What Else is being Cut from Wrath?

So we know now that LFD is just DOA because something something fabric of community excuses. Apparently figuring out how to get to a dungeon is super critical to being able to socialize.

We also know that Dual Spec is only a maybe because of how popular it is but the Devs think hybrid specs need preserving for reasons, but the same Dev Team doesn’t even seem to understand how it even worked originally (Birmingham’s feed has him asking questions about DS being usable in combat as if that was ever a thing).

We also know that the same Devs are looking to implement SoM changes to alter player behavior they don’t find acceptable within the spirit of the game.

EDIT: So Faction/Race changes, a former Wrath feature, are gone, as well as the DE option alongside Greed/Need/Pass when it is set to group loot.

So what else is going away in the name of “Spirit of Classic”?

• Are we going to lose Heirlooms? These make leveling easier and more solo friendly but also make it even less likely someone trudges halfway across Azeroth to do a single run of RFD.
  • Are we going to be restricted to only 25m or 10m raids per lockout? Devs have already mused about this (again showing ignorance of the game) by looking at ways to prevent players from doing four raids per lockout, something that only happened with ToGC, on a raid that only has bosses.
  • Are dungeon quests going to not be migrated to the dungeons themselves? Part of the convenience of LFD brought with it changes to the quest chains for dungeons so people could complete those without having to do an entire zone or two to get them. Without LFD is this feature gone as well because it is too convenient?
  • Are pets and mounts going to be trainable? Having all your pets and mounts in your bags is very Vanilla-esque, and in original Wrath we could just use them like a consumable and pick our pet/mount of choice without sacrificing bag space. Is that not classic-y enough?
  • Is the tabard-rep system going to remain? Instead of having to go to Violet Hold to build Kirin Tor rep, you could just wear a Kirin Tor tabard and go to any dungeon and build rep for them. Is this too convenient for the classic crew?
  • What will become of hardmodes and heroic raid content? Split difficulties were contentious at the time and only worsened in Cata with the introduction of LFR. The elite didn’t like the non-elite seeing end-game content in a nerfed state and wanted there to be only a single difficulty for every tier like in Vanilla and TBC.
  • Anything else?

But hey, at least we can buy a lvl70 boost and then queue up for a same faction BG…

59 Likes

They should’ve just left it alone and if they actually wanted to change something had a community pole, advertise it and gagued player feedback that way like how OSRS does it.

Them making the decision based off of what the community wants where I’ve seen otherwise is a funny statement they made.

18 Likes

The hope is nothing is touched because retail devs are insanely out of touch with what players want / what makes games fun. The best you can hope is limited damage

5 Likes

Heirlooms: No mention yet, but they seem to be fine and in the spirit of classic as they encourage handleveling instead of mage/pally which is great.

Lockouts: They are working on it. Hopefully they do alleviate the need to run four lockouts a week, but it’s not a huge deal.

Dungeon quest: Hopefully they remain in the outside world. Having everything in the dungeon is against the spirit of classic.

Achievements: There were confirmed to be there, but individual (not account wide) by Brian is his interview with Josh Corbett

Pets and Mounts: Yeah that doesn’t take away from the spirit of classic. Ion’s take that some systems make sense to modernize, some don’t probably covers this.

Hardmodes: This would be fine if left as is. Ulduar hardmodes are fine.

The tried and true arguing of a 70 boost and same faction BG is great. Maybe new material comes soon though.

3 Likes

I heard the disenchant button for random dungeons is being removed because “that’s taking advantage of someone’s profession”… It’s like they’re trying to remove all qol improvements for some reason.

1 Like

So you just confirmed that you’d be happy with more things cut from the game. Neat.

Oh joy.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d be fine either way. Hopefully they cut everything that isn’t in the spirit of classic (boosts and same faction BGs included), but I won’t lose sleep over it. The classic trilogy is phenomenal and I’m having a blast so hopefully it continues with a design intent that remains true as much as possible to the “spirit of classic”.

“Spirit of classic” isn’t synonymous with Vanilla when we’re talking about Wrath.

7 Likes

Perhaps. Though from listening to quite a few interviews from Brian yesterday, it seems that Classic has become a sort of mentality or mantra if you will.

The goal isn’t authenticity to wrath from what I gathered. His PoV is that Wrath is when the game started shifting more and more to a more “retail” philosophy (make of that what you will) and that LFD especially was a “wrong turn” for him in the aspect of socialization, community, etc. It was also brought up that even the devs at the time were quite torn on adding the feature. The argument presented is that it is a chance to do something different this time.

2 Likes

You know the person that announced the LFD not being included in classic is the project lead right?

The pearl clutching is a little over the top don’t you think? Imagine soap boxing because the killed LFD lol

3 Likes

I honestly don’t see why people are so outraged.

I’d say the only thing I’ll miss about LFD is the nice loot bag reward. Otherwise good riddance, the game doesn’t need it.

4 Likes

a little over dramatic arent we?

3 Likes

Then they should be fired, because they have no idea what the community wants.

7 Likes

I’m not even sure that WotLK dungeon finder had loot bags. I remember badges, but like badges that replaced the daily quest giver, so not a net gain on badges.

1 Like

the community has no idea of what it wants
everyone will give a different answer and call each other names if they are disagreed upon

2 Likes

hello up there /wave

Knowing what the forum Karen’s want vs what the actual full on community wants are entirely different. I guarantee you there’s a silent majority plenty satisfied without LFD.

1 Like

hur hur this Fasc guy actually cares about the direction WoTLK Classic may be headed hur hur imagine being unironically passionate about something hur hur hur zoomerhaircut.jpeg hur hur

Right, I’m gathering that as well, which makes me not want to play some bastardized “fixed it” version of later expansions. I looked forward to playing Wrath as Wrath with Wrath features, not Wrath-but-Classic.

I looked forward to Cataclysm as well because I figured it would do remarkably better the 2nd go-around without the poor initial tuning and the foreknowledge of how the game changed. The raids in Cata were very good quality all around.

Now I don’t think we’ll even see Cata or beyond, and if we do it won’t even be remotely close to what it was, and I have no interest in some half-baked reboot midstride.

They’re cutting features in an ad hoc manner. LFD isn’t the only thing cut, so I’d rather know now rather than wait for Beta to figure out exactly what butchered version of the game we actually get.

I legitimately enjoyed spending idle time doing LFD on my alts, more so than doing daily quests. But it isn’t just because LFD is gone. Dual Spec is going to get restrictions. Raid lockouts are going to get screwed with. SoM changes are going to get tossed in. That stuff isn’t even speculation, that’s their own words.

Not at all, just want them to actually communicate what they’re doing rather than make vague references to an amorphous “Spirit of Classic” paradigm that I have to hunt down on their Twitter feeds or in one-off interviews. They’re interested and have already invested in removing things from Wrath that started the “trend towards Retail” so I’d like to know what else they’re cutting.

Sure it does, I just wish the Devs would put things more clearly.

6 Likes