We need range Survival Hunters back

With both encounters in the Crucible of Storms raid focused on heavy multiple targeting high-end raiders are stacking Affliction Warlocks, Elemental Shamans, and Shadow Priests to over come these fights. These fights are not good for melee specs, as they will usually be too far for any target swaps and targets won’t be close enough for any cleave, which leave Hunters out. However, one spec that could have overcome these limitations is no longer available,what Hunters really are lacking is the run-and-gun DoT play style that ranged SV brought. With Serpent Spread they could automatically apply multiple targets. They could use Explosive Shot on multiple targets by exploiting the constant influx of adds by having them throw DoTs on all targets, giving them a surplus of Lock and Load procs to maximize DPS. For additional DoTs they could use Black Arrow or when targets were close together throw out a Explosive Trap. However, the greatest strength that they had even over Warlocks, Shamans, or Priests is they were highly mobile and could easily move out of areas quickly or even bypass some mechanics completely. All honestly only 0.1% of the players need to worry about this class stacking since many probably don’t even make an it to a Mythic raid, but this also relates to Mythic+ were we see groups only taking specs cause they can handle large groups of enemies. We do not need to loose a spec either to bring this play-style back just find a way to actually fit old SV into current MM or bring it back a a 4th spec. Hunters use to bring so much to a raid, but now have been push to the bench in favor of “bring the spec not the player” mentality. What Hunters need now is a spec that reminds other classes what our strengths are that is why range Survival needs to return.

134 Likes

No, it doesn’t :roll_eyes:

60 Likes

Dunno dude, not level 120 yet but I like having a melee option.

44 Likes

Learn to read I said we do not need to loose melee Survival for range to come back.

28 Likes

I love to simply have Chackrams buffed to give survival a more hybrid melee/ranges feel.

9 Likes

I think they could get rid of some talents that are never used and shuffle some other talents around to give Survival a viable ranged and/or melee build.

8 Likes

Interesting concept as well it could be full range or melee, and even hybrid just by choosing talents. Would please some of the crowd.

6 Likes

Play BM, run into melee range, DPS from there. Problem solved.

24 Likes

Yeah, I always considered bows the best spears/swords/axes, great solution, simply genius!

Sorry angry dorf, I should have said TL;DR.

1 Like

We absolutely need ranged survival back.

There is a shortage of fun ranged specs. Nearly every guild in the game is trying to find more ranged dps yet less people than ever want to play one. Class design for ranged has been so garbage we’ve reached the point where far more people want to play healers than ranged.

51 Likes

Sorry, should have know you needed the CliffsNotes version.

4 Likes

Isn’t there like thirteen or so melee DPS specs in the game already?

Did we really need another one to bloat the list even more? Especially when it involved the sacrifice of a spec many of us had enjoyed for over 10 years up until that point.

41 Likes

BM is about pets but that is their also greatest weakness, no pet means no damage. Then MM is just playing a caster with a bow, need to stand in the fire or move and loose dps. There needs to be the medium that has the freedom of movement but does not have to stop moving.

7 Likes

The sad thing is, they could very easily give the SV playstyle back while using MM talents. That was kinda the entire reason they even put Serpent Sting and Explosive Shot in as options. That alone means they know some people still long for that playstyle. Unfortunately they failed at implementing it as a possibility through talents.

Revert Explosive Shot to it’s old style. Buff Serpent Sting a bit. Add Black Arrow as a talent, hell make it replace Steady Focus(make this baseline instead). Etc… I mean, it really wouldn’t take much at all to bring back the ranged SV playstyle at all. That or give us the Druid treatment with a forth spec, which they did for Druids because Guardian and Feral were basically the same talent tree albeit small differences. So why can’t that work for Hunters?

I was SV from BC up until it was removed. Melee SV isn’t a bad spec but it shouldn’t have replaced ranged SV.

12 Likes

You didn’t specify that; you just said “melee”. Why does it need to be spears/swords/axes in particular? The only real reason is RP-related, a.k.a. something that doesn’t matter; if you want to gawk at your hunter with an axe or a sword in Goldshire you were perfectly able to do that when all 3 Hunter specs were ranged specs. As far as I’m concerned you should be content with going BM and fighting in melee range while pretending you’re wielding a sword.

No, they can’t. Even in your plan there you are missing large parts of ranged SV while also limiting MM’s talent options. If you ignore that latter problem and go ahead and get all the ranged SV elements in MM and somehow exclude mechanics that don’t make sense for ranged SV like Aimed Shot and Rapid Fire you are now left with a ranged SV that literally has 0 talent options, as any changed talents would break the spec and each talent row depends on your choices in another to make the whole thing work. It’s a terrible idea, plain and simple

10 Likes

The entire reason for even adding Serpent Sting, Explosive Shot and Lock and Load, for example, was to provide a way to still have the SV playstyle. I stated as much, and even acknowledged that they failed in its implementation. They could also very easily make Serpent Sting replace Rapid Fire(and thus Streamline could buff the duration of Serpent Sting) and have Explosive Shot replace Aimed Shot. So your two “don’t make sense abilities” wouldn’t even be an issue. Would it be perfect? Absolutely not, but it’d still provide a semblance of the old SV.

You are also cherry picking my words, completely ignoring that I also said…

What I’m trying to say is that they are clearly aware some players still want the old SV. That is the ENTIRE reason they have some of Survival’s kit as MM’s talents. But currently its failing hardcore. So they need to augment things further or just make old SV a 4th spec.

8 Likes

Melee Hunter, best Hunter.

19 Likes

The main reason why the current melee survival is ineffective is becoz its redundant. It cant do anything special against other melee classes. Maybe bloodlust, but thats it. Put survival on range like what it was before and they would become special.

15 Likes

Just get rid of melee already. Waste of a spec.

29 Likes

Citation needed.

How.