Warcraft: Sylvanas spoilers

This is even more an issue when you are in THE AFTERLIFE. Death isnt much of a threat, you know?

To be fair, we have done worse for less. I recall sending some troll souls to some Loa to be tortured for eternity back in Wrath.

That’s a consequence to having the curtains pulled back on the afterlife. We can no longer imagine what we felt they deserved and that they got it in the hereafter.

Im not saying it doesnt make for a decent story. But to complain that someone isnt tortured enough beyond torture and death is pretty twisted.

2 Likes

So is the answer to my question a resounding yes?

I made a list of crimes Sylvanas committed against people who had ZERO part in whatever she lived through. Her atonement or punishment or whatever you want to call it only covers a portion of her list of crimes.

And you seem to be insinuating that to balance those scales her feeling bad about it is punishment enough.
So.
This means the next villain can slaughter and torture as they like but as long as they feel bad about it then they can freely continue.

3 Likes

Surprisingly got extremely close to bingo but always missing one

3 Likes

Not only has Sylvanas been tormented since her ressurection as a Banshee, but she is literally being sent “live” into the maw to be tormented and do labor.

2 Likes

I for one welcome our new Trinity

Tyrande the Mother
Sylvanas Christ
And Dorithur the Spooky Cop

4 Likes

There is no way to balance scales. Not really. That is as true in our stories as it is in RL.

1 Like

My point is that there is no balancing of the scales. You dont kill the bad guy to satisfy a thirst for vengeance. You dont torture the criminal to try to make the victims feel better. You remove the threat. Thats all you can do. If you can successfully remove the threat through rehabilitation, especially if they have been mentally broken, then you do that. If you can only kill them, or banish them, then you do that.

There will never be enough blood to satisfy the victims.

4 Likes

There is certainly many things that can be done to balance the scales here and now but it is not being done. Which is my complaint.

So the victims get their dues to suffer and die. The survivors have to live with that loss and the criminal in question gets a therapy session. And then are allowed to do whatever they want.

Wonderful.

7 Likes

This reminds me of this great movie called The Interpreter. There’s this scene at the end where they explain “The drowing man trial” about revenge and forgiveness.

This movie deals with genocide. So contextually it’s similar. It’s such a good philisophical debate.

“Everyone who loses somebody wants revenge on someone, on God if they can’t find anyone else. But in Africa, in Matobo, the Ku believe that the only way to end grief is to save a life. If someone is murdered, a year of mourning ends with a ritual that we call the Drowning Man Trial. There’s an all-night party beside a river. At dawn, the killer is put in a boat. He’s taken out on the water and he’s dropped. He’s bound so that he can’t swim. The family of the dead then has to make a choice. They can let him drown or they can swim out and save him. The Ku believe that if the family lets the killer drown, they’ll have justice but spend the rest of their lives in mourning. But if they save him, if they admit that life isn’t always just… that very act can take away their sorrow.”

3 Likes

Casual reminder arguing in universe is not only weird, but also illogical given what we know of the IRL issues that shaped this narrative and incoherent given the epistemological root of Sylvanas committing genocide is Lava Eel Vore convincing her Zovaal is Family Friendly.

You’re all being absurd and you should embrace dadaism

6 Likes

Except sounds to me like she is actually enjoying or at least getting some satisfaction out of it and heck she might end up getting her dear Nathanos.

Hell, if there was some divine justice maybe she will find Nathanos in the same state as the night elves souls destroyed by the Jailer, let her soul live knowing her Nathanos is gone forever like the rest of the surviving night elves.

2 Likes

What? /10char

I could not be more clear.

No, I knew what you meant. I’m asking for an example. What can be done to balance the scales for the victims? What can bring back the dead? What can restore Teldrassil? What can erase the trauma?

You got a reality making machine.
You got an afterlife that focuses on rebirth.
You got a life god on your corner.
You got magic.

In short:
For righting the scales, have Sylvanas suffer every death she caused on her victims.
Then have her ferry them back to arbiter.
Put them into the printing machine.
Have Elune and WQ work their little cycle of rebirth and send them to their destination on an express ticket.

~fin

Extra content. Sylvanas poofs away like a fart in the wind like arthas did.

5 Likes

Turn her into 35 anima like what happened to Arthas. Sounds to me like that gave her some degree of peace. If nothing else then she can be forgotten about as well.

2 Likes

so effectively a particularly sadistic retcon?

12 Likes