Warcraft Short Story: We Ride Forth

More he just didn’t want to risk you getting under Sylvanas’s control.

The simplest answer is unfortunately that the deathlord is not canon. Legion’s class halls were fun and a neat bit of story for each class, but the “every player is the leader of a massive organization” part was always questionable.

The final events of Legion, where the artifacts were sacrificed, showed us other class NPCs on the airship with us and in doing so showed who the canon leaders of the 12 Orders were. Mograine is the leader of the Ebon Blade in the story, sadly your character does not exist.

1 Like

thats for me is just an assumption.
just like hall of reflexion lore happened with both jaina and sylvanas even though it doesnt make sense, id say we are the same.

I mean, I don’t recall a ton of lore in that dungeon beyond “group of people led by an NPC poke the wrong sword and then run away”. The class halls, conversely, advanced a metric ton of lore (to varying degrees, depending on your class) so realistically there’s no way that everything your player did was actually done by them as far as the static story of the universe is concerned.

I mean, as the priest leader Calia technically still works for me, but she hasn’t really asked my advice too much in the last two years.

I’m not sure if that’s the answer (if the Deathlord exists in canon). During the DK mount quest, when you’re on the iceberg to finally raise the dragon, he mentions that if you die there he’ll take control of the Ebon Blade. If the only thing stopping him from taking control of the Ebon Blade was the Deathlord, I see basically two reasons for it.

Either the Deathlord was the only one that he saw as useful enough to lead them in his stead or the Deathlord was a threat to him. In the second case, the Deathlord would have to be able to resist him. Otherwise, he would’ve done whatever he felt like and just dominated the Deathlord just like he did the Mograine.

Honestly, this is my bet. Even if they didn’t want to involve the Deathlord directly since we weren’t actually, you know, there, it would’ve made sense for one of them to at least bring up the Deathlord. They all had their doubts about their success. If the Deathlord was canon, it would’ve made sense for Darion to go “The aftermath Fourth War and N’Zoth’s invasion has occupied the Deathlord’s attention. We cannot wait for them.” to explain why they didn’t bring us along.

1 Like

i wish this kinda os question showed up in a future interview, im surprised people never asked about it.

Still not a good thing to risk

Highlord Grill-Rite pawned your Rolodex card and ate the ticket.

1 Like

I really enjoyed this read. Death Knights are actually the class I’ve decided to main for Shadowlands, if only because they seem to be central to what’s going on in Azeroth right now. I absolutely loved their class campaign for Legion; this is awesome.

1 Like

Great story! I really liked the interaction between Trollbane and Nazgrim and reading about the running joke they have.

3 Likes

WOW! What a great short story. DK lore is probably my favorite fantasy lore across the board, and I really enjoyed reading what the splitting of the Helm was like for DKs.

Not cut off, but independent. As shown in the short story, the Lich King was always there as a presence in their minds. Even when not in control, the Lich King was… there. Connected, I think I saw someone say above.

I don’t think it’s an assumption. Game play and lore are always a little bit different, but I distinctly recall an official WoW source (maybe their Twitter?) saying that the Deathlord (and all the other class leaders) were not canon lore-wise.

I’ll see if I can find it. It was quite some time ago.

3 Likes

Man this was a great story and I loved the learning about their connection to Bolvar.

5 Likes

the original death knights were orc souls placed on human bodies, i guess this is a throwback to that? i agree it wouldve been amusing to have more variety but alas…

Does it explain why they now follow Bolvar and not the Deathlord? I don’t remember officially leaving my position.

https://youtu.be/FqDIVx09fF0

1 Like

Excellent. Can’t wait for my death gate to take me back to Northrend instead of next to my Dalaran hearthstone. Very much enjoyed.

2 Likes

Wow that was a good story to read! Much thanks to the Author Robert Brooks… you did good!

2 Likes

Yeah, this is an MMO, not a single player game. Player characters aren’t canon.

Awesome story btw.

They could not know love, joy, or anger like the living did.

Did anyone else get bothered by this line? The writing seems so inconsistent. So many undead characters are characterized by anger such as Sira Moonwarden, Sylvanas, and even zombie ghouls that are pure rage.

1 Like

They sent you in a snack run and forgot to beep your pager