War of the Thorns killed the Warcraft franchise

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/380912732884697088/1122705947014475876/image.png

Would’ve had Deathbringer too, but there was a missing achievement for it and I’m never not gonna be angry about it.

Jaina escaped with no harm. Argus was weaker then the strongest alliance mage.

Dark Iron are amazing.

One of the things I like to do when I level is have my characters do appropriate zones/quests for who they are.

I like taking my Dark Iron to dwarven zones where they haven’t updated the quest text, and wait for them to say things like ‘filthy dark irons’.

Then I just /glare.

This is…how I amuse myself.

5 Likes

Thanks, Erevien.

I was afraid I was being too subtle, but way to explain my examples.

1 Like

Is it weird that I find talk of Canon and Shadowlands jarring? I mean, I think I just subconsciously thought there was a tacit agreement that Shadowlands was a colossal F- Up, and as far as the actual lore of the game, it was just to be ignored, and it’s story just didn’t count.

11 Likes

I mean, there’s like 3 things I’d smuggle out in a knapsack but most of it is utter nonsense that invalidates so much that was previously established in the setting to build up a boss that’s about as interesting as a pile of wet, broken down cardboard.

But that’s just my opinion.

8 Likes

A friend of mine said - and the more I think about it, the more I agree with it - that the story of Shadowlands was fine, even interesting…but not within the World of Warcraft. Had it been a standalone thing, it would have been genuinely interesting.

The Covenants all had their own defined identities, and there were some standout players in each of them. There were politics, betrayal, sacrifice (show me someone who didn’t get at least a little bit misty-eyed when you had to have an audience with the Winter Queen about Ysera, and I will show you a liar), redemption, duty…there was a lot. It touched on some interesting concepts. Bastion and Revendreth, for example. They respect each other. Bastion is about letting go of your past, Revendreth is about accepting and atoning for it. Each makes sense based on who you are, what your goal is, and all this other stuff.

As a standalone, it was absolutely interesting. I don’t think I know anyone who didn’t like it their first play through, because it was interesting.

It wasn’t WoW, though. It was an episode of a series that’s really a test pilot for another show. It has a few references to things that happened in the general show, but…it’s so far out there and divorced from what we’ve learned that it just feels…weird.

Hey, hey. Look. Houndmaster Loksey is in Revendreth? Eh? Eh? Remember him? It’s all connected. Except that most people playing probably don’t remember him (they revamped the Scarlet Monastery during the Cataclysm, I think), so…it’s just…it loses some impact.

But I think that’s why it feels jarring. I, myself, just remind myself that there are supposed to be several realms, so I just figure all of the people who have passed in game who could have been referenced were safe in another realm.

Another realm of the Shadowlands, run by people who actually know what they’re doing. Because one of the main themes I noticed in the Shadowlands is that everybody is really bad at their jobs. But that’s another story.

Yeah, though. I get that it’s jarring. Mostly because of:

:point_down:

12 Likes

Shadowlands is fine, the problems are largely,

1. Night Warrior
  2. Forcing the Emerald Dream into the Death cosmology.
  3. Zovaal should not have planned everything. He should’ve taken advantage of other people’s failures.
  4. No god (but Titans, I guess) should be a robot. Not a single one.
  5. Vol’jin/Rezan should be back.
  6. As Ardenweald should not in any way, shape, or form exist, the Other Side should’ve been the zone we went to.
  7. Downplay the valkyr, they’re not half as interesting as Danuser thinks they are.
  8. Kyrestia should’ve been a main villain, and the first raid we went to.
  9. Bolvar should remain neutral and not at all in any way, shape, or form alive or a paladin.
  10. DEATH KNIGHTS SHOULD HAVE FROSTMOURNE TRANSMOG.

I’m sure there are other things, but these are the big ones in my mind.

5 Likes

If you mean how the night warrior quests end, then yes, i agree

To ardenweald and other side, the other side as its own zone would be fine, ardenweald can exist without the other side inside ardenweald.

No.

Azeroth is the youngest planet in the cosmos.
The Emerald Dream is younger than Azeroth.
The Shadowlands have existed from the very moment life existed.

Ardenweald is a narrative blackhole that is only filled with nelf-supporting, setting-destructive retcons.

We knew where night elven wild gods went when they died. We had literally just seen them in Legion within the Emerald Dream.

4 Likes

Setting destruktive? Whut?

The Dream is most likely linked to the garden of life, atleast is highly hinted

Instead of a death zone, we went to the Emerald Dream with living plants and animals that need to be relocated because they’re too destructive to the other living plants and animals in this very living Emerald Dream realm in the death-aligned Shadowlands.

Ardenwald is a night elf zone. An entire zone of the afterlife for a single race is unique. Nelf fans are so spoiled they think they deserve all the quality food.

So, the Night Elf army would have sent the entire Horde home.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Home turf advantage or no home turf advantage, that’s pretty OP.

2 Likes

Sounds like typical alliance power fantasy entitlement.

2 Likes

The books implied that at that point, the homefield advantage (no small thing when you’re talking about night elves) and the difficulties of fighting an offensive action deep in enemy territory would be too much. Though in this setting and PARTICULARLY in this event, logistics only matter if they help the plot work.

And give the rest of the Alliance time to react.

2 Likes

Blizz could also have written it so that it wasn’t the might of the entire Horde that was brought to bear (and thus get defeated). Even in the Live version it’s a silly matchup that annoyed everyone involved, with that oft-quoted 8-1 kill ratio by the reassigned city guard.

3 Likes

That basically almost did happen in A Good War:

“The night elves have outmaneuvered us, High Overlord,” Sylvanas said. She sounded irritated.

“Yes, they have.”

“We cannot advance into this forest, and we cannot bring our siege weapons onto the shore without losing them,” she said. “The Alliance’s reinforcements will arrive before we can break this the hard way. Do you disagree?”

“No, Warchief.” Saurfang could not imagine a solution that would work. And yes, the “hard way” would take too long, if it worked at all. Maybe—maybe—with some teamwork between magi, warlocks, and shaman, the Horde could force the wisps back one tree at a time and then destroy the tree, eliminating cover inch by inch. But managing it all while under attack from the water? It would take weeks. The Alliance reinforcements would arrive, making it impossible to cross the waters from Darkshore.

As it stood, the night elves would win this battle.

Now the Horde needed a miracle.

Even without the home turf advantage, it was supposed to be the Night Elf army alone that was sent to fight off the entire Horde army once they reached Silithus.

Though, on the flip side, despite being apparently so overpowered, the Night Elves were tricked into thinking the Horde was going to Silithus, which obviously didn’t make the Night Elves look very smart.

3 Likes

Classic alliance favoritism. I am not surprised.

1 Like

I agree with this. I even remember bringing this up as far back as 2018:

3 Likes