Unable to play Kyrian/NF. No soulbind access

I have another post that was moved here days ago with. Hoping that something about moving posts means they won’t receive blue responses. Remaking a fresh one in CS in the hope of getting a blue response since I can’t actually play the game without dev intervention atm.

Problem

If you return quests in a certain order then you’ll be locked out of the soulbind skip for 9.1.5 AND placed into a broken state where you’ll never be able to click on the soulforge. You’ll also fail to unlock the first soulbind in the covenant. Progressing through the campaign is possible. Even unlocking the second/third soulbinds is possible (but not the first), but you’ll never be able to use them.

Repro steps

• Have a character with 80 renown
  • Have all of the campaigns from 9.0 done on alts
  • Switch from your main covenant to a new covenant. In my case, this was Venthyr (80) → Kyrian on my DK, Kyrian (80) → NF on my Warrior
  • Pick up the quests you see available to you in the covenant swap area. For Kyrian, you’ll get Elysian Hold and Return to Ardrestes. For NF you’ll get The Boon of Shapes and Flutterback.
  • Do the opening ceremony for the covenant. On Kyrian, this is that kneeling quest outside of spires of ascension. On NF, you kneel in heart of the forest surrounded by all those blue creatures.
  • For Kyrian, if you complete Return to Ardestes before taking the covenant skip option then you can never unlock your first soulbind or use the soulforge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftQRJJ6J-Dg.
  • For NF, if you complete Flutterback before taking the covenant skip option then you can never unlock your first soulbind or use the soulforge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFs5wQtTRoc

To make things more lame, you can actually get the soulforge to open to demonstrate that things are completely broken. I’m 6/9 Kyrian campaign on my DK, so I’ve unlocked Kleia, and I can see a broken soulforge IF I use one of the crescent conduit upgrade items. It triggers the soulforge to open even though I can’t click it, and I can see that I have kleia unlocked, but not Pelegos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ9bcLn6bxQ

It’s been over a week like this and I really want to actually play 9.1.5. I would appreciate any attention I can get on this towards a fix.

2 Likes

Assuming you’ve opened a ticket, what did the Game Master say?

You mean the in-game ticket? They said they can’t help and I should try to “get some attention” on the forums. It was very unhelpful.

I don’t recall any of the responses directing you to “get some attention” on the forums, Olberon. One of the Game Master’s said the following.

In order for this situation to get more visibility, I kindly ask you to report this through our forums, via this link : https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/support/bug-report/17

Submissions posted there have the benefit of allowing a community discussion around high-impact bugs, which can occasionally help in prioritizing them.

You may also report the bug via the in-game bug report tool, since it’s the best way to reach our developer team. Here’s a guide on how to do it depending on which version of the game you are playing : https://support.blizzard.com/article/000172958

Increased visibility on an issue basically means by posting in the Bug Report forum it allows others who may be experiencing a similar issue to add to the reports that our QA team will then be able to investigate.

You are unlikely to receive a blue response for a bug report. The Bug Report forum is a place to report possible bugs and where QA gathers those reports so they can be looked into. They rarely will reply unless they need to ask for specific information.

I am sorry for what frustration this has caused you.

6 Likes

Visibility was the word, yes, not attention.

You have to understand this from a customer’s point of view. They game is totally broken in the only place that matters for them, they open a ticket because they’re powerless to help and the ticket is the only avenue, and the person that represents blizzard says they also can’t help.

I clearly didn’t understand the support structure but I really shouldn’t have to. At the end of the day I can’t play and I’m desperately reaching out to blizzard reps who either won’t respond or can’t help.

Also, I mentioned blue responses in bug report forums to justify this being in THIS forum. Someone previously moved it to bug reports against my wishes. I’m not saying there should be blue responses there, just that I need one and that’s why this is here.

What should I be doing? Logging in every day to see if its still broken?

1 Like

Part of moderation is making sure that a thread is in the correct location. Your thread was a bug report, it belonged in the bug report forum.

Just because Support Forum Agents reply in this forum doesn’t mean that we can assist with your issue. We’re not associated with QA or Development, we cannot assist with possible bugs. No other type of blue poster is going to jump into a thread here.

You can check the hotfix blog for possible updates. Though not all bug fixes will be noted there. Hopefully, any resolution found will be retroactive and you’ll be able to log into your character and continue playing normally.

If I find out any informaiton I’ll be happy to update this thread.

5 Likes

That’s fine, I didn’t say you have to personally fix it, but PLEASE tell me HOW to get help, because you’re one of the sole two customer support representatives that I, as a normal player, can find (This forum and in game tickets) and I have no way of helping myself. Obviously QA/Dev can fix the issue but they don’t appear to have any channels to communicate with customers.

There must be someone that can actually help a paying customer who can’t play the game because of a technical issue. I had to unsub because I have no indication of when/if this will get fixed, which means I have no idea how long I can’t play.

They did, you post in Bug Reports and QA will need to look into it and see how they can fix it without breaking anything else. No one is going to be able to fix the issue for you, it will be fixed for everyone when QA is able to fix it. You can still play the game, just because you can’t do one thing that you really want to do doesn’t mean that the game is unplayable. Nothing is preventing you from logging in and playing the game.

6 Likes

I appreciate the implication that it works this way, but in reality it doesn’t tell me much. For example, my warlock teammate reported bugs about his fel hounds not working in boss encounters in DoS and SD. Those bugs were just fixed recently after 8 months of waiting with no feedback. There is a big difference in experience between knowing that something is being worked on and hoping its being worked on. I’m sure you’re aware that we’re in a bit of a content drought. While it’s true that I can physically log in, I can’t actually do anything until 9.2 rolls around because I’ve fully consumed content that I’m interested in, aside from trying interesting new builds with NF/Kyrian of course, the big selling point of 9.1.5 for a player like me.

I’m hoping this can just be taken as feedback that communication and setting expectations go a very long way to calming frustrations. This ticket is, after all, the first communication I’ve had on the issue since it started weeks ago.

2 Likes

I honestly get the frustration, I really do. I’m giving you the answer that Blizzard will give you (personally I’ve always thought their communications around bugs and such has been lacking). I will say that QA is a thankless task and has a good amount of luck involved with it. Sometimes a bug is just elusive for no real reason and can take way more time than anyone would like to fix.

A recent example of this would be the disappearance of paid for transmogs in game. No one has been able to actually recreate the bug at Blizzard yet and haven’t been able to even start to look into how to fix it yet.

2 Likes

I get it also, I’m a developer myself. And there’s been enough news about Blizzard to know that QA at Blizzard is especially thankless. Here’s my real ask: when a customer submits a bug that prevents them from consuming content from a portion of the game, a ticket is created and that ticket can be scheduled and tracked to set expectations about when/if something is going to change.

This is pretty common for open source projects, for example, and the scale is obviously larger here but the current structure of support is the cause for this issues and Blizzard has the ability to restructure it however they would like to. Any system where players don’t have to wait for undefined periods of time for bug fixes would be a huge improvement.

I mean, imagine being able to see that your issue is scheduled for work to start in two sprints. That would immediately tell me everything I need to know and I could just come back then without any guess work or failed hopes.

3 Likes

From what I can see on your Death Knight, you have the quest “Into the Reservoir” available. That is part of the initial introduction to that covenant. It may not help with the skip, but it may allow you to access the Soulbinds.

The same for your Warrior. You may try following the advice in your quest journal. Specifically, by speaking with Lady Moonberry and picking up Show, don’t tell and continuing with that chain.

3 Likes

Thank you for the actionable recommendation. I’ll try that tonight. I really don’t want to do the covenant campaign but having soulbinds is better than having no soulbinds. If that works, then the only remaining bug will be not having the skip as an option.

1 Like

See, if this works, then there’s not really a bug to fix. The option to skip is to skip these “explore the sanctum”-type quests. Once you get through the 3-4 quests, you no longer need any kind of skip button.

I believe that is part of your confusion. You passed the point where the skip is possible, so now you have to do the intro quests.

Now, if you complete all these intro quests, or as Vrak said:

…and you still cannot get your soulbinds, then add that to the Bug Report Forum. That is more information that could help.

1 Like

Well there’s definitely a bug to fix here. It shouldn’t be possible to put yourself in a state where you have the second, but not the first soulbind, and the only method of opening the soulforge is to use a crescent to upgrade a conduit. All of that should have been gated on whatever pre-requisite you actually had to follow in reality.

Then there’s just the absolutely tragic fact that if you turn quests in the wrong order then you permanently lose the ability to skip. That’s a massive, massive, feels bad. Keep in mind, you get both the normal campaign quest, as well as the quest line that let’s you skip at the same time. There’s no obvious notion of order and no indication that you’re about to lose your chance to skip.

Perhaps. It could be a bug, or it could be a decision from Blizzard that you don’t agree with. If it’s the former, then your recourse is to report it in the Bug Report Forum. To be honest, I think it’s a unforeseen consequence of the catchup mechanic when you select Threads of Fate. You now get renown for almost everything you do while leveling, so you hit 60 near 40 Renown, maybe even higher.

I don’t think order has much to do with it, but I’ve been wrong before. That could be a suggestion for the Bug Report Forum. But honestly, let’s take a step back from the ledge. If you miss the ability to skip these quests, you added about 20 minutes to your playtime to actually do the quests you could have skipped. This is simply not that critical of an issue.

1 Like

Yeah, I think “unforseen consequence” is a euphemism for bug. I really don’t think they intended this state to exist, that’s safe to say.

Order totally has everything to do with it! Did you see my repro video above? You have two quests to turn in. Pick the wrong one and you’re hosed. You can set it up very easily on an alt as well. I did it intentionally on my warrior to file this bug.

Woa, you’re definitely confused. This doesn’t add 20 minutes, it makes you actually play the campaign to unlock your soulbinds, which is hours, not minutes.

1 Like

The intro to your sanctum quests include your first soulbind. That’s your issue, as stated above:

If you think you’ve figured it out, then add this information to the Bug Report Forum. That is the ONLY place where your information, right or wrong, can help.

I really don’t understand what you’re trying to say. Do you think that if I do the quest to submit 1000 anima that the option to skip will re-appear? I’m going to try and see if that’s true tonight, we don’t know that yet.

I did, it’s been there…

That’s because you aren’t really listening to what is being told to you, even by the Blue responses you’ve received.

Assuming you are 100% correct about every single thing you said, posting here does not help. You need to add all your information to the Bug Report Forum. If you have already done that, then you wait until they isolate the bug, correct it, and push it to the live servers.

Once again, as Vrak said to you above:

It’s much easier to continue doing quests, instead of completely shutting down and acting like there’s nothing you can do.