UI Flickering Issue on Nvidia Drivers 430.87, 430.97, 431.36

I recently got some screen flickering issue with the last 2 nvidia drivers, reverting back to old driver 430.39 fixes the issue. The flickering is very random, sometimes its just the ui elements like icons and minimap, sometimes its the game world, sometimes its like someone is flashing a camera on my screen.

It is not a gsync issue because it happens even if its disabled, and i dont want to go back to an old driver because these new drivers fixes an issue i have with other games, it just broke wow for me.

Im using an rtx 2070 with a Gigabyte AD27QD monitor. The issue is happening with the latest 430.97 and 430.86. Reverting to an april driver 430.39 fixes the issue completely.

19 Likes

Thank you. I just did the recent Nvidia update and noticed I was getting weird flickering, sometimes on action bars or world map, sometimes random flickers on the screen.

I had done a UI reset and scan & repair with no luck, so I’ll try to roll back the driver and see if that works.

3 Likes

I noticed the same issue here with a gtx1660ti and the most recent Nvidia Drivers. I will roll back and see if the issue is resolved. It is like random parts of the UI flicker.

Thanks for the report! I moved this over to a new thread so we can gather more reports over the UI flickering issue.

@ Penny & @ Belrosh, could you let me know if reverting to 430.39 helps? It’s recommended to pick up the 430.53 hotfix drivers as well since the 430.39 has been known to cause some CPU usage spikes.

We have seen this issue before with Gsync/Freesync or the refresh rate. If this is applicable, please try disabling Gsync/Freesync to test.

The issue is hard to reproduce so you are going to have to give me some time to test. I did go back to 430.39 but it caused the high display container cpu usage issue. Currently on the 430.86 drivers and was able to reproduce in Stone Talon mountains. Oddly enough it seems to be based on camera viewing angle and zone time of day. I will report back when I have produced more consistent results.

2 Likes

I just got a new PC and updated to the latest drivers. Was a little worried something was wrong with the PC. I’m happy to see that it’s a known issue. I’m using the 430.86 driver. The game isn’t unplayable but I still see the flickering sometimes.

omg im having the same issue exact

1 Like

Using dx 11 removes the flickering as well. So its a dx12 issue with the newer drivers. It only happens in wow. Its definitely not a gsync issue, as it does not happen on the whole screen. Sometimes its just the chatbox or minimap, sometimes its a few icons, sometimes its some elements on the game world and its very random, sometimes it doesnt happen for 15 mins or so. I dont really wanna stick with dx11 though, as i do benefit alot from dx12 framerate improvements since i run high refresh monitor. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

5 Likes

I just installed a new graphics card yesterday and updated the drivers. I’m relieved to see this is a driver issue and not a potentially faulty card.

4 Likes

Yesterday was fine game wise all day. But today I got the flickering on UI and flickering black squares on the in game map.

Im Nvidia 1080 gtx and have the new drivers with dx 12 enabled in game.

3 Likes

Can anyone confirm if this was stealth fixed on todays small patch? I played for 6 hours in dx12 with the same drivers and i didnt notice it happening. Anyone?

nope not fixed yet my spell bars are flashing from time to time

Oh wait false alarm, i restarted the pc and it came back. I did had a full 6 hour of session without it happening though, weird.

Its definitely the latest nvidia drivers or a wow patch, I did both patches on the same day (430.86) DDU install and it still persists. I thought my 2080 was dying but no other games produces it. It seems to be limited to mostly minimap and Foreground (distance,Culled water), sometimes i get hard locks for 2-3 seconds.

3 Likes

Has anyone experiencing this issue tried going back to 430.39 and seen if the flickering persists in DX12? Apart from that, it seems that changing to DirectX 11 API is a work around for players for now.

2 Likes

Hello I’m having the same issue and would like some support if possible and I’m willing to report any tests or problems. The issue is the same as OP, random flickering to some UI parts.

Things I have tried and didn’t worked: Reinstalling Windows 10, WoW, deleting WTF, Cache and Interface folders, installing to the lastest Nvidia driver available to my GPU (430.86), enabling and disabling V-sync ingame and Nvidia control panel, tried different FPS limit ranges 60-100, checking Disable fullscreen optimizations and Run this program as an administrator in WoW launcher and WoW from retail folder.

My specs:
Windows 10
Intel i5-9400f
GTX 2060
Nvidia driver ver. 430.86

I can’t tell if I had this issue before because I recently upgraded my PC so it’s been happening since the first time I played WoW in this computer. It only happens to WoW, other games are fine

I am having same issue I went back to 430.64 the previous driver

Changing to DirectX 11 seems to have worked so far. Thank you. It was starting to get annoying.

Yes for me rolling back to 430.39 with the hotfix has worked. I seem to get better fps with the roll back as well.

Wow started doing this flashing earlier today. Here is a video of what’s happening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZekAHdKhAJA&feature=youtu.be
It’s doing it kinda randomly but usually happens when mousing over something or moving the camera around. Sometimes its just the ui flashing others its the whole screen. This only happens in WoW and at first I thought my monitor was gonna die until I noticed its in recording too. The graphics card I’m using is a rtx 2070 and only a few months old.