There is no universal best/optimal/meta build!

Many people talk about needing to be optimal and that they ll choose the “highest dps” covenant, yet how can you choose the highest dps covenant when each covenant will be the highest dps in their specific encounter?

This isnt even about raids vs m+ because many raid bosses have different type of encounters that allow for different playstyles to perform better, there’s pure single target, there’s AoE boss fights, there’s cleave, there’s burst focused fights, there’s fights where boss decides to take a break for 30 seconds etc etc.

There will always, in an rpg be an optimal DPS build for each boss, dungeon encounter.

The difference is in BfA you can change your azerite, talent, spec to fit the situation to easymode the fight.

In shadowlands you cannot hang you covenant nor your conduits unless you choose a different soulbind/soulbind path which might be better, but the 100% optimization is thankfully removed from WoW.

Therefore you dont get to be optimal at everything anymore.

1 Like

Do you ever stop?

14 Likes

your mom uses an optimal build

4 Likes

There will always be a meta and an optimal build.

3 Likes

I react to reading utterly false ideas and posts and in this case there’s people who unironically believe they can just join the “best dps” covenant as if there’s a universal highest dps covenant for everything.

Exactly, difference is you are barred from that build in shadowlands if it isnt in your covenant and your conduit which is placed in the main soulbind path : )

There’s going to be a most optimal build, telling you which covenant is most useful in Mythic and in Mythic+.

It’ll be based off of individual spec. If a spec is really good at two target cleave an ability that buffs two target cleave will probably be the best in most situations because it’s buffing what they’re already good. Play to your strengths and all that.

Same thing for aoe and single-target.

Yes there is. Optimal is relative to what’s available. Someone who changes their build to suit the content is still going to be more optimal than the person who doesn’t.

And because of this dumb war on optimization, I’m (someone who doens’t care about DPS at all) going to be restricted from just playing my specs the way I want to for fun

2 Likes

Covenants in their current implementation won’t be too different than classes. There will always be an optimal one. Nobody is barred from anything. They can roll multiple classes in multiple covenants.

…Given you post on this topic daily, I’m surprised you didn’t possess the wit to even consider that.

6 Likes

Doubling down on your strengths is certainly a popular strategy, being rly strong in one area while weaker on others is a very balanced and normal way to play RPGs.

Others for example could just decide to get something that shores up their weakness so they are performing well in more encounters instead of excelling in a few.

Point is, you can do that above, you shouldnt and thankfully in shadowlands cant just change your entire build to fit each boss.

Have fun gearing 4 of each class with the new m+ one reward per dungeon system

I know for a fact that will cause many tryhards to ragequit because they wont be able to sustain that kind of play to be optimal at everything.

Meh. If you’re forced to choose you may as well be exceptional at one thing instead of mediocre at everything.

It’s still a bad system. I know, I know, you disagree. That’s okay. :laughing:

Can’t you still change your spec and talents and gear? Or did they change that too?

Yeah, but you cant change your conduits and covenant which are a big part of your power which will also excel at different things.

Maximum optimization on a single character is thankfully gone from WoW coming shadowlands.

…but don’t your spec, talents, and gear matter way more to your output? I don’t see how you think there’s no best build, especially when you can change those things on a boss per boss basis???

Full optimization means that, full optimization, having the best covenant, best conduits, best soulbind path, best spec, best talents, best gear.

Locking covenants and conduits means you are no longer able to fully optimize yourself for each boss, you can still try to optimize what you can, but full optimization is gone.

there will still be a “fully optimized” relative to what players are available to pick. your issue with players optimizing is still going to exist

not sure why people can’t just not worry about what others do with their loadouts lol. just play to have your own fun, stop worrying about what other people want to do

4 Likes

Of course we will have fun. That’s how some of us enjoy this game - by being the most optimal for whatever content we are doing.

And given you didn’t refute anything I said, I stand by my earlier statement: there is a meta and an optimal build for everything.

Makes me wonder why are so many WoW players able to understand balance, it seems that many think that you either are for full optimization or are for 0 optimization.

There’s a thing called balance, some optimization is ok in my eyes, tryhards can tryhard, I ll still stick to my favorite build, but full optimization is not because when you stack fully optimized groups the challenge of an encounter might as well not exist as game aint balanced around everyone being fully optimized in stacked optimized comb groups.

Shadowlands is removing full optimization.

Here, made a thread about it

ok but what difference does it make to you if someone is either fully optimized or only partially optimized?

i have no interest in optimizing my character, i just wanna play around with my specs. this locked covenant stuff is just hurting my gameplay more than anything. and if that’s being hurt for the sake of someone elses numbers i kinda just don’t care about what they’re doing to optimize?

not sure why it’s so hard to worry about yourself lol

3 Likes

It’s classic coming from someone who makes three threads a day about how min/maxers being the end of the world.

3 Likes