The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

hi guys i do not see anyone else with this item anymore “carved ogre idol” please come find me in game and be an ogre with me i have not been having much fun in pvp lately and think soon i will quit, blizz pvp dev are actually insanely stupid

mathias#1223 is my battletag please add me if you also have carved ogre idol we can be ogre togther one last time

1 Like

The real terror of the high seas, the Razor Ogre Crew.

3 Likes

I got that toy! I hardly have time to play these days but i can try and get with you sometime and be ogree :meat_on_bone::japanese_ogre:

3 Likes

I’m curious if it would be more likely to add them as customization races to Darkspear Trolls, making them a Mag’har Orc situation in a way. I feel like that would be relatively reasonable with racials and such, including beefy options as body types, so long as it shows each Troll Tribe officially joining the Horde, them having presence in-game, and there are transmog items like tabards and such so you feel like a member of that tribe.

Then again, as I grumbled about before, given how customization races have been treated, I can’t help but be dubious at the idea.

Everquest 1 was my first MMORPG and my Ogre Berserker character was a favorite of mine. Recreating him in WoW is a reason I try to keep up the support.

Funnily enough, I did like the Trolls in Everquest a bit more than the Ogres. Mostly because of aesthetics and personality. My favorite character was my Troll Beastlord, who I recreated in WoW as the character you see. Very important character to me, if you can’t tell. :stuck_out_tongue:

Still, I did like Ogres a lot in Everquest, and a lot of the WoW Ogres’ personalities remind me of them. It’s something I think would be great to see as player characters, as well as getting more of a Horde Ogre presence in-game. It’d be something unique and enjoyable in many ways, I’d say.

I was excited for Everquest 2 and participated in the beta and did something special community-wise, which I’ll comment on in a future post. However, it was a bit of a mess of a game in several ways and seemed to only get more of a mess as time went on. A shame, since there were some neat concepts in it.

I think they’ve been shared in here before, though I don’t remember knowing that they hit live until they were updated. I thought they were an alpha/early beta thing. Very interesting.

Maybe we could have customization options to make fat or buff Ogres. Not sure how difficult that’d be when designing transmog appearances on them, however. Not sure which one I’d go with for my Ogre also, come to think of it. Then again, if two-head customization options become a thing, we may only get one body type.

I still think for male Ogres at least, the WoD Ogre model could at least provide a skeleton to use for playable Ogre models. A lot of the animations are there, including a dance, so it could help some. Though as I said, I don’t know how WoW is programmed, so I don’t know whether it is possible or better to just create from scratch.

Dream big, Ogre fans! :cut_of_meat::japanese_ogre:

3 Likes

Depends on how much you want to read into things. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: When I found out that Kovork Kostume is in the short list of toys that mean you’re “Lookin’ Good” for this month’s Trading Post challenges, I headed over to the Trading Post to help people out only to find a few other Kovorks already waiting there. I felt like we were having our ogre march even though none of us did that on purpose.

I’m still convinced they regret Allied Races and wish they just did more customization all along. If I recall, they said they’re perfectly willing to do Wildhammer heritage armor despite them just being customization, but I guess we’ll have to wait for that to see.

I still wish we could get that “subrace template” fan idea implemented in game. It shouldn’t take much effort, but it would have an amazing effect on presentation, lore and future customization.

I’m certainly not expecting extra body types, but it’d be awesome.

At this point I sorta expect something mostly new for playable ogres because it’s already almost been another decade since Warlords of Draenor, but I’m convinced they can be used as a base.

Since the Dire Maul update, ogres were given a good chunk of the player animations. More than any other monster I can think of, certainly. The famous Moonkin dance was the ogre dance first, which is unusual for a monster. The Warlords of Draenor update also made their basic model more “naked” than the Dire Maul one. I don’t know how it’s programmed either and obviously in hindsight none of those things meant they would be playable, but I don’t feel like all that animation work would have been done if there was no route to making that version playable without starting over.

4 Likes

We march into March with more opportunities of showing playable Horde Ogre support with in-game race request suggestions!

With the beginning of each month, I make in-game suggestions for each race I want to see playable along with a mention of their respective megathreads on these forums. While it is far from a guarantee of seeing our dreams come true, I do think every little bit helps, and doing it monthly I feel is reasonable and not that intrusive or annoying.

If you’re interested in doing the same for races you want to see playable, I made a little guide on how to do so in-game here:

Gotta keep showing playable Horde Ogre support the best we can! Make sure the Horde Ogre clans aren’t forgotten!

4 Likes

I feel like if we’re going to ever get a serious hint that ogres are coming, it’s going to be a female ogre. You know what I mean?

Since we know Ogres were considered for Vanilla, and were considered again for Cataclysm, it’s possible that some “hints” we’ve gotten that turned out to not be hints actually kinda were, at some point, before those plans changed.

For instance, the Dire Maul model update. Not only did it unusually come with a slew of player animations, but I believe that might also have been when ogres got the huge variety of skin tones they have to this day (I know the launch models had Peach and Blue skins, not sure if they had the others). That’s not the sort of thing usually done for monster updates, even to this day, but would make a lot of sense if some of that was salvaged from early work done for Vanilla playable ogres.

Similarly, in hindsight it’s almost a guarantee that the reason the female ogre Halloween mask is the only one with a texture we’ve never seen (and appears to be part of some concept art we’ve never seen) is because it was related to the brainstorming they did for Cataclysm playable ogres. That the ogre masks were part of a set added to disguise the leak of the finalized Cataclysm playable races is too much of a coincidence.

What I’m trying to say is, I’d like to think that Garrlok is a sly wink to us that they’re finally putting that work into ogres. That we’re going to get playable ogres with ogre cities and ogre kids, and they gave us Garrlok as a little tease. At this rate, though, I totally wouldn’t be surprised to find out in five years that Garrlok was in reference to playable ogres… but the reason we got Garrlok was because playable ogres were scrapped in favor of something else after some initial work and Garrlok was given to us to not waste the model they made to flesh out their capital.

So I feel like, at this point, the only “hint” that would feel like it mattered is if we saw a female ogre*, because that’s always been the main thing separating ogres from other playable races. They might have armorless models, varied (though not player-level) customization, and a good chunk of player animations, but as long as we don’t have female ogres, then there hasn’t been enough work done to ensure they’ll secure their spot even if they’ve been considered.

*And it has to be in game. I really thought the ogre girl and later Karrga in the Traveler novels would mean something, as they were the first time we got official art of female ogres, but it’s already been five years since Karrga. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I do and agree. Everything else just feels like a tease, but female ogres would be the final nail.

4 Likes

I don’t know if Blizzard regrets Allied Races as a whole. The only thing I could see being regretful is how less costly it’d likely be to implement customization races, which is something that would explain how they feel just slapped in unfortunately.

In all fairness, I do see the Allied Race system at least being something that could occasionally be utilized and useful for some storylines. Some races that wouldn’t become playable can get a chance with it, and to be honest, it is a fairly effective carrot-on-a-stick to get people to do current content. I’ll admit that I did a bunch and then some to unlock Allied Races and potential races I thought could become them in the future.

Is it a perfect system? No, it has its flaws. But I don’t know if there is complete regret over it. Granted, the Allied Race system does muddy the waters some when something like Dark Iron Dwarves become full races while Wildhammer Dwarves just get Bronzebeards LARPing as them without much presence or recognition for their clan. :person_shrugging:

It would’ve done a lot better in the long term to implement the much popular sub-race idea. However, I don’t know if there was some issue with it in the coding or if marketing BfA was another factor in it not being implemented.

Races would’ve likely been treated better under such a system than the customization race “system” that has been going on. It’s a real shame…

I know that seeing female Ogres in-game would be a huge cause for excitement (and not in THAT way, you perverts < - < ). It could up the chances that playable Ogres might be in the works considerably at the very least. Hard to say, though.

It is a possibility, but I don’t want to get my hopes up. Seeing Ogre children models is great, don’t get me wrong. It’s just hard to really know what Blizzard is planning, so it’s not something I was to say is definitive proof that playable Horde Ogres are definitely being planned or anything.

Any depiction of female Ogres in other WoW media does have to have the approval of several people and departments within Blizzard. So at the very least in the case of Karrga, it can be a reference that could help designers create models of how female Ogres can look. Of course, that can always go in another direction, but it is still something at the very least.

4 Likes

I don’t know if I can put it concisely, but my point is that Vulpera, Void Elves, and Nightborne are the only Allied Races that couldn’t have been done through customization.

We wouldn’t have to be asking for lightforged draenei and mechagnomes to get more than a handful of options if they themselves were just options added to the base races to begin with.

And the storylines still could have happened. We’ve already seen customization unlocked through stories with the Night Warrior eyes and Dark Ranger customization. I’m also pretty sure they did go on record saying they’d love to still do Wildhammer Heritage Armor despite them not being a distinct “race”.

Allied Races still get a few distinct things that customization doesn’t, but in general it seems like the modern customization system gets everything they wanted out of the original Allied Races.

What I meant about the subrace thing was this, which could still happen at any time:

Basically it’s just a UI change that allows you treat things like Wildhammer as distinct even when they’re just customization. It could also add things we don’t currently have like changing your race name in-game, but again it’s primarily a UI change. You could still have access to all of the customization by selecting the “base” race, but if you are more lore-inclined you can limit yourself for flavor that the game recognizes.

Yeah, I’ve been burned too many times by what I had reason to believe were bigger hints than this to actually get my hopes up.

At this point though, it also kinda doesn’t really matter whether I get my hopes up. Ogres are one of the only things left that I want, so any expansion that doesn’t have them is a bit of a letdown by default. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually, if anything, most of the fun I have nowadays is during the window in which that hope can still exists before the announcement crushes it. I’m most worried about accidentally getting other people’s hopes up. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I’ve been reading the World of Warcraft comic compilations I got awhile ago, the one with Broll and Valeera. Came across a few interesting things at the beginning.

First, there are three Ogre characters that fight the main characters in an arena. I figured I’d share them just for some Ogre customization idea inspiration. They are as follows:

The other interesting thing I saw is that there is an Ogre kid character that makes a couple small appearances. I tried to find an image, since I lack a working scanner, and this is the best one I could find from Wowpedia’s Ogre page:

He comes up to about chest height of a nearby Orc if I recall correctly.

Interesting to note is that this comic series was created quite awhile ago. It could be one of the earliest depictions of an Ogre child. It also means that the Gordunni Clan would have female Ogres around since there are children present. Them and the MU Stonemaul Clan are two clans I am aware of that would have female Ogres within the clans either mentioned or alluded to, albeit not actually present in-game.

If I see anything of interest in the comic series, I’ll be sure to share it here. These are just a few things of interest I thought would be fun to share.

4 Likes

I think an exciting aspect of playable ogres that gets overlooked is what sort of customization it would introduce. Ogres are depicted with a variety of hair and beards in artwork like you just showed, but basically never in game. Even Mar’gok was basically just “stock ogre mage”, so we haven’t really seen what ogres could look like in-game.

5 Likes

theres plenty to work with even the old low res models could be up res’d or bring the WC3R assets and pop em into WoW the armor n weapons they use and work around and build on that, they can keep the roman theme from WoD. as for hair it’d honestly be similar to most of what orcs already have and then new additions that we’ve never had before. i just want the ogres to look as they’ve been depicted, shown and represented as ever since WC2 even though i started in wotlk i just want the aesthetic that makes them unique outside of every other monster race we’ve had thus far and i really hope it doesn’t get slated into the horrible case of reskin we have enough blizz it’d be nice to get something different

4 Likes

if we get an upres skeletal rig i want what they’ve used for the maldraxxian gladiators the kyrian golem and the WoD ogre model then i think i’ll be content throw in the bare minimum of orc animations and that’ll be the nice icing on the cake

5 Likes

Still waiting for them Ogres! SUrely one day we’ll get them…

5 Likes

Today is March 8 2023 and so far there’s still no Mok’nathal or the Ogres in General. Man this stinks.

5 Likes

They’d have to make them a midget race of Ogres, you realize that right? There is no way to make the huge ones playable, they wouldn’t fit on any mounts or through doors, would you want any in your dungeon blocking your view? No. They couldn’t be any larger than male Tauren/Draenei.

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s been covered a few times in this thread.

4 Likes

Possibly. But do you think I’m going to sit here and read through a thread with over 2k replies? Nope.

I do expect you to read the main post, which also discusses it.

4 Likes