The Unofficial Stonemaul Ogre Playable Race Discussion Megathread!

Loooooove it!!!

It’s high time the Horde gets playable Ogres! They need more savage races.

Fully support this. :clap:t3::clap:t3:

4 Likes

i would like to see ogres be a playable race ever since i heard rumors long ago.

also if they get heritage armor, what would it look like? maybe that pot armor seen on classic models or something greek/roman themed like the ones on draenor.

3 Likes

If I were to guess, I’d lean towards the Roman themed armor from the Gorian Empire. Granted, I would also like to have the armor that was cobbled together as a transmog option. Something about it gives Ogres some fun character to me.

Yeah, I’ve grumbled about the treatment of Horde Ogres for so long that I have a hard time trying to keep it fresh without repeating myself. Usually I try to at least bring come comedy with my constant grumblings.

It’s frustrating to be an Ogre fan, given how forgotten the Horde Ogres seem to be, but I’m still marching onward best as I can for them and Saurok as playable Horde races. If I didn’t have hope of any sort, I wouldn’t be operating megathreads for them both, which I still enjoy managing and posting in.

So long as I’m playing the game, I’ll keep going as best as I can. :smiley:

Dream big, Ogre fans! :japanese_ogre:

4 Likes

It’s really strange because it’s not like ogres are forgotten by any means. I don’t remember if it was in this thread or another one, but I was going to list out the expansions that playable ogres would have fit really well in as they are. It’s essentially every other expansion!

Burning Crusade visits their homeworld. Cataclysm heavily featured them because of Cho’gall and the Twilight’s Hammer. Warlords of Draenor revisited their homeworld again and overhauled their lore. The whole war effort of Battle for Azeroth would have been a great excuse to promote the existing Horde members to being playable (like the Dark Iron). You could make a good argument for other places too, like Mists of Pandaria also being a bit of a war effort situation (and a fake leak promising Alliance Pandaren and Horde Ogres was a very popular leak at the time).

When it comes to ogres being represented on the Horde, though, they’re weirdly absent. That’s despite them once being a core Horde race, still technically having Horde members, and maybe even most importantly just fitting the Horde really well thematically.

The most you get is the Stonemaul at launch and Cataclysm remembering them for another hub and dealing with some other ogres. Aside from that, there’s only the occasional cameo like Or’Dac in Mists of Pandaria or Gregg wanting to join in Legion.

Even if they aren’t playable, I want to see ogres on the front lines, smashing down barricades for the rest of the Horde armies!

In fact, something that actually makes me feel a little weird about if we did get playable ogres at this point, is that the ogres have still been mostly absent from the Horde’s story for over sixteen years! It’s a gap that’s always just going to feel weird.

When you think about it that way, it makes me really curious. They’re clearly not averse to using ogres fairly regularly (Exile’s Reach makes some fun use of them in this very expansion), but there seems to be an aversion to using them in association with the Horde. I wonder if there’s actually some reason for that or if it’s just coincidence. I could offer lore reasons, but wonder if there are development reasons.

6 Likes

It is very weird that the Stonemaul Ogres, who did play a pretty important part in Warcraft 3 in terms of Jaina and Thrall’s backstories, would just get completely forgotten and not utilized by the Horde in any fashion past Pandaria.

As I mentioned before, I have no reason to see why Thrall wouldn’t have offered the Stonemaul Clan full membership to the Horde afterwards. He seemed to offer it to several races at the time, the Stonemaul Ogres stayed loyal to the Horde, and they were nearby so they would be very useful allies to have. I can’t see a situation where he didn’t offer them full membership, especially seeing the Stonemaul being really happy being part of the Horde. They shout “For da Horde!” in Feralas when attacking Cho’gall, so they do like the Horde a lot to want to utilize battle shouts like that.

I’d be curious what the storyline would’ve been for playable Horde Ogres had we gotten them in Cataclysm. I assume it would’ve been the Stonemaul Clan, maybe having their home destroyed and needing to reclaim it as their starting scenario. I couldn’t imagine it being some other, random Ogre clan out of nowhere. I do wonder if the Horde Ogre quests and such in Cataclysm were leftover from ideas of making them playable.

Regarding the Horde Ogre clans’ absences, a lot of that could be easily explained. I feel like trying to take over Dire Maul for the Horde is one of the key possibilities that could tie into what the MU Stonemaul, AU Stonemaul, and Dunemaul have been up to. Getting it to a point where the Horde can take it over permanently, seeing as the Night Elves are a bit busy with their home having become a bonfire, could lead to the Horde wanting to utilize them elsewhere. This could lead to Ogre adventurers and champions of the Horde.

I will say that if Blizzard had two-headed Ogre customization options, it would take quite a bit to make it work for both male and female Ogres. I don’t expect it to function with two separate players for each head, but to get all helm graphics to work on both heads and likely having each head the capability to have different helms on would sound like a big undertaking. Still, if Blizzard did get it working, it would be huge news. Likely something exciting that people would want to check out themselves. It wouldn’t surprise me if this could be a reason for holding back playable Ogres. I made a post on all the loose threads of the Horde Ogre clans that could be worked with to explain their absence, which would make for some really fun pre-expansion events like Cataclysm had.

That said, I don’t think playable Horde Ogres are an impossibility. They were considered for Cataclysm, allegedly considered for Vanilla and WoD, and likely were considered for BfA if the “we considered all races with two legs for allied race status” statement is true. If they were considered so many times, then Blizzard could still have an interest in making them playable. As such, I would hope they would still be in the cards as a future playable race, and I think they would be very welcomed, though Ogre player count likely wouldn’t reach elf levels (then again, very few races would). Sure, people will complain about “stupid smelly Ogres” being chosen to become playable, but people will complain about any race becoming playable.

I will say that every time an expansion is announced and I watch the reveal trailer, I always hope that playable Horde Ogres will finally be a thing. It’s something that I think I’ll continue to do until we actually do get playable Horde Ogres. At any rate, I have no reason to fall into despair, as frustrated as I am that the Horde Ogres have been forgotten. As far as I’m concerned, the Horde isn’t complete until the Ogres get recognition as full members and they appear on the Horde side of that character creation screen.

5 Likes

I posted this in my Saurok megathread before, but I wanted to also post this here: I’ve typed up a step by step guide on how to submit in-game feedback to support races you want to see playable while referring to their megathreads on here:

Once a month on only one character, I send an in-game suggestion for the races I want playable. I do one suggestion for each race and refer to their megathreads on the official US WoW forums for more information. It’s something I don’t regularly do, as I don’t want to spam the system, but it is something I try to at least do occasionally.

If you’re interested in submitting in-game feedback for any races you are interested in becoming playable, here is how to get to it in game:

Step 1: Press ESC to bring up the general menu.

Step 2: Click “Support.” It’s at the very top of the menu.

A new window in-game should load. It can take a few seconds for it to load completely. Underneath the “Search World of Warcraft Support” search bar, you should see a line of square images that refer to specific categories of support.

Step 3: Click the “Submit feedback or bug report” square. It should be on the far left when you first load the support window.

It’ll take a second to load that part.

Step 4: Click the lightbulb icon on the right that says “Submit a suggestion”

Step 5: Click in the text box on this window to begin typing a suggestion.

You’re now ready to submit an in-game suggestion!

It’s limited to 500 characters you can type, so you have to be a bit creative in the limited space. As I said before, I usually do one suggestion for each race I want playable, giving a very brief mention of the race, the faction I want it for, and why I feel they’d be great to add. I then make sure to type the name of the associated megathread, assuming they have a megathread, and mention they’re on the official US WoW forums, stating to go there for more info, such as ideas, fan support/designs, ongoing discussions, etc.

When you submit the feedback, it states you won’t get a response, but that it’ll be looked at in some way. Now, this wouldn’t be a sure-fire way to get a race playable, but it can’t hurt to do so in my opinion. After all, we have to show support somehow!

So for those interested in supporting a race you want playable, this is how to do it in-game. As I said, I usually do this once a month (on just one character) at most so as to not spam the system. However, multiple people doing it could help a lot to showing support for races we’d love to see playable.

Also make sure you’re submitting a suggestion and not a bug. I mean, yes, the character creation screen lacking playable Horde Ogres is quite the game-breaking bug (with an easy fix!), but a suggestion will likely be received better as opposed to sending that as a bug report. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll continue to look into different avenues to show support for playable Horde Ogres and Saurok. I’m open to suggestions if anyone has any!

7 Likes

Posting to add that I’m going to do this as well. Every ogre deserves their day. (as do mogu, jinyu, and furbolgs)

6 Likes

Ogres Ogres Ogres! Oi Oi Oi!

I hope we DO get Ogres one day. And Naga. And many others. But …it’s hard not to worry about the future of WoW, given all the baffling decisions Blizz has made game-wise lately.

7 Likes

This is a great thread, thank you OP for the work you did on it. Ogres are long overdue!

6 Likes

We nearly in the same guild!!, but also just mentioning will faction and race change to Ogres in a heart beat!

5 Likes

Has anyone else had any trouble trying to get Kovork Kostume?

I made a bug report collecting various reports I’ve seen:

Since making the thread I’ve done another round on all of my characters and still have nothing to show for it. If it was just rare, you shouldn’t really have multiple reports of people getting it all the time. If it was fairly common, you shouldn’t really have multiple reports of people not getting it after months on several characters. Random is random, but that sort of variance still shouldn’t be happening unless something was wrong.

It’s a shame because while I don’t consider it a replacement for playable ogres by any means, I think it would be fun to play around with.

1 Like

I checked out Wowhead comments on the toy, and it sounds like the drop rate got reduced somehow:

Not sure if it is a bug or intentional. I remember killing him close to when the content was new and got the toy easily. Not sure why the drop rate would be changed after the fact, but I hope it gets fixed and you’ll be able to get it ASAP.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I can’t seem to get it noticed. I honestly didn’t even have that many data points, but it was hard when the issue is only brought up every once and awhile and only gets maybe one or two responses, but all of them were long enough ago I felt it was better to make my own thread collecting them than bumping something old. I’ve reported it in a couple of other ways as well, but nothing yet. Although one of those threads mentioned a GM response where they said they’ve never heard any issues about it, which only sort of proves a lack of awareness of these posts.

I’ll admit, there are a lot more important things for the devs to worry about right now, but a bug is still a bug and this one means something to me.

Although if it isn’t a bug, I’d like to know that as well, if anyone knows.

I was not around when the content was new, unfortunately, if that made a difference. However, by the time I got to it, every other ogre toy like that belching one or the Molok Morion was still easy to get, so I don’t see why they’d single this one out on purpose. In fact I was really proud of having collected those ogre toys, and it wasn’t until much later than that I ran into someone using the Kovork Kostume and made me go “where is that from?” Only to learn it was supposed to be mostly guaranteed from a boss I knew I had killed while getting the other toys.

Of course, I’d take normally playable ogres as an apology for this being broken. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I think this would be the best thing they could do. No need for toys or glyphs to become an Ogre any more! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

You mean something like this?

https://i.ibb.co/3442C6d/subrace-customization-mockup-wildhammer.jpg

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/sub-race-names-templates-tied-to-the-new-customization-options/151465/1

I would love it!

Edit: I’m also pro Ogres as playable race!

1 Like

it better not be horde only. horde has enough ppl as it is :wink:

Ogres should definitely be only Horde.

Be very weird for a Horde race that is already a part of the Horde to randomly join the Alliance.

5 Likes

then i dont think its a good idea, for obvious reasons.

-.-

What obvious reasons?

I mean no hostility in this question but…

Why do you think ogres would join the Alliance? Or why should they?

4 Likes

horde already outnumbers alliance by a lot. is it not obvious?

starting to think you’re messing with me lol

can’t bring the coolest race to the faction that already grossly outnumbers the other. unless you got an equally cool idea for an alliance race i guess.