The Unofficial Saurok Playable Race Discussion Megathread! šŸŠ

Iā€™ve been doing mine in sections. Going over it and reassessing how its written bit by bit.

Also had to cut some things out of my void elf one due to picture limitations.

1 Like

I didnā€™t even know there were picture limitations with regards to the number of them in posts. It makes some sense I suppose. Iā€™ll have to keep that in mind as I revamp it.

Playable Saurok for the Horde please! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

1 Like

I canā€™t remember how many I found it to beā€¦ but yeah. Also when you post a link to a thread and it shows the preview there those can limit it too it appears.

Its one of the reasons my AR/Customization/Class lists are under a spoiler thingie. Though any new threads I make Iā€™ll just steal the second post for it.

1 Like

I swear I hear people saying ā€œDracthyr look like Saurok with wingsā€ and Iā€™m like dude just give me playable Saurok and be done with it AHHH

1 Like

The thing is that Dracthyr look very different than Saurok. Dragons in WoW have a distinct look with Dracthyr looking a bit regal like and proud as a result of being dragonkin. Whereas Saurok look ferocious and likely to eat your face if you really annoy them. Dracthyr donā€™t really have that feel when I look at them.

The good thing of Dracthyr is that some of their features, like scale colors and such, could be implemented should Saurok and Sethrak ever become playable. Itā€™ll be something Iā€™ll go over as NDAā€™s lift and people are allowed to share things about Dracthyr in general. So some good will come out of playable Dracthyr, and it helps to lean more towards the dragon fantasy of WoW as it makes them, Saurok, and Sethrak all unique in their own ways.

I did read about some RPers considering using Dracthyr on RP servers to RP as Saurok. Makes me happy to know that Saurok have fans on RP servers, let alone in general. Sometimes, you have to take what you have and make good use of it the best you can. Hopefully, weā€™ll be able to have actual Horde Saurok characters someday! :lizard:

2 Likes

Yeah in terms of facial expression they give off completely different vibes. Even when it comes to body shape I donā€™t find them that similar ; I think the comparison comes from the fact that the general thinness of Dracthyr is more reminiscent of lizards than of dragons, but at the end of the day Saurok are rather stocky, right ? Iā€™m sure Dracthyr RPā€™d into Saurok can work just fine with a little imagination though !

Honestly, even though itā€™d be amazing to be able to play as one in the future, right now Iā€™m merely asking for more Saurok content. Theyā€™ve been mostly forgotten about after MoP. I was delighted to see them in Kul Tiras, pirate stuff fits them so perfectly. But we need to have some actual non-hostile Saurok NPCs, ones you can interact with. Thatā€™s also why threads like this one are so important. They remind people that they exist and it might create a demand among players

2 Likes

They can range from being somewhat skinny-like with the regular units to something close to beefy. Iā€™m not really sure what they would look like as a playable race. Depends if they were built from the ground up or utilize Worgen skeletons/rigging.

They seemed to get some use in BfA with the Bilgewater Pirates, that underwater bar, and the Clearscale Tribe to a much lesser extent (regressing to being near-feral again, sadly). Not to mention the one Saurok spirit that talks briefly in that one NPC event in Maldraxxus when you approach them.

Still, the fact that they seem to be evolving some makes me hope weā€™ll see them in a bigger role sometime. Seems like to some extent, theyā€™ve gotten a little bit of love from Blizzard, so maybe someone there likes them. Hopefully, theyā€™ll be fleshed out to being something more than just angry jobbers for quests.

I appreciate you saying this thread is important. Seeing people gain interest in playable Saurok and offering their support is a big reason I keep going. That and I do enjoy what I do, since I have a big passion for Lizardmen races in general.

Interestingly enough, it seems like people have gradually gained interest in playable Horde Saurok. Iā€™ve noticed people becoming fans of Saurok on here, adding them to their list of wanted playable races and supporting them in general. Weā€™ve also come across people who come onto here from a Google search, as several posts in here and many images shared come up as top results when you Google search Saurok in general and with specific words, like playable race. I canā€™t say Iā€™m the sole reason for that, but itā€™s cool if I did help to inspire that some.

I canā€™t say itā€™ll be effective long term in actually seeing playable Horde Saurok as a reality, but it does seem to be slowly getting people interested in them. I think theyā€™d be well received, even with Dracthyr. Likely moreso since Dracthyr have so many limitations in different things, though Dracthyr are still important for those interested in dragons.

As long as I keep playing WoW, I plan to keep going with Horde Saurok support as best as I can. And I donā€™t see myself quitting anytime soon. Especially when weā€™re hitting our three year anniversary soon! :lizard:

2 Likes

Something Iā€™m planning to do as I revamp the main post of the megathread is to go through all the posts in here and link to any notable ones.

Things Iā€™m looking for involve anything of Saurok significance/appearances, posts where Iā€™ve looked at Lizardmen races in other MMOā€™s and media, RL reptiles, screenshot stories Iā€™ve done, any works or screenshots others have done, and so on. Having easy access to those posts would help to make sure those posts can be referenced.

Some I may have to edit to be a bit more concise or to fix broken links, such as Youtube videos that no longer exist for one reason or another, or maybe consider making a brand new post with that information. I think itā€™d be helpful to make sure that information and suggestions are readily available for Saurok idea inspiration.

Itā€™s a huge task that will take a lot of work, but thus are the duties of maintaining a race request megathread. I knew it was going to take a lot of work to make this megathread to begin with, but itā€™s worth it if it gives a chance of seeing playable Horde Saurok become a reality! :lizard:

2 Likes

Wish these forums had the option to make posts just under the main post.

Twitter has a function to link posts together like that.

Really change the game as it were.

1 Like

The month of June is almost here, which means Summer time is coming up! Even lizards get to celebrate the season with some fun swimming:

I imagine Saurok would do something similar. Maybe with their own BBQ pool parties or something. :lizard:

Also been thinking up the usual post to make when our megathreadā€™s three year anniversary comes on June 2nd. Was trying to think of some things to change it up so Iā€™m not just saying the same thing every year. I also think it has been awhile since I took some in-game Saurok screenshots, so maybe Iā€™ll look into doing something with that in the near future.

Almost three years strong and still going! I donā€™t see us quitting anytime soon! :muscle:

1 Like

Well today is 9.2.5ā€™s launch day. Still a lot of questions of what all is in it, since there are suppose to be events going on that werenā€™t mentioned with its features. The Tirisfal Glades questline is an example of that, which we still barely know anything about.

As usual, Iā€™ll keep an eye out for Saurok sightings of any sort. I donā€™t expect to see any to be honest, unless we happen to go back to Pandaria briefly or something else happens. Maybe weā€™ll get lucky somehow. Who knows?

There are still rumors of at least one new playable race being tied to Dragonflight preorders, but it seems like we wonā€™t be able to put that rumor to bed until we see preorders open and we can see incentives for preordering. Assuming we do get any new playable races, while I always hope to see playable Horde Saurok, my usual hope is that they would be ones that people have been wanting to see for quite some time.

However, it may be awhile before we see preorders open up. Iā€™m going to guess that a more solid release date may be needed before Blizzard can offer them, while some are speculating that theyā€™re waiting for a good marketing opportunity to open them for quarterly revenue reports. Whatever the case, Iā€™m still looking forward to preordering and being able the check out the next expansion. Iā€™m also primarily excited for playable Dracthyr still, and look forward to whenever theyā€™ll be available to be made. Being able to make new characters is always an exciting thing for me, though I still hope weā€™re able to get more character slots for our account sometime.

Iā€™m in the process of planning out some revamps of the main megathread post, which Iā€™ll be doing different sections in multiple updates. Also been thinking some of this yearā€™s three year anniversary, which is in two days! Quite a bit to do and not as much time as Iā€™d like, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll figure something out.

This lizard is particularly excited for our megathreadā€™s anniversary coming up:

As I said, if something Saurok related comes up in 9.2.5, Iā€™ll be sure to report it here and look at it. Even if nothing comes from it or from Dragonflight, Iā€™ll still be marching in support of playable Horde Saurok! :lizard:

1 Like

So far, I havenā€™t been able to explore much of 9.2.5, but I havenā€™t really heard of anything Saurok related (not that I was expecting anything to begin with). However, we did get a surprise questline that unlocks Dark Ranger customization options for Blood Elves, Void Elves, and Night Elves:

Iā€™m happy for the Dark Ranger megathread and hope that itā€™s something that satisfies them.

It does give me some hope that Blizzard is looking at our feedback, and it makes me feel that itā€™s important to continue maintaining our race request and customization megathreads. There are no guarantees weā€™ll see all our dreams come true, but I still feel like doing something is better than silently hoping. Not so much that it takes investing all of my free time to maintain, but to just have something to show the passion we players have for something weā€™d love to see become a reality. I feel a bit more courageous in continuing maintaining my megathreads, and I hope others continue to support their megathreads as well.

And speaking of my megathreads, tomorrow is the third anniversary of this megathread! Iā€™ll have to see if I can make some fun posts to do throughout the next few days, though Iā€™m also trying to make some time to sit down and start revamping the main post of the megathread as well. Iā€™ll have to play it by ear.

In the meantime, we can totally celebrate by partying! :lizard:

Almost three years and still going strong! Playable Saurok for the Horde please. Always! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

1 Like

Today marks the three year anniversary of this megathreadā€™s creation! Huzzah!

Yes, three years ago, an ambitious Darkspear Troll decided to brave the terrors that is the official WoW forums in order to advocate for playable Saurok on the Horde. Although BfA came and went and Shadowlands wasā€¦well, it was a thing, we kept at it in trying to show how awesome Saurok would be if fleshed out into a playable raceā€¦preferably without any further use of the Moguā€™s flesh shaping magic.

As you likely can tell by now, Lizardmen have been a favorite of mine as a race in various settings, usually in the sword and magic type of fantasy setting. They have always been my favorite race in general, from the Iksar in Everquest to Trandoshans in Star Wars, as well as having a life dream of building my own Seraphon army in Warhammer: Age of Sigmar. Such passion helps to keep me going with this megathread and supporting my dream of seeing playable Saurok on the Horde.

And for WoW, a Lizardman race was really lacking for quite a long time. When I first saw Saurok in MoP, I thought theyā€™d have little chance of being playable, likely being relegated to being the angry quest jobber that comes and goes for us to beat up without much thought. It really wasnā€™t until BfA and the whole allied race system that I looked more into it to see if I could come up with an argument for them being a neat playable race andā€¦well, here we are.

Speaking of, most people look down on BfA, but they usually agree that the allied race system, which while it has its problems, was a neat idea. It did open the door to getting some races who would have little chance to ever become playable to actually become fully playable races. So much so that with Blizzardā€™s mention of considering all races with two legs for allied race status, we began to see all sorts of various race requests megathreads pop up. Passion flowed through them of people wanting their dream character in hopes of giving it as feedback to Blizzard for what we wanted to see.

After some time, I thought more and more on making a Saurok megathread and was really worried about its reception. Saurok as a playable race have been discussed off and on after MoP came out, particularly on other web site forums, but the general consensus was that it wasnā€™t likely to see them ever becoming playable for various reasons.

It was honestly nerve wracking when I was designing this megathread, as it took quite a bit of time, so the worry that people would mostly look down upon the idea weighed down on me heavily during the whole process. I eventually got the courage to make the post and put it on the forums, and much to my surprise and delight, the majority of people really liked the idea.

In fact, it seems like interest in playable Saurok has gradually risen since I made this megathread. People seem to talk about wanting the idea a lot, often putting Saurok onto their most wanted playable races list. Iā€™ve even seen some people become really proud supporters of wanting playable Saurok.

Of course, I have no way of definitively saying Iā€™m responsible for that. And certainly Saurok arenā€™t anywhere near the levels of Elf support. However, it is a cool thing to think about having inspired others to really like the idea and giving them a place to voice said support. Sure, this megathread is primarily me posting, but people still come check it out and will off and on give support. And itā€™s still a good feeling to know that my work has lead to excitement at the idea of playable Horde Saurok. It makes me happy to see that, especially if I helped to inspire that in any fashion.

Granted, I donā€™t let the idea of fame get to my head. In fact, I have little interest in being famous. My goal here was to support playable Saurok on the Horde and give a place for people wanting the same thing to voice their support as well. In the event we did get playable Horde Saurok, I would take no credit at all, nor would I ever say I was the reason they became playable. Instead, Iā€™d be excited to see my dream become a reality, help report on all information on them, and look forward to playing my Saurok characters.

Now with Dragonflight, we do have a playable dragonkin race with the Dracthyr, which are awesome, but isnā€™t something that quite scratches that itch when it comes to wanting a playable Lizardman race in WoW. I often consider dragon based races to be much different than Lizardmen races, with there being several differences in culture, abilities, and even aesthetics. Much as I am excited for Dracthyr as a playable race, given how limited Dracthyr are in various ways, that yearning for a playable Lizardman race still remains, and I donā€™t see why we couldnā€™t see playable Saurok still. Thus I still plan to continue onward as best as I can, as I feel that Saurok can still bring a lot to the table and be much different than Dracthyr.

And I wouldnā€™t be here if I didnā€™t enjoy doing what I do. As much work as it is to maintain a megathread for years, with a chance of not seeing our dreams ever coming to fruition, I still very much enjoy coming here and making posts and discussing with others about playable Saurok ideas. It can be easy to get burnt out, and often times it can be difficult I admit, but aside from being enjoyable, I still think itā€™s important to have something like a race request megathread to give as feedback. You never know if weā€™ll be lucky, after all.

While I could go on and on, I think Iā€™ll end off with a thank you. To those who come to check out the megathread, those who post in support of playable Horde Saurok, and also those who have inspired me to begin this megathread and to continue going onward with it. I feel blessed to have support in our endeavors, and even if it was all for naught, I can say that I enjoyed my time doing this and that I have met some awesome people I wouldnā€™t have met otherwise. I thank each and everyone one of you for your support. Thank you very much!

But I donā€™t intend to quit anytime soon. Weā€™re three years strong and weā€™re still going. I plan to keep at it as I keep playing WoW, and I donā€™t see that changing anytime soon. I look towards the future, and will keep dreaming of the day that I see Saurok player characters running around Orgrimmar as champions of the Horde! :lizard:

Saurok for the Horde. Always! :meat_on_bone::crocodile:

1 Like

Happy Thread Birthday! Hope to see these folks added in sometime :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations!

:tada: :tada: :tada:

Iā€™m glad you did. It opened my own eyes to the possibility as well and I will never look back.

One day I will have my little Saurok Hunter and I will proudly have him taste of all the food Azeroth and beyond has to offer!

You are. Your passion and well reasoned explanations of the why and how shows people what could be and how awesome it would be to have in game.

Donā€™t sell yourself short.

:sob:

1 Like

Iā€™m glad I did it as well. Especially since it has been as well received as it has been. I feel really lucky to have people enjoy the stuff we post about in here and gain an interest in playable Horde Saurok.

I donā€™t view it as a matter of selling myself short. I just donā€™t really want to get a big head over it.

Iā€™m sure this megathread has some effect on playable Saurok interest, but I know some people out there may have had an interest in them before because they were the first real Lizardman race in WoW. Theyā€™re a fairly popular fantasy race in general, and I do think that is a good reason why people have liked seeing this megathread as well.

It certainly isnā€™t something self esteem related. I would just prefer to remain humble and not let something like an ego get in the way of showing off how awesome Saurok would be as a playable race. Itā€™s a neat feeling if I have inspired any interest, but as I said, I have no interest in fame. My interest just lies in doing what I can to support playable Horde Saurok as best as I can, as well as giving a place for others who are also interested in it to voice their support. That, to me, is the most important thing here. :lizard:

1 Like

So I had fun thought, even if it isnā€™t quite the most practical thing to do.

A week from today (June 10th) is when Mario Strikers: Battle League, a Mario soccer game, comes out for the Nintendo Switch. One of the features of it is making your own club, complete with its own name, uniform colors, and so on. It allows 20 people to be apart of it to earn points by doing online matches.

So what does it have to do with the megathread? Assuming you can name your club anything (within reason of course), I toyed with the idea of making a club that was Horde Ogre & Saurok themed in the name. Iā€™m not sure what the limitations are for naming your club, whether you can actually name it or have to choose between preset words, as well as if there is a character limitation in its name, but it was a bit of a fun thought as something to do to show off Horde Ogre/Saurok support in other gamesā€¦even if it isnā€™t quite that practical in the grand scheme of things.

If youā€™re interested in seeing the gameā€™s features, Nintendo has an overview trailer here:

Iā€™m planning to get the game on launch day, in which Iā€™m using some of my March birthday Amazon gift card money on it. Iā€™ll have to see if I can do any Horde Ogre & Saurok support in it and other games for fun.

Itā€™s nothing serious. Just a completely for fun thought. :lizard: :japanese_ogre:

1 Like

Itā€™s that time again, folks! The start of a new month! You know what that means?

Another round of in-game suggestion feedback! :lizard:

At the beginning of each month, I usually send in-game feedback for each of the races I want to see and refer to their megathreads on here for more information. I figure it can only help to gain some interest in our requests of what weā€™d like to see, though no guarantees itā€™ll lead to that ever becoming a reality.

If youā€™re interested in doing something similar, I made a guide in the following post that explains how to do it in steps:

Feel free to use it to suggest playable races you want to see!

1 Like

Suggestion day!!!

1 Like

Thinking about the Dracthyr and their lack of transmogs on their dragonkin form got me thinking some about the whole idea of scales and armor.

Something I see brought up with regards to Dracthyr is the question of why they would wear armor when they have scales. The answer of course is simple: scales can only do so much and armor adds extra protection. Scales arenā€™t made of something like adamantium, so they can only other so much protection. And if said scales were to break, a number of issues and vulnerabilities would come from that type of wound.

Granted, scales are different compared to skin or even fur on other races. Certain armor would feel uncomfortable with armor over their scales and possibly hinder movement. Back in the golden days of Everquest 1, for example, Iksar could not wear plate armor because it would chafe their scales. They had to wear special types of plate armor, for classes that would normally wear plate, that acted as a line of heritage armor of sorts. This changed much later in the gameā€™s lifespan, since it was just causing headaches in designing armor for future expansions.

The lack of armor transmogs for the dragonkin form is disappointing in general. Maybe their scales are sensitive or maybe they need to be more flexible as the Evoker class. Hard to say currently since we donā€™t know much about them and any reasonings for why they donā€™t have much armor on in the dragonkin form.

On the bright side, we have seen Saurok wear different types of armor. Some of them have what appears to be a plate armor on, usually with the ring on the back:

Maybe Saurok scales arenā€™t as bothered by armor in general. This is a good thing, however, since if we ever saw playable Saurok, they should be able to wear armor on almost all slots. The only question would be whether they would wear boots or go with something similar to Trolls and Tauren and only have armor on the lower part of their legs above the feet.

I imagine Sethrak would also be able to wear armor just fine. Weā€™ve seen different models of them wear armor. So there is no good reason to not have armor transmogs on Sethrak or Saurok should we be lucky enough to see both playable.

I felt like this was something I should talk about some. Dracthyr are in a different boat having a humanoid form (that gets a little too much focus in my own personal opinion) as well, so that might play a little part in transmog options for the dragonkin form. I donā€™t see that issue at all for Sethrak or Saurok as playable races, and they should be able to wear and shown off armor transmogs in all slots that have graphics.

1 Like