The Inconsistencies of High King, and why the Title Damages the Alliance Identity and Narrative

As a long time Alliance player, I was not too excited to hear about this “Trials of the High King” right around the launch of Mists of Pandaria. As the game’s story has progressed and the title implemented on the newly returned Varian Wrynn, I noticed that the alliance story slowly became more… bland. Stagnate. Predictable. The Alliance has either deliberately or inattentively stopped being an alliance of multiple nations with their own identities and cultures and morphed into a human-ran empire with vassal races who signed away their sovereignty the moment Varian was elevated about his peers. And now with Anduin Wrynn named High King with zero explanation, I am fully convinced that the Alliance of old is dead and rotting. I know Blizzard has gone out and said otherwise, but saying one thing in a dev interview and not showing it in game is a terrible trend that further re-enforces player misunderstanding of the faction. I will try to theorize how and why this happened.

Blizzard Wanted a Alliance Warchief Equivalent. Even if it means copying Horde stories.

Many people who played before Wrath of the Lich King can attest that “faction Pride” was mostly a Horde-only trait. We’ve all seen or heard about how Early BlizzCons would kick off with a loud, hearty “FOR THE HORDE!” that was followed by a limp “for the alliance” that was sometimes booed and jeered more loudly than the cheer was. The Alliance did not have a real central figure in early WoW. All the member nations had their own issues and were focused on putting out their own fires than working together to fight against the common foe that it was born to counter.

As the Expansions dropped and faction stories started to move towards the center stage, there was a clear discrepancy between the two. The Horde had Thrall, a character that was largely beloved by most of the Horde player base. The Alliance had no one. Around the timeline of Wrath, Blizzard decided to do something about this. So Metzen brings back the Vanilla endgame quest trivia NPC Varian Wrynn, with a comic book story.

If you’ve read Varian’s comic (and ignored the abomination that shall not be named in the latter half) you will notice a lot of similarities between Varian and Thrall’s early history. Both were slaves forced to fight in a gladiator pit, struggling to find an identity. However they deviated near the end. Thrall worked tirelessly to build the Horde we know in Warcraft 3 from nothing. Varian however took leave to rescue the Night elves in their new permanent role of damsels in distress that they will now regularly find themselves in. After kill-stealing everyone’s favorite black dragon and ripping off a Marvel duplicate character arc, he was then promptly installed as the King of Stormwind and then center of the Alliance spotlight. I believe Chris Metzen wanted an Alliance frontman, and unsure how to present it a new way that fits in with the Alliance, just repeated a formula that he’s pulled off in the past with a more heroic light at the middle.

An Alliance of Equals? Or Humanity and Their Silly Sidekicks?

Varian immediately dominated the Alliance story. He was technically an equal at the round table of other Alliance leaders; yet due to being the new guy on the table or a sign of future machinations, Varian monopolized the narrative and overshadowed his supposed peers. Varian was the one calling all the shots, the other members either non-existent or following his commands.

(fun fact: there’s a surprisingly similar example of a small time NPC with an overnight explosion of overexposure of importance to both factions in BfA: Nathanos Blightcaller. Take from that what you will)

Fast forward to Cataclysm, but mostly the novels written during this expansion. Looking back at this time with the benefit of knowing what comes next and we see the seeds of the Trials of the High King. Varian has a significant presence in almost all the books, much of it impressing or proving his worth to his allies and single-handedly saving the day. The Night elven damsels once again fall victim to Orcish aggression, and Varian’s leadership this time gets divine endorsement by both Elune and Goldrinn.

On the other side of Azeroth, Magni Bronzebeard; who arguably was the cornerstone that held The alliance together, is incapacitated. Gone now is the one Alliance leader who arguably could rival Varian as a Blue Warchief. Furthermore, Moira Bronzebeard comes out of the depths with the Dark Iron and undermines Ironforge’s stability as a nation. After all this is said and done, the Dwarves of Ironforge are without a sole ruler, bogged down with a council, and are no longer a threat to Varian’s claim as a linchpin holding the alliance together.

Now is Mists of Pandaria, and Metzen’s ideal of a Blue Warchief comes to fruition. The Trials of the High King are announced, and they only get to two Trials in game before the story line is suddenly dropped. There was some significant backlash to them, especially the one with Tyrande in A Little Patience. A lot of people objected to some as revered by the fanbase once again being reduced to a blithering idiot once again to make someone else look good. Blizzard has always struggled to build up a character in its own, they seem to be only capable of breaking down other characters to make them look less than the one Blizzard wants to rise up.

To sell the idea of High King and its necessity, Blizzard has systematically chipped away at other races stability and competence to leave both Varian and Stormwind as the sole sane choices.

An Alliance of Nations, or an Empire? Someone Clearly Skipped or Flunked Out of Their Social Studies Classes.

Both Chris Metzen and Dave Kosak point out in Twitter that this “High King” is anything but a King. Its an elected position. It supposed to be like the Supreme Allied Commander once held by Anduin Lothar and Turalyon. They even compared it to General Eisenhower’s job during WW2. Did we see any of this in game? Not really.

Like I said earlier, all those “clarifications” on High King’s limits and powers were only in tweets. In game, High King Varian behaved more like a ruler than a military commander. We never saw a “formal” Alliance gathering like we read about during the First and Second Wars. Varian made all the calls himself even when it involved other member nations and flexed his authority on other rulers. This is further strengthened when Varian dies, and his son Anduin is with no explanation or clarification outside of a CM assuming the Developer’s intent as to how and why he got the title. Not even in the book Before the Storm is there any explanation or clarification. Additionally, Genn Greymane referring to both Varian and Anduin as “my king” is a sign of submission in real life royalty. Canon versus perception is an ongoing issue with Alliance writing.

How many times have we seen other players incorrectly presume that High King was a literal “king” of the Alliance? That other Alliance leaders were vassals subject to his absolute power? Even big streamers familar with Alliance lore like Bellular is factually wrong to presume that Anduin is Tyrande’s literal “King.” There is a title for a hereditary monarch who doesn’t change their seat of power and rules over multiple nations, Its called an Emperor.

Blizzard may claim that the non-human member races are equal members of an Alliance. But in practice they are very much vassals. By voting Varian as High King, they voted away their nation’s sovereignty to a human kingdom with no chance of ascending to leadership themselves or voicing any input to a who a successor should be. Until someone who isn’t the king of Stormwind is High King, member races might as will be and always will be client races to a human king.

At the same time the Stormwind military became the universal Alliance military. If other races were present, they were either as token support or were fully consumed into the Stormwindian way of war, wearing human armor, using human weapons and tactics and abandoning their own. They even go as far as to wear Stormwind’s banner and heraldry, something that in real life, only vassals of an empire did. Wearing another nation’s banner at war in modern times is actually a war crime.

I’ve seen a call for “Unity” to become the Alliance rallying call. But as someone who doesn’t play a human character, what pride is there in Unity if it means throwing away what makes you unique? If I wanted to play a knight of Stormwind praising my king, I’d play a human paladin or warrior, not a Night Elf Druid.

A Rallying Figure for Alliance Players? Or a Tool to Excuse Writer Apathy?

As we’ve seen in other media as well as in real life, actual alliances are filled to the brim with intrigue, ambition, political maneuvers and backstabbing. Lots of gratuitous backstabbing. Even NATO, the one organization that Blizzard often points to as inspiration for the Alliance, has more intrigue and inner conflict than the Alliance. Even monarchies and empires are filled to the brim with it, as even absolute rulers have to walk on eggshells when dealing with key supporters. Many a president, king, or chairperson has meant an untimely end taking their position for granted or applying too much power to the wrong subordinate.

In spite of that, The Alliance has no intrigue at all. Nothing. This organization was formed by rival kingdoms who trusted each other slightly better than the Orcs invading their kingdoms with knives in their left hand as they shook with their right. They then promptly broke up the second the Horde was no longer a real threat. Not anymore. Ever since Mists of Pandaria, everyone is happily holding hands and singing koombiah. No inner conflict, no lack of trust, misunderstandings, jealously, or power grabs. Blizzard has gone as far as to suppress or retcon any possible division that could jeopardize this perceived “unity.” Even Stormwind itself got watered down to a city of drones who rubber-stamp anything their king proposes. No scheming House of Nobles, no economic crisis, No rivals in power, nothing. Everyone is happy to grab a sword and throw themselves into blight for their boy king without a second though.

Why would Blizzard do this? Game of Thrones and The Three Kingdoms have shown that inner conflict is all the rage in media lately. My theory? Because Blizzard has little or no interest in writing compelling stories for the Alliance outside of a Lawful Good bend. They also stated once that they thought is was rather hard to write stories for Lawful Good, so why force the Alliance into this corner?

Its simple. Writing for the Horde is and always was their passion (I’m not saying they are doing a good job at it Hordies). Dumbing down the Alliance into a Human-ran Empire stuck in a Lawful Good Overdrive chord means they can stop writing Alliance stories outside of the narrow focal point of their High King or other characters close to him (coughJainacough), marginalizing the other races unless called for. This lets them ignore the Alliance entirely and focus all their attention into the faction they seemingly care for in a demented fashion the most: The Horde. Not to mention writing for human characters is laughably easy compared to non-human characters, which requires thinking outside of the box and not reusing old tropes like “Humanity is Special” and other low-effort cliches. Chris Mezten flat out stated that the Alliance’s theme was “Lawful Good Overdrive.” Even though races like the Night Elves, Worgen, and now the Dark Iron are not compatible with the Lawful Good alignment, and forcing the first two into hole has damaged their racial identities in the past.

As someone who does not mainly play a human character, I am rather bored bored with this insipid “story” about how sad Jaina and Anduin are, and am insulted by the lack of effort and lackadaisical treatment other story-lines are thrown out just to regurgitate the same old boring cliches because their writers lack passion for anything Alliance side not Lawful Stupid Overdrive revolving around one or two human characters.

TL;DR- High King was created both to serve as a Thrall-figure for the Alliance, and to simplify the faction into a mundane entity that exists solely to react to the Horde and its stories.

114 Likes

Very well written and convincing. Well done.

I was also very surprised to learn that Anduin had succeeded his father as High King. Tyrande and Malfurion are warriors with over ten thousand years of experience each; Velen is a more powerful priest; Genn is far more hawkish toward the Horde. Any of these would make more sense from a narrative perspective, and from a meta perspective, Genn would be much better at driving the faction war.

I was thinking about this earlier: there is actual racial tension among the Horde races. Pretty much everyone looks down on Blood Elves as physically weak pretty boys and girls. The Tauren are often seen by the Forsaken as cowardly pacifists. The Blood Elves see the trolls as savage (one of my favorite little moments from this expansion is a pair of Blood Elves taking a selfie in front of Dazar’alor: “Make sure you get the big ugly temple in the background!” “I know! It’s so primitive!”) These touches make each race feel unique and independent, not just part of a larger supernation.

Can you even imagine someone from the Alliance acting this way? Can you picture a Draenei denigrating a Gnome? Or a Human looking down on the Dwarves? I can’t.

27 Likes

I take it you saw the newest Bellular video, where he repeatedly talks about Tyrande “defying her king”. Even though the Night Elves haven’t had a monarch in over ten thousand years.

20 Likes

Yes. Bellular just happens highly to be a visible person who echoes what I see and read in game and on other internet gathering points that is factually incorrect. I fear that enough people will repeat it enough that it becomes a reality.

I already have a difficult time trying to be interested in the Alliance story. Anduin, Jaina, and others never have and never will interest me no matter how hard Blizzard tries. Its bothersome to see story lines that interest me thrown out just to repeat the same old story that relies entirely on emotional appeal.

21 Likes

What I find almost bizarre is the Alliance and Horde leadership structure swapped places. Internal conflict and loyalty is something that should concern the Alliance since it has a monarchy. The Horde should have no problem with loyalty because the Warchief position is supposed to be respected from the start, if it isn’t you can just challenge it.

Instead everything is the other way around, the Alliance is banded together for survival, against a rampaging tyranny that follows a “Warchief” that acts more like a longstanding queen.

29 Likes

Yeah. He finally said it enough times to piss me off enough into making my… second or third youtube comment, ever. I normally try to refrain, since youtube comment make GD look like civil and polite discourse, but he had me like this before he was even halfway through the video:

I, too, have no interest anymore in less-than-helpful Anduin, and the newly re-softened Jaina. Funny how these expansions, supposedly planned years in advance, will have content altered for Orc fatigue, Elf fatigue, or demon fatigue, but the devs are decidedly against curing the Human fatigue I’ve had since Wrath.

29 Likes

During one Blizzcon, Metzen was on stage hyping up the Horde, talking about Thrall and I-can’t-remember-what-else. He ended that with a rousing For The Horde! for those in attendance.

Though I’m sure it was planned, it almost seemed like he suddenly remembered that people also play Alliance and might even be in attendance. So he goes on a much more rehearsed hype up of the Alliance and ends that with a For The Alliance!

It was my first time ever hearing that. Nobody said that. Nobody says that.

As an Alliance player, it feels wrong to use that as a rallying cry. It felt wrong and out of place in the Battle for Azeroth cinematic when Anduin shouts it at the end. If anything, the “Together. As one!” that preceded it would have been a much better ending point. Resonates much more with what the Alliance should be: a coalition of nations.

In retrospect, it was probably attempting to give the Alliance faction pride or playing up to what they thought the Alliance wanted to hear. But it just feels like a low-effort afterthought mirror of “For The Horde” attempting to rouse the same enthusiasm with us as Horde players seem to have when they let loose their catch phrase. We’re not the Horde. We don’t want to be the Horde.

With regard to the actual structure of our faction in-game, I think it’ll be awhile before we declare independence from our High King.

Like waiting on a train that ain’t comin’.

Now our ineptitude is how we serve our King. Our silence how we demonstrate fealty. The tragedy of the Kaldorei seems to, if anything, be catalyzing our assimilation into Stormwind.

It may be a conceit to focus development on Stormwind as our faction hub, and an overarching Alliance aesthetic but it does us all disservice to see the disparate cultures of our faction give way to human supremacy and human norms.

25 Likes

Anduin is still a kid, with grumpy worgen and mad witch (or not mad already, i guess she calmed down again, someone from Jaina family will die again) on his ears.

He has no idea what to actually do to stay good person, but also win a war. Confused and alone.

You know this might be why they write the boy king to come as a sue because sue writting is very easy.

7 Likes

Well, for me i have to agree with most of your points.
i was going to create a similar thread if blizzard returns me my damn lvl 3 already but that doesn’t matter.

the high king title has done more harm than good.
i started played wow in WoTlK because i was a big wc3 fan like probably most people.
i loved the alliance characters, hell,i still do even if they don’t get the focus they deserve. (like muradin or alleria returning to do basically nothing)

but during the entire of my time playing wow, i couln’t help but think that alliance was just a secondary character to serve the horde story.

Mop started with theramore destroyed, and yes i was attached to that city because basically it was the alliance capital in wc3.
where did that lead us? to a horde rebellion, having a robo cat to see what the horde is doing, you know instead of focusing in the damn alliance.
We weren’t even allowed to to have revenge on the horde, garrosh escaped and thrall stoled us the kill.

Why i am bringing that? because i am honestly tired and so sick to have the alliance serve the horde story,now if horde players enjoyed that or not i have no idea
but is happening again.
Why this is relevant? Because blizzard actively avoid any chance to give the alliance a story.

This High king nonsense infuriates me like no other thing could.
Characters that i respect a lot, like genn,jaina, tyrande,malfurion,velen ect. start feeling lees and less as characters and more like cardboars with no personality because they all bow to anduin BUT WHY!!!
Why isn’t someone with legendary military experience like tyrande or literally any other alliance leader be the supreme commander?!

and i hate that because i love those characters, i don’t want to see them ruined,and still enjoy them, want to still like the alliance.
As someone who really likes jaina a lot (basically the reason why i buyed the xpac and still playing) i want that blizzard also uses other characters in the alliance to see what they think about her actions or anduins actions and see the conflict, see some personality. This would be great for all the characters involved, because at least THEY ARE CHARACTERS.

i was actually pretty excited with tyrande in 8.1 because i knew(or hoped) that there would be a moment that she will have to confront anduin and jaina who wants to stop the war, they may have their reasons, because they honestly believe that is for the greater good and to save the world.
But tyrande also has a lot of reasons to NOT stop the war.
Then, i heard about the interview that said “tyrande had her revenge” like i am not going to start on why that is so wrong from all levels.
but more importantly, if tyrande is going to stay afk for the rest of the plot until sylvanas dies and she doesn’t confront the rest of the alliance who wants peace that would mean that the alliance is dead because they don’t have any personality

like i said, i want to like all the characters in the alliance, but if blizzard not only decides that there is no longer need for a story about the alliance
so the horde can have their CGI cinematics while the alliance doesn’t get a story at all except for 2 characters then that just means that they are lazy and don’t care about the alliance or their players.

Not even all the fanservice to jaina that has keep me playing so far is going to be enough.
end the high king nonsense i want an alliance with story,not an alliance that only reacts to what the horde is doing.
Because if they keep this trend for 8.3 and next xpac, then just goodbye then blizz, so please, don’t kill the alliance and their characters.
Thank you for reading.

14 Likes

If Anduin is good at his job, then we have a blue warchief. If he’s bad at his job, or people don’t listen to him, what’s the point of having a high king?

I’m gonna be honest, the Telaari Sentinels from Draenor-Nagrand fully equipped with Stormwind armour has bothered me for quite some time. And it’s literally the one place that comes to mind where you see them, so what the hell is up with that?

9 Likes

He could… fufill his role, per further clarifications on what exactly the title High King entails. Where he’d be roughly analogous to Supreme Allied Commander, having authority over forces of the other Alliance member states that were loaned to him, but not over the sovereign leaders of those nations.

4 Likes

Except we have seen, twice now, that if any member Alliance disagree with the high king they can choose to do so. Honestly, I dont think some people will be happy unless we have races trying to actively break off from the Alliance.

As for identity, the various races have kept their identity and if anything, has influence Stormwind MORE instead of the other way around. To the point Stormwind(and the rest of the Alliance) celebrate things like Hollow Ends(yes it celebrated it before the worgens arrive, but thanks to their arrival its meaning was actually brought back as oppose to the hollower attempts at celebrations pass), Lunar Holiday’s from the night elves and Winter’s Veil from the dwarves.

The Alliance of old had an Anduin leading it, if anything Stormwind has always been a central figure of Alliance leadership, and its the old Alliance from Warcraft RTS that is finally back!

So we are gonna ignore the fact that Thrall’s Horde SAVED BOTH Tauren and Darkspear? The point of the Alliance(and the Horde for that matter) is no one can go at it alone and that is why were actually fight TOGETHER.

Speaking of ignoring, are we gonna ignore the fact if not for Tyrande and Malfurion leading the charged the entirety of Azeroth would be in the Emerald Nightmare right now?

We saw Varian in Blood in the Snow, he NEEDS the cooperation of the Dwarves to actually do things, not the other way around.

The high king position has so far not actually shown Anduin/Varian having much say in the internal politics of the races, to the point Malfurion considered the rejoining of the Highborne mages as an internal matter.

As for Varian as a character, I think Blizzard was largely successful to the point his death is an emotional moment for many Alliance fans. Hell, a quick check from a Anduin HotS quote trailer shows his relationship to his son is a highlight. Both Varian HotS trailer and Legion death video has a fairly positive reception of him. Time will tell if Anduin will become as well liked.

3 Likes

It wouldn’t be possible in terms of game mechanics, but it should be a very real possibility in-universe. It should cause Anduin to be diplomatic, and consider every move carefully, and never move unilaterally. Releasing Saurfang for instance. Tyrande should (rightfully) lose her mind when she finds out he did that, without consulting anyone.

Even if it’s done to pander to nostalgia, choosing a leader for an international coalition based on his name is arguably even worse than basing it on who their father is. Especially as they don’t even act alike. Anduin Lothar went down swinging, taking the fight right up to the gates of his enemies. Anduin Wrynn consistently pulls punches against a foe sworn to kill the entirety of his people, and raise them into undead servitude.

19 Likes

Of course the same arguement can be used against her, she let Saurfang live when she thought it would benefit her.

Anduin being choose to lead has nothing to do with his name but everything to do with who he is as character. He was always close with Velen and Genn, Moira also has her own ties with him strengthened since BtS. Jaina, the new leader of one of the most powerful maritime nation in the world is also her ally. Really, most everyone in the Alliance leadership like him.

Couple things, people keep calling out Metzen. Well, he was in charge of story for wc2 and 3 as well as contributing heavily in 1. So all the lore for humans and night elves was, in part, established by him.

What he didnt have involvment in was BfA. So, he established that “high king” is an elected position, and it was. When he wasnt involved in story decisions, anduin inherits high king.

I just feel, its a credit where credit is due type thing both good and bad. There is definetly plenty that could have been done better on his end (green jesus is a meme for a reason, although fire lands was a major patch in cata and that revolved heavily around Malfurion and Cenarious with Hamuul playing sidekick). Just remember that he helped create the night elves that we had during wc3 and he didnt make anduin into what he is today. I cant help but believe golden had a large role in that decision as well as baine, in all liklyhood, becomeing warchief.

I was not happy with anduin leading the alliance. I have disliked this chracter from the begining. When varian died i was convinced that a non human would step up to become the figurehead of the alliance. In some ways that did happen for a bit. Velen took a very prominant role in legion (as he should have) and although khadgar is neutral now he is still an important human figure.

The alliance has gotten plenty of story. Like almost the entire legion expansion. Im not saying thats a bad thing, legion needed to be alliance focused. I dont think that everything needs to be split down the middle, both factions should have their time in the lime light when its apropriate. That being said, i do feel horde has had instances that overshadow what should be alliance focused content. On top of that its usually poorly executed so it ends up being a lose/ lose. Tyrande/ Malfurion not being in nazjatar for example, i dont care that they are supposedly going to be front and center in the future. They need to be a part of the fight against azshara now. lorthemar and Theresa can be supporting them, but this part of the story should be them wrapping up with Ashara.

Each side is haveing differnt story problems. Its not like horde has some amazing story going on. Frankly, most of it is in tatters at the moment.

5 Likes

The situations aren’t comparable at all. Tyrande made the call in the heat of battle, while her people, the Night Elves, and the Night Elves alone, were engaged with the Horde (and the nebulous Alliance PC, who could have been a Night Elf anyway).

Anduin led a joint assault on Lordaeron, that almost every member race of the Alliance fought in, wherein Saurfang was taken prisoner. And was imprisoned, for weeks, maybe months. Anduin, at any point, at his own leisure, could have summoned a council of the other leaders, whose people also died to apprehend Saurfang, to discuss releasing him. Instead, he acted unilaterally.

My saying Anduin heading the Alliance might be a play at the nostalgia over another Anduin leading the Alliance was from a meta perspective.

Cats recently became the world’s most popular indoor pet. Doesn’t mean we should put one in charge of the UN. (Though… now that I say that, it might be an improvement.)

Sure, he’s likable. Or, was likable, before he left the Night Elves out to dry. But, likability doesn’t equate to leadership. Not even in times of peace, and certainly not in times of war. Especially a war of annihilation.

13 Likes

Neat topic, but maybe trim down the title.

1 Like

Speaking as a Hordie who finds the Alliance incredibly boring and bland the best content I found for it was the new cata Westfall quests. I liked that it showed the consequences of war, even if that war was just. For a moment humans in wow became almost interesting. Then after Deadmines it was back to toast

Andy needs something like Westfall. He needs people that still see him as an idealistic kid who has no idea what the reality of war is like. Glenn, Turylon, Tyrande, someone at some point in bfa’s narrative needed to either defy him or undermine him. Hell it doesn’t even need to be because they hate him. It could be a misguided attempt to protect him. Tyrande came close, but Blizz decided to stall that storyline like a truck in the mud (which is very infuriating).

Andy needs to experience growth, self doubt and a real challenge to his rule. He needs to clash with the non humans of the Alliance so they aren’t just humans with silly masks on

21 Likes