Anduin and the title of "supreme commander of the Alliance" (spoiler)

This is fine.

I had to actually double check that. I’d always just assumed it was Fareeya, since she’s the one still on the ship, directing the Lightforged, and overseeing the Lightforging process.

Wowpedia is of a split mind. The Lightforged Draenei page lists Fareeya as their racial leader, but her own page talks about her being Turalyon’s underling by the second sentence.

8 Likes

Perhaps this is not the thread to nit pick…

but could Fareeya be the leader of the Lightforged Draenei while being Second to Turalyon in the Army of the Light?

A tiny distinction that I would be pleasantly surprised to see Blizzard make.

5 Likes

Let’s take the breakdown.

Gnomes… still rebuilding their losses after Gnomeregan and the war of liberation of Mechagon and Mekkatorque in a coma.

Gilneas Genn Greymane’s title of King is mainly an act of courtesy by Anduin as Gilneas no longer exists.

Ironforge let by an uneasy council of three clan leaders rife with suspicion, the appointment of one of them as the Alliance leader isn’t going to go well with the other two and may just fracture an uneasy peace.

Night Elves Tyrande at her best is focused solely on the welfare of her people and has major problems relating to non-elves. And she’s far from at her best at the moment.

Valen He messed up the situation of his own people 25,000 years ago and he’s still in recovery from the death of his son.

So who does that leave to make decisions with anything resembling a level head and the neccessary respect from more than just their own race? Faults and all… that’s King Wyrnn.

Yes it is an Alliance. That word is not synonymous with democracy.

6 Likes

I mean, it’s still more interesting than Anduin.

I had considered it. But we haven’t really had a racial leader that was subservient to someone outside the Warchief/High King before. Though, I suppose the Lightforged are a bit unique in that they’re not a true race, they’re the elite military of the Draenei.

Tl;dr: High King is an Emperor in all but name, and Anduin being HK is a giant retcon on what little lore HK actually had.

I wrote a long post on it a while back. The title exists only to keep the spotlight and story focus on the Wrynns.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/the-inconsistencies-of-high-king-and-why-the-title-damages-the-alliance-identity-and-narrative/186019

16 Likes

Good post.

2 Likes

Not to mention that Turalyon was already the Supreme commander of the Alliance of Lordaeron.
And now, we have this little boy giving commands to one of the founders of the Silver Hand, one of the biggest human paladin heroes, a man with the experience of 10k years and tells him what to do or not.

Seriously, Anduin should kneel in front of him and kiss his boots. Asking him for advice every minute. Who am I kidding tho, I’m sure we will end up with Anduin being more powerful with the Light than Turalyon and Velen combined.

8 Likes

It’s also funny that they completely destroyed any independence and power the Night Elves ever had, now they just need to do the same to the dwarves and the Alliance will basically only be humans.

3 Likes

They already destroyed the dwarves. The Council of three Hammers ensures that the dwarves will be ineffective and require outside aid to do anything.

What Varian did to them was textbook power consolidation and marginalization of a potential rival without the body count typical of regime changes. The Council exists solely to remove Ironforge from being the cornerstone of the faction like it used to be.

16 Likes

Welcome to the story black hole that is Anduin.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/613598356954152961/770586155292950528/20201027_045334.png

29 Likes

It’s…incredibly convoluted as far as I can gather but Fareeya so far as the game is concerned is the Lightforged draenei racial leader, but because the Lightforged are literally just the Army of the Light that makes Turalyon their actual leader, despite you know not being a draenei. Them technically being draenei should make Velen their faction leader because I mean it’s bloody Velen, but as far as I can gather similar whenever there have been meetings of Alliance top brass with the allied leaders present, it was Turalyon that represented the lightforged.

There’s a similar problem with the void elves and their racial leader being Umbric, despite Alleria being their face and their rep. But at least in this case, Alleria is a void elf.

But this is hours late and way off topic.

4 Likes

I think it stems from the fact that, as humans, we identify closely with the human race in the game.

It’s more satisfying for most to have humans be the “leadership” of the Alliance, because of the fact that we are also human.

1 Like

I’d rather it be anyone but the humans to be honest. But Blizzard gotta keep that Human Potential present and front and center.

6 Likes

Are… are we supposed to be identifying with Stormwind Humans? They’ve been generalized to the point of being as dull as watching paint dry. Beige paint. Are people really that basic?

Like, they’re vaguely shaped the same as us, I suppose. If a bit caricaturized. But it’s not like being the stunted mutant spawn of space robots is especially… relatable.

15 Likes

Considering how evolution works, this is actually very relatable.

I feel like the distinction was likely intended by one writer, but will be forgotten by other writers by the time it is relevant again.

Most of us play Fantasy games for…you know the fantasical parts. I didn’t pick a Worgen to have Human Potential and God King Anduin shoved down my throat every moment the dev thinks we forgot about the precious perfect boy king and Stormwind.

Most of us want LESS HUMANS and more of the elves, dwarves, worgen and gnomes to have to center stage. They’re the ones that make the alliance interesting.

12 Likes

I completely agree. I don’t agree with it myself, but it seems an obvious reason.

I do find it interesting. Everyone always says things like “this is fantasy the fantasy races should be the stars” but the main characters are usually the humans anyway.

In wow this is probably the case because their equivalent, the orcs, were reduced to a background race to the elves of either the blood or undead variety. /Shrug

1 Like