*spoilers* - Including genocide in your story and refusing to properly address it is disgusting Blizzard!

:warning: shadowlands alpha spoilers included

BfA started with the complete destruction of a playable race. The Night Elves

• Lost 3 of their zones
  • Lost their capital
  • Lost their racial identity and were shown as weak
  • Had tens of thousands of innocents murdered, burned alive and sent to wow hell forever - they are near extinct now

All of that in an unjust war the Horde started.

Now let’s see how those things were concluded:

• 8.1 was their entire revenge plot and they only achieved killing that 1 Val’kyr. Not even the Darkshore victory cutscene made it into the game (devs confirmed that 8.1 was all the revenge the Night Elves were going to get)

• The Horde blames everything on Sylvanas and makes peace with the Alliance and the Night Elves, they are not only absolved of their crimes but they are even described as noble heroes and protectors of the living after Teldrassil, also they got to keep Ashenvale for some reason

There seems to be a huge chunk missing as a conclusion? How do those things make up for genocide and sending innocents to hell? The Horde didn’t make up or show remorse for anything they did, why did they suddenly get absolved of their crimes, just to pretend that Teldrassil never happened and making people forget about it?

They told us that Tyrande will be in Ardenweald and people thought that suddenly everything will be good again, but now we know that Tyrande is just going to die because she can’t handle the Night Warrior powers (from datamined voice overs).
Sylvanas and the Horde have been redeemed and the genocide they commited has been completely ignored and swept under the rug.

I know that Blizzard hates Night Elves, but even then glorifying genocide and not putting out any efforts to make things better for the Night Elves after is absolutely disgusting and those that are responsible for this should be ashamed of themselves. Step up to your own writing and address it properly. You decided to include such a dark event in wow history, atleast address it properly instead of ignoring it and pretending that it never happened.
Killing off Tyrande early into Shadowlands doesn’t fix anything and it’s ultimate proof that the writers hate Night Elves when after BfA, they make things even worse for Night Elves instead of better. Same with glorifying Sylvanas, Nathanos and the Horde for their crimes, it’s not fun for anyone and it’s simply disgusting if Blizzard supports that…

You can spit on the Night Elves and their fanbase, you have been doing that for years now…but STOP GLORIFYING AND SUPPORTING GENOCIDE AGAINST INNOCENTS. It’s disgusting even if it’s just the Night Elves.

Any unbiased writing team would have seen that the Night Elves would need some positive events after BfA, nope instead they make it even worse. Not only that, but redeeming Sylvanas is even more disgusting than having 8.1 as an entire conclusion for Teldrassil. If the writing wasn’t so toxic against the Night Elf fanbase, we should have gotten things like

• our lands back (yes Ashenvale counts too, taking away 3 zones and giving 1 back is insufficient)
  • a proper revenge plot beyond 8.1, also a victory
  • a new home and rebuilding of the race instead of making things even worse in Shadowlands
  • freeing those innocents from wow hell

I don’t think I have any other words for this than disgusting and unprofessional. I really hope that those that are responsible for this hateful writing toward a part of the fanbase will eventually get caught and exposed of the fact that they hate the Night Elves and want to drive their fanbase away from the game…

If anyone wants to support my complaint and message, please please leave a comment here to keep the post visible, it helps a lot! If the latest comment has been a while ago and you want to help me keep the post visible, make sure to leave a comment! Hopefully Blizzard doesn’t do this to any other race ever again…

(Edit: Also I don’t know why this keeps getting flagged, atleast to my knowledge I didn’t break any rules and I marked it as a spoiler from the very beginning in the first line. If I broke any rules I’m sorry. If it gets removed please tell me why. I just find it unfair for Blizzard to treat a race with a large fanbase like this. If anyone at Blizzard reads this, please stop doing it, just address it properly. We don’t only want negative things and tragedy happen to the Night Elves, we also want positive moments once in a while…)

218 Likes

Christ just beg to have an entire expansion spoiled why dont you

38 Likes

They have said they will address it and Tyrande has some major revelations or something like that in Ardenwald.

1 Like

The Draenei got genocided and even get to go back in time to stop themselves being genocided again and when they do, they’re made out to be the bad guys for doing it. Yrel did nothing wrong.

90 Likes

It’s common in fiction for plot threads to be left open for far later. It might not happen soon or at all, but that’s the reality of fiction. Hopefully something at least gets said about it in Ardenweald. Since they talked about that possibility.

3 Likes

Yea I mentioned that point, we already know what happens to Tyrande in Ardenweald and it’s dissatisfying to say the very least.

There’s nothing to have spoiled. Ion said that Shadowlands isn’t a good time to address anything Night Elf related so maybe in the future.

7 Likes

Night Elves are hated? Didnt they like save Azeroth twice or something. Have two literal demigods as leaders? Idk OP you seem really mad and bitter over pixels js.

18 Likes

Gee. It’s almost as if the story expands with new content. Almost as if an expansion continues the story. Imagine that.

18 Likes

Yeah, I’m sorry, I missed that part on my post.

Don’t get mad… Yet it is alpha afterall and even though there are voiceovers remember that this happen back in Cata too, Rommath was supposed to be a traitor but they decided against it.

Just wait maybe they’ll change that too.

1 Like

Do you mean like Shadowlands where Tyrande dies and Nathanos and Sylvanas are getting glorified? Yea great resolution.

25 Likes

He’ll get a heroic death. Sylvanas will get a Kerrigan redemption. Tyrande will be made a villain.

12 Likes

Not a villain, she just dies because she can’t handle the Night Warrior powers (after she has achieved nothing with them)

9 Likes

Stormwind Humans were almost wiped out by Gnolls.
90% of the Draenei population was killed by Orcs.
Gnomes lost their home as well as their people.
Worgen lost Gilneas and their beloved heir.

Orcs were forced into slavery after being manipulated.
Undead were mind controlled and lost Lorderon before retaking it and lost their racial leader.
Blood Elves were almost wiped put by the Scourge and had their lifeline destroyed.
Tauren were constantly living in fear of Quillboar and Centaur
Goblins lost their home in the Cataclysm, and their life savings.

Light forged Draenei lost Xe’ra.
Highmountain Taurens lost their original Chief.
The Nightborne suffered and were persecuted by the Legion.
Kul Tiras had lost many Proudmoores and suffered an attempted coup.
The Zandalari lost their Racial leader and had multiple betrayals from the inside.

Night Elves aren’t special.

75 Likes

That would somehow be even worse.

3 Likes

It’s datamined on Shadowlands Alpha :smile:

2 Likes

She dies? Nice!

Do I get to collect her head? I was denied Malfurions.

15 Likes

How is that potential? There are explicit spoilers.

2 Likes

Fixed it now

1 Like

You know sometimes people are victims of horrible things, and that’s just like…the end. The perpetrators largely get away with it, their suffering is largely ignored or forgotten, and the world kindly just moves on while awkwardly tiptoeing around it. And that’s the freakin’ real world with real people. So it’s perfectly fair and realistic to put in story telling. And from a story telling perspective, it’s literally the B Story of the B Story. There’s more interesting things to deal with.

8 Likes

By all means lets import hopelessness and callus apathy, because that’s what makes narrative tension and viewer engagement.

The people who create art get to choose how it is created and of what it consists.

They get build artful stories that reveal facets of our very real human condition or they artlessly hack together an edge piece for some kind of borrowed shock cribbed from the real suffering of a world they barely know.

There has been enough decent to excellent art and literature in the past several years such that the summary execution of the meaningfulness of the Nightelves in the game clearly stood out as an amateurish failure to comprehend the nuanced needs of a structured world.

Someone handed a pocket watch to a pack of kids with hammers. The predictable happened.

Lets not bring real life into this. The story ruined a chunk of the game for a chunk of players in a way that cannot be fixed at current levels of effort.

Let the writers turn somewhere else. Where Night Elves are concerned, they have done quite enough.

13 Likes