So People Want The Water Strider To Be Restricted?

I stand corrected then. So they’ve regretted giving us this strider from the beginning, huh?
Why am I not surprised?
I still fail to see why they see this as a “problem” they need to “fix”.
They are most certainly deceitful. They decide to link the strider ability to an object we are going to have to pay for. We already paid for it. We already put effort into it. Just because ONCE IN A WHILE, I can avoid some mobs, and blizzard be like “we can’t let this perk continue, we should have never given this ability away”
Of course they can just take it away. They can do anything they want. But not without losing their already tanking credibility. They can create a different mount that has ww ability. They can make it purchasable, craftable, winnable.

People are used to this little bug. A whole lot of people seem to like it.
I’m one of them. I don’t like what amounts to double taxation for an ability I rely on and enjoy. Like flying, they don’t seem to give a tinker’s damn how the community feels about it, because this looks like a done deal. They won’t be happy until they tick off everyone equally.

4 Likes

How generous.
Out of my 100 characters which can use the strider free at present, one, having the rep, will get a one-use water walking equipment in the mail - and all other 99 will have to pay for it.

And the item also causes any mount to take damage jumping down into water, just like it’s landing on rock - which didn’t happen with the strider - and as it gives all of a character’s mounts water walking I cannot switch to another mount to avoid that.

3 Likes

You get a lot of things in PTR just so everyone will test them out.
A Blue has stated one character gets free equipment.

Going to have to ask for a quote on that one.

It’s 1 free for each character that has the required rep. Since they introduced the account wide mounts around the same time, there was no need to grind the rep on more than one.

1 Like

Here’s one clearly indication we’ll only get one free:

Each quote partially doubled as the first shows where it was originally posted to and the second is more complete, giving context.

Those copy/pastes are basically the entire conversation held with Bornakk.
However, currently on the PTR, all level 100+ characters on accounts that have the Anglers rep/strider are receiving one each in the mail. That’s rather limiting, since they are consumable. I would like to see the free BoA item mailed to each alt that reaches level 20. That would put the striders back at square one. Until you decide to change the mount equipment slotted for that character. Thing is, I can’t see me ever changing it to anything else tbh.

How long have you been playing this game? They’ve been trying to correct player behaviour for at least four expansions now.

For example, I’m a cata baby. When I was questing, I noticed I could fly to the target and thought using my flying ability was clever!

I then also did the fireland reps, and began doing others on the side, because I enjoyed seeing my progression get closer and closer, going from “just 20 more days” to “just 10 more days” to “omg, tomorrow is the day” would make me feel really proud of my time spend and accomplishment.

TO THEN HAVE THE DEVELOPERS STATE TO YOU:

-We didn’t like flying because people used it to reach targets

AND

-We don’t like people filling a bar and being able to predict what date they get it

I’m being literally told that how I enjoy playing the game is wrong!!!

That’s why I left the game, and came back to play the legion content for the lore because I figured I would be somewhat safe from Blizzard’s systems, but no, they still find ways to take away things that I was simply doing in the game.

Seriously, the game over the years is just wack-a-mole by the developers. Stop players from doing X, Y is too popular, remove it, people don’t like Z, buff the rewards so they feel compelled to do it even though they find it boring. Tell them they should love RNG, and how they want to play the game, is wrong.

That’s the current state of WoW and it’s 100% a developer created problem. So guess what, most people told them to take a hike, went to play something else, and we are now at the lowest sub count . . EVER! Even if you don’t want to discuss subs, you see for yourself that WoW is the least popular it’s ever been on WoW or Twitch. The only reason the status quo continues is that the game still makes a lot of money from micro-transactions, despite the reduced subs, and the fact some people have invested so much time they find it hard to leave. If this was a newer game, it would be in a state similar to Diablo, Overwatch, and Heartstone.

7 Likes

It’s sad to say, but that’s exactly where they erred with flying, and they wish to all of the old gods, and the new, that they could take it all back. But the design of the expansion pretty much required flying to be enabled, since it was all connected to the existing old world. Ever notice how since that expansion, we’ve never been placed in any previous world content, that it’s all been newly “discovered” or alternate universe?

That’s just the PTR, they want the equipment tested.
It’s clear from Bornok’s statements the intention is this equipment will only be available at the vendor in live.

That are instanced from all previous content and many of their own subzones?

That’s not the problem which was clearly pointed out to Rygarius and Lore back during WoD. You have to land and engage in combat to complete virtually every quest in the game. Players simply skip the mobs in between because those mobs are boring to kill and don’t offer any meaningful reward when it comes to killing them. Or because you have 3 quests in the camp, turn those in, then get sent back to kill the chief and have to kill all the trash a second time.

Make killing mobs fun and decently rewarding and players won’t skip content.

Case in point: MoP. Probably the highest drop rate for green gear (with decent vendor prices) of any expansion. Also tons of various crafting and cooking mats, Motes of Harmony, Lesser Charms of Good Fortune. And then the rare mobs with fun mechanics and even more reward drops.

Versus a 10g talon and handful of whiskers today.

3 Likes

At this point, I’m not sure I will be using any of the features.

The water walking completely goes away if you take any falling damage. So just jumping off the upper part of the boat causes the mount to wind up in the water, not on it, needing to be recast. It will be no different than just changing mounts at the water now, and I’m guessing that’s about all it will be when it goes live.

If the water walking fails so easily, what will be the downfall of the parachute and the stun resistance. Will the parachute fail if you get too close to an object like a tree or the side of a cliff? It’s not a glider so it will drift and you can’t guide it most likely. Will the stun resistance fail after x number of hits from mobs?

I keep checking in PTR to see if the water walking is fixed, but I fear it is intended, which is not even close to the strider. My main will have the water walking but everyone else will just wait until things work better, which may forever relegate them to a choice of ground or flying on basic mounts.

2 Likes

As it is now, the strider only loses water walking ability if you take mob damage. On PTR, if you even take falling damage, you lose water walking. The strider has NEVER lost water walking even with 50% damage from falling. This, sir, is a nerf.

As far as I could tell from my conversation in the water strider thread, that was akin to the High Elf echo chamber thread, it’s because of a handful of misconceptions people have that they are against this change. From my experience it was:

Fear of change.

Happens with humans all the time. There are the rational, critical thinkers, and then there are the illogical, emotional types of people.

The idea that WoW will never evolve.

I’ve been playing since original WoW beta when I could ride a black raptor without a saddle on it. This game has changed drastically, many times, and will continue to do so in the future as the devs come and go.

Having an emotional connection to walking on water/ a mount.

Some people simply “feel” that they have lost something of value, when, in reality, they has several years worth of using said item. They got their value out of it, clearly.

Being upset about needing to buy things with gold that “they earned”.

As far as I have seen throughout WoW, just because I get to exalted, does not mean I get something for free from that faction’s vendor. Blizz will send them a free pair, and regardless of the cost of the boots, there will be a cost. And, as with everything else sold, there should be a cost associated with it. They will simply pay or not have the water walking.

Boredom/Negativity/Need to complain about anything.

A think much of it stemmed from people’s general frustration’s and they focused on something that is very trivial to vent those negative feelings. Human nature. They know it will not change reality, but complaining helps them feel better.

Conclusion:

In the end, this will be a new system. The system did not exist like this before, and therefore, the water strider’s inherent ability needs to be removed because a new piece of equipment does the same thing. The golem need not be changed because there is (as of yet) no piece of mount equipment for its ability.

The water walking that will now be in the game works like the water walking buffs. In fact, that is, more or less, what the mount equipment is. It is giving players some new choices that are the class buffs. Water walking will now work just like the shaman’s walk on water. The parachute is literally a mage’s slowfall. And the anti daze is the same “unseen” buff that tank specs have that will not allow for dazing.

I like the new system, personally, in that it will give us more options and choices for customization- things I love that many iterations of WoW did not have. The dev’s are seeing that players in game respond well to being able to choose more races, transmog, share mounts across toons, pets, and more. This new system will allow for new crafted items for professions, and it could potentially open up all kinds of other equipment by using the abilities of other classes as well. For example while mounted maybe there will be equipment allowing any of us to:

Double jump while mounted/higher jumping. (Demon Hunter)
Sprint on mount (Rogue)
Blink (Mage)
Heroic Leap (Warrior)
Charge (Warrior)
Levitate (Priest)
Water Breathing (Warlock)
Fast Swim (Druid)

These are a few off the top of my head. They could also have “epic” or even “legendary” ones we can obtain access too based on mounts earned or having a certain number of a type of mount. For example, allowing us to stay mounted while fighting (probably disables flying while in combat). Anyway, this system is cool, in my opinion, and I like it, but not everyone will, and that’s ok!

No one is going to read that

2 Likes

And it sounds terrible and takes away the uniqueness of some mounts in the game. A lot of us spent a lot of time to get that mount and now… not only is the effort I put in essentially wasted, but none of my alts will benefit from it.

It’s a terrible choice and there is 100’s of other issues that are pressing… and here we are talking about something NO ONE asked for. If it was such a huge issue… then why haven’t players been complaining since day 1 about dk’s and path of frost? Why does EVERYTHING have to be homogenized? If players want water walking, play a spec that has it or put in the time like everyone else. ffs. It isn’t hard.

You know what people actually want and have been asking for since BFA hit? Balance. M+ is broken. Arena is broken. Even meters in raids look lop sided. Holy hell the priorities of this dev team are off.

3 Likes

I don’t know, I am sure some folks would like to ride on their water striders but have the anti daze or parachute instead of being limited only to walking on water (which should/would still be nerfed to keep it in line with all the other mounts).

No matter what Blizzard, does, 1% of players will complain about it.

But WoW has so many players that 1% is 30,000+ players.

That is the key to understanding this forum: this forum is for complaining, and the complainers are 1%. They only SEEM like 90%, because a hundred or a thousand players SEEMS like “everyone”…when it’s really 0.1%.

Right now, any level 20+ character I have can just summon a water strider if I need to walk on water. I earned it. It’s mine. It’s easy, it currently costs me NOTHING except the time to switch mounts. Period.

I only use one when I need to cross water a lot on a non-DK/Shammy. Otherwise, I use a variety of mounts - mostly two seaters since I ALWAYS dualbox open world content.

The new mount equipment system means EVERY character after the first one has to go and BUY a 40g token and apply it. Other than my DK and my Shaman (until blizz nerfs them) it’s going to be the only option I look at, so it really doesn’t bring much to the table for me, since I haven’t really played my shaman much at all since Cataclysm, which was the last time they were fun (they were AWESOME in Cataclysm).

I am an altoholic. Getting water walking for every toon on every server across both accounts would add up to a fortune. Meanwhile, gold earning is in the toilet and everything costs too much.

Where is the improvement in breaking what already works? It’s going to cost me a collective fortune in gold I’d rather spend on other things, eat a ton of time in runs to East Osh Kosh MoP to buy, and even more time and headaches distributing a ton of stupid equipment tokens across a zillion toons on two accounts - so I can waterwalk. And again, until Blizz screws us, I CAN ALREADY WHEN I NEED TO.

Every other thing these equipment items do, you can buy a potion or barding of some sort to use as needed.

At best, It’s a solution in search of a problem…except there IS no best and it’s not a player solution at all. It only creates problems for a very small benefit that one can obtain through other means.

Blizz tried messing with the water striders before and it didn’t go well. How hard is it to figure we WANT THEM LEFT ALONE.

4 Likes

I was kind of curious. I was not surprised to see that most of the people that are for the change do not own either strider. Not all, but quite enough.

The equipment system can function the exact same way it would now even if you left the striders as they are. You can argue it would not be fair, but things are not fair sometimes. There are mounts in this game that I was not able to get over the time I have played. Do I want them, yes, would I try to make them change so I could have them, no. They were earned and I did not earn them, that is on me. So put in this equipment system and leave the striders alone, the way the golem is being left alone. We all know it can be done, they just do not want it to be done.

I do like how this system provides the illusion of choice, but if you see it that way I am not going to convince you. Leaving the strider as is, having the golem as is and having the choice to use any of the three equipment tokens as you would for ALL of your other mounts gives you more choice.

1 Like