Shadow Oil internal cooldown

After some testing, it appears as though shadow oil can not proc more than once every 10 seconds.

Frost oil does not have this limitation.

Is this intended? It seems odd that the two items that do this act differently.

5 Likes

Bump.

This is important, and should be addressed.
At least with an indication as to whether or not it’s working as intended.

1 Like

Do we know if it had a CD internal back in Vanilla?

If not, was this behavior changed in TBC or in a later expansion where such behavior could then manifest in Classic WoW to cause problems?

There are so many bugs in Classic because they ported it from Vanilla to Modern game engine that it’s kinda sad… I pity the Classic WoW team because they have gotta be pulling out their hair about now…

1 Like

Concerned paladin here, please reply to this blizzard!

-Illucia Blaumeux

1 Like

Yeah… we can’t check it ourselves, so it would be nice to know if this is intended or a bug.

It’s kind of a huge deal for ret paladins.

2 Likes

SmeetToday at 5:41 AM

Checked shadow oil on the ptr, still has a 10s cooldown

2 Likes

Rets should just be deleted

4 Likes

It doesnt just impact rets. Shadow oil can be decent of other melee too (when it doesnt have a 10s delay between procs, making it bad for everyone)

2 Likes

Classic Devs/QA performance thus far on this bug report:

3 Likes

very nice find. fixed yet?

1 Like

Nah, not yet. Still has the ICD on the PTR as well.

2 Likes

Not fixed in new patch notes?

1 Like

Nope, it is not, according to the notes. Nor was it on the ptr

2 Likes

Well, without the ICD, shadow oil would be much, MUCH stronger than frost, while being a lower level recipe.

It’s possible it was there from the start, but I lack any old wow footage of someone actually using it.

2 Likes

Probably because of their level differences, use differences, and numerous other implications which is why shadow oil has had an internal cool down from the middle of vanilla.

For the last time stop making these stupid useless shadow oil threads.

It’s not going to change your grey and green into purple and orange parses.

Please use the bug report properly instead of spamming useless ret threads that are constantly told no.

2 Likes

Nothing has been told no.

This isnt yet in the “not a bug” section.

It is entirely possible that this is a bug, we are incapable of confirming it, blizzard is not.

As it stands, shadow oil is unusual here as internal cooldown weren’t used in vanilla as a balancing mechanism. The only ones that did exist were to prevent chain procs. The fact that shadow oil is the only example of this mechanic in the game is highly suspect, and worth investigating.

Also, the spell damage scaling on shadow oil, paired with the commonly used shadow damage boosting debuffs make this actually a pretty huge deal for ret paladins, and we would stand to gain a very noticeable chunk of damage if this were fixed.

Without the ICD, shadow oil is by far our best weapon temporary enchant.

1 Like

Normally I would agree because you’re making reasonable deductions. However, you must of missed the thread with all the super old archives posted in it.

They aren’t going to mass fill the ‘not a bug’ section for a consumable literally no one should be using in the first place as its dps increase is so minor compared to other weapon enhancements.

The archive was on one of these crazy, ‘please balance ret like private sever’ lunacy threads.

Also, the spell damage scaling on shadow oil, paired with the commonly used shadow damage boosting debuffs make this actually a pretty huge deal for ret paladins, and we would stand to gain a very noticeable chunk of damage if this were fixed.

No sorry that’s a private server thing, just because someone with a top log uses it for 0.1% increase over the rest of the top parses uses other items doesn’t mean anything.

I could took most of my gear off on classic and still parse over 50%.

If you want the archive go dig through the lunacy posts from private server rets.

3 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

Without the internal cooldown it would be stronger than ANY weapon enchant.

I.e. worth 30-40 DPS in total. It’s not a minor effect at all.

Every ret should be using it if it didnt have an internal cooldown. It would be considerably stronger than any permanent weapon enchant.

The internal cooldown, which is very out of place in vanilla, is the only reason this isn’t an amazing consumable.

3 Likes

Hi smeet i hope we get a blue post on this

1 Like