RP-PVP Confirmed for Classic

Well this sounds terrible… my hype for trying the RP PVP server for the first time is dead.

The removal of world defense and sharding/CRZ would still be a problem though :frowning:

Even though I didn’t play on ED, I had a lot of fun WPVPing on WrA and world defense contributed a lot to that. You got alerted when something was up, there was dedicated community channels to call for assistance and you would start to see the same faces which built community. In addition you knew if you tried to go mess with the other faction’s stuff someone would come out to stop you.

Now I can go into Ashenvale and carve my name into any tree I want and no one will come because there’s no world defense telling the Alliance I’m there screwing up their stuff.

1 Like

So true, and so missed, I loved it when WD would ring out and see if it was “Our base”

2 Likes

Not really, no. First, prior to implementing WM, Blizz removed the WorldDefense channel. On RPPVP servers, it was very common for RP guilds to claim a town/quest hub that was their guilds RP base. When attacked, the guild housed in that location would respond to the threat. This was one way guilds cross faction would target and engage specific rival guilds.

Also with Legion, we got serious sharding and crz. This effectively splits up the community which used to be restricted to a specific server and spreads them across many instances of X zone based on player numbers and Blizz claims that it attempts to balance the factions in that area. That’s okay on paper. But on servers where it was common for large scale battles between multiple raid groups, it makes that style of play impossible. For example, if Ally Guild attacks Orgrimmar, prior to crz/sharding, Horde Guild would respond and they’d fight for a while until the Horde pushed them out or the Ally Guild kicked enough tail to establish dominance and ported away with a win in hand. Now with crz/sharding, if Ally Guild attacks Orgrimmar, Horde Guild forms a raid and enters Orgrimmar and the server goes “whoa guys, too many people in one zone” and throws Horde Guild to a new shard where they can’t interact with the Ally Guild.

CRZ throws people from many different servers into the same shards. So where used to you would be questing out in the world and get into engagements with people from your server, now it’s this bizarre system where you might get attacked by a guy from a server you’ve never heard of and you may never see him again. It craps on the ability to form relationships with people from your server organically. I’ve made so many friends as a result of getting ganked and someone coming to my rescue or vice versa or even friendly rivalries with people from Ally side who I enjoyed going toe to toe with whether it was in spontaneous WPVP or a large scale pre-planned RPPVP campaign.

Warmodes biggest problem is with sharding and crz, in my opinion. If they would remove the crz, just let RP realms consist of ONLY people from your server and don’t split zones into numerous shards based on player count, then I would be all for WM. I absolutely support people being able to drop their pvp flag on pvp servers because I understand that many people roll where their friends play and might not be as into pvp as other people. That’s fine by me, I’m not one of those “you rolled on a pvp server, pvp happened, wah wah” jerks. But regardless of whether they’re flagged or not, everyone from that server should still be able to see and interact with each other, especially on RP servers.

edit: Also, with WM, they introduced the stupid pvp rewards in the form of the underdog bonus. This strong arms people who don’t enjoy pvp but feel the need to min/max to enter into warmode which usually results in a lot more people running in larger groups. Again, it’s a lot less organic than the RPPVP servers used to be. Most of the people who used to engage in RPPVP play did so out of a love for the RPPVP and the community, not because it was going to help their raiding or get them a little more gold or a new weekly piece of armor. The RPPVP and the community was it’s own reward. Warmode is flooded with people who don’t want to be there, so they flag up in large groups and turn it off once they’ve finished getting whichever reward they’re currently working on. It’s just a big disruption to the community which used to exist in these places. And that’s not really even touching on the underdog bonus being calculated regionally and not based on server grouping so even on servers/shards where one side drastically outnumbers the other, they can still reap all of the rewards as if the opposite is true.

5 Likes

I’ve never used Warmode just because I hate PvP more than I want the bonuses offered for it, but I agree with the point that those are a bad idea. It seems to me that the best feature of Warmode is enabling PvPers and non-PvPers to have their own spaces and not get in each others’ way, and incentivizing the non-PvPers to PvP is just messing up the experience for both groups.

3 Likes

Ah that makes sense. I hadn’t actually noticed the world defence channel was gone… That really sucks. Also tbh warmode should just be one shard on its own imo. Breaking it up more seems to kill the experience. Thanks so much for the patient and detailed explanation for a non pvper such as I! Like Azhaar, I don’t even use warmode at all.

2 Likes

A lot of the big name EDers are going there so the atmosphere will more than likely be similar to old ED.

And Streamers hate going there

From my experience, EDers hated being in ED for a good while. Then again, this is Classic, so I guess things will be different.

I’d love to roll as a rogue on that particular realm. Do some highwayman junk.

1 Like

This is something a buddy and I did way back when as druids.

Had some nifty encounters at the entrance to Un’Goro Crater.

2 Likes

I shared this story before but to add an example to ocmulgee post about CRZ being a disaster.

There was an Alliance raid with multiple bounties camping a quest area. OK guess it’s time to form a counter raid and PVP except our Horde counter raid got sucked into another shard with no Alliance raid and PVP didn’t happen. Since I can’t complete my quests in a raid, I drop and I’m dumped back into the shard with the Alliance raid and I die.

There was multiple attempts by our group to form new counter raids so we’re not sucked into another shard or stay as a 5m group but all of which didn’t work.

Eventually it was just a night of our small group chipping away at the quest objective avoiding the murder mob and it wasn’t fun. We wanted to PVP but for whatever reason the sharding was preventing us from forming an actual sizable group to fight back.

The thing is, I bet this was happening with alliance players. The shard we’d get dumped in that didn’t have the Alliance raid would have stragglers just out solo trying to do the objectives. I wonder how many of them tried to form their own counter raid and got pulled into another shard to find no Horde raid to fight. Then dropped only to get killed by our Horde raid looking for their Alliance raid.

Anyway PVP didn’t happen.

3 Likes

So what realms are people considering? I want to make sure I put my alts in the ones that will be the most likely to have the biggest community.

I will be rolling on one of the RP-pvp realms and I think Ephie will be as well.

We are going to make the park tavern a forsaken restaurant where dinner comes to you.

5 Likes

There’s an Option for RP and RP-PVP both only have a single one.

As for those QQing about greifing in a RP-PVP server. It has a PVP mindset role If you’re in a contested zone and don’t expect to be attacked Mid RP you’re doing it wrong. RP-PVP is Nam, while Rp is more so Just WW1 trencwarfare. Some people pref one and some the other. Old School Vanilla is much much much more Wpvp centered and community driven, people comparing newer ED I.E anything past WOTLK are doing it a disservice.

2 Likes

With no toys, flying, phasing and gimmick items hopefully it actually works out.

1 Like

Here’s the Grob Discord link (remove spaces)

https: // discord.gg/EkFASsb

1 Like

If you want to RP in ‘peace’ …then please roll on a regular RP server (or stay out of contested territory)

RPPVP realms are aggressive. If you roll there please expect to have to defend your RP bases/RP events from attack from time to time… and please don’t cry RP griefing if you are attacked. We must assume that people who roll on a realm with a RP culture and a PVP ruleset…want to PVP ALL THE TIME. We assume they LOVE to pvp … and therefore attack them without mercy.

4 Likes

And its gone right over your head. Whom cried

At what point did I even come close to that? See you are trying to bait a strawman argument and making it all about the PVP, ignoring what comes before that? Let me type slowly so you can stay “Up to speed” RP- (wait for it) RP-PVP See then comes the PVP part, at no place did I disparage the PVP, again I was okay with the PVP.

There are more than one way to grief RP, seems that everyone but you knows what and how it transpired.

2/10 For troll response.

1 Like

I’m gonna roll on the RP server, because I want to RP in a world when the Scourge is at its height. I reckon that’ll be interesting. In some ways it’s a more terrifying time than the current story even.

2 Likes

Ah, the ol’ victim blaming mentality. Timeless.

4 Likes

Colepain will definitely be making a comeback on the RP PvP server. However, if that ends up super toxic despite our best efforts…then I’ll be switching to the RP server. Leveling is a chore, but I’m not about to let a grind get in the way of having old school RP fun.

I want patrols through the Eastern Plaguelands, I want RP events holding the Bulwark from another rush from Andorhal, I want RP raids into the Hillsbrad Fields for test subjects for this ‘blight’ that I have heard the Apothecaries talk about.

I want Alliance to attempt to stop us, and maybe even succeed, hence the RP PVP. But if it gets to the point of people doin the dip dip potato chip, making toxic call out threads left and right, and just generally being bad sports…I will not hesitate to move over to the RP realm and just host a PvP night every now and then.

I love WPvP and RPPvP…but I refuse to let the RP be overshadowed.

7 Likes