Renown Ban Wave?

Ekon is correct here. This has been posted many times here over the last 4+ years and it has never been corrected by an SFA/Blue. Multiboxing is allowed (provided no input broadcasting/third party software shenanigans, Blizz has said this explicitly), but unsupported by Blizz (meaning if things go wrong, they do not help). So you take your chances. You can do a google search or forum search for past instances were this has come up.

4 Likes

Understood. I think we get that they don’t support the assistance of players multiboxing.

As in don’t expect them to help with …" I want to multibox, can you support/show/tell/facilitate me how?" In addition, we know the game is not designed with multiple accounts playing at the same time.

In this case the bug/exploit impacted many folks who were multiboxing or had multiple accounts open who were playing the game with no knowledge or intent of exploiting.

2 Likes

Unsupported applies in other areas we see here too. One example: unsupported player to player transactions that are not strickly agaist the rules, but if something goes wrong, Blizz won’t refund the gold, etc. These can be things such as xfer of gold across game versions, etc. These can end poorly if one of the sources of gold is an RMT mule or a cheat or whatever bad actors thingy. There are cases where players have ben ripped off doing unsupported boosts, carries, etc. The gold is not returned, though, the bad actors may get hammered, they don’t talk about specific actions against other players.

Blizz tends not to define all their rules deeply and specifically (in some cases) because players rules lawyer when things go south (or try to get right up to the line, etc). We see that a lot here, too. By this I also mean, that not all situations can be covered in black and white, some of these are judgment calls, etc.

I wish you good luck on your Appeals Acton. Keep at it until they say no more.

5 Likes

This is just speculation though. We have no full details into the actual exploit, and/or what triggered the exploit.

1 Like

Yep, no details on the exploit itself…but some insight on how the process works from someone who used to be on the hacks team. (He no longer works for Blizzard.)

4 Likes

I’m no fan of multiboxing. I think it’s against the spirit of fair play. And I glad Blizzard has moved to make it far less prevalent and far less convenient to engage in that playstyle. All that said, I sympathize with those who got punished for an exploitation they had no idea was happening. The hardcore raid teams who discovered this and clearly exploited the situation for very specific reward should definitely be punished (and for more than the little 4 day slap on the wrist). But it’s disappointing that so many people were swept up in this ban wave who genuinely had no idea it was happening.

I know real world analogies often fall short in these sorts of discussions, but consider this. A bank has a very unusual glitch such that the ATM is not sending the withdrawal data to the bank under very specific circumstances. If you use the ATM and withdraw $100, everything records just fine. But before exiting and removing your card, you decide to withdraw another $100, the transaction doesn’t got through, but the machine still spits out the money. A nefarious person may abuse the system glitch over and over with malice of forethought to get thousands of dollars. That person should be prosecuted. On the other hand, another customer may simply have withdrawn $100 and forgot that she needed $200 for the week and then withdraws another $100. They may not noticed the receipt showing the transaction failure. Surely, when the glitch is discovered, the bank will need to correct their account, but that innocent person should not be prosecuted.

So, how do we (well, Blizzard really) sort out the innocent bystanders from the malicious exploiters? There’s the rub. I hope they can, and I wish good luck to the truly innocent folks swept up in this. As for the compensation (if warranted), getting credit for 4 days (basically $2.00) seems a bit light, but that’s just opinion.

#dfmb

3 Likes

See my post above yours for how Blizzard sorts it out. It’s overall pretty fair.

1 Like

There’s also clips of him talking about how they used to have pizza parties on the days ban waves went out and they’d read certain forums filled with exploitation schemes and laugh at the exploiters who’d whine about losing their accounts and that’s fine and dandy. What’s not okay is the lack of nuance and effort that went into this particular ban wave.

According to you.

5 Likes

But we don’t know there was lack of nuance and effort. That’s just people speculating. And guess what, people that get caught lie about it, especially on the internet. I’m going to believe Blizzard over the “I didn’t do nuthin” people.

That’s not saying mistakes never happen and truly innocent people never get caught up in bans. It’s happened before. But it’s comparatively very rare and usually quickly sorted.

8 Likes

According to everyone who was just playing with a family member or simply logged in with two or more accounts on the wrong day when they went to do the Azj-Kahet quests, I only noticed I was gaining more reputation than usual when I compared it with my friends’. My brother hadn’t made any pact with a sergeant yet (he preferred to complete side quests alongside the main quests, while I completed the main quests first), and even so, we gained literally double the reputation without intending or knowing how (I finished the Azj quests with reputation 14, while my friends finished with reputation 7).

On the same day we were banned for 4 days, I submitted a ticket and, besides an automatic reply THREE days later, just before the ban time was up, the GM still managed to get my name wrong! They didn’t even address the issue properly and seemed indifferent, and it was actually a GM from Blizzard Europe who responded. Customer service is getting worse and worse.

2 Likes

You are right. Folks who were suspended are silenced on the forums so we are also only getting info from those who have multiple Bnet accounts (like me).

Some word from Blizzard - the initial upheld followed by just this morning a note saying they are “reinvestigating” but that will take up to two weeks.

Our suspension is over tomorrow.

2 Likes

You can’t “play with a family member”. The way you’re describing “playing with a family member” is account sharing and against the rules. What you describe doing is LITERALLY not allowed.

7 Likes

That has no bearing on this particular ban wave and regardless, are you implying that a 20 year old game couldn’t possibly have people old enough to have kids playing the game with them with linked accounts? Are you implying that isn’t allowed?

Generally speaking? Technically, yes. It’s one parent and one child. Not a family playing, not a parent and their three kids. One (1) parent with their one (1) child on it.

4 Likes

Yes, This isn’t implied, this is explicitly not allowed.

6 Likes

To add on to this, IF that is the case, then someone will be losing all their pets/mounts/ect. as Blizz no longer separates accounts/B-nets.

1 Like

Respectfully, “one parent and one child” is a family to many people like myself. Please use better word choices next time.

3 Likes

One parent and one minor child.

4 Likes

First, according to my tickets, this has never been an issue, as it has always been reported by me when necessary. Second, when I started playing, I was under 18 years old (the age of criminal responsibility in Brazil) and my brother was over 18. Account sharing is different; there are exploitable and non-exploitable types. Don’t confuse them and don’t shift the subject of what is being discussed in this thread.

BTW: Is this considered a bannable offence? (account sharing under 18) - #9 by Vrakthris

1 Like