Rename Void Elves and expand their lore

How? What makes them more interesting to you?

More interesting to me too, but we’ve talked about that already.

Agreed regarding the use of “pure high elf”, I think it’s a recipe for disaster, especially because it’s so immaterial.

Demon Hunters function more like their own race, but they are still considered blood elves and night elves.

Death Knights are all undead I guess? But that doesn’t make them less of their living race.

I just think the naming conventions and semantics are irrelevant to what someone’s own personal playable character is or is not.

Actually the only physical difference between a Blood elf and a High elf was due to eye color from fel exposure, beyond that there are no difference in the slightest between the two.

From a personal story perspective, I can agree.

Yeah like, do what you want with the NPCs, and the campaigns, and the quests and whatever, but that literally has zero impact on what someone’s personal character is.

Which is what the lead narrative designer was getting at on twitter, people are creating their own rules in their head about what should or shouldn’t be applicable to other people’s characters, or playable characters in general. The truth is, it doesn’t matter.

Looks if Alleria can play the gray area of being a high elf/void elf. The same can easily be said of the player character. In as much as how we define ourself for rp purposes. Basically, this is carte blanche to call yourself a high elf/void elf/blood elf if you want to Alliance side. Horde side call yourself high elf/blood elf if you want.

1 Like

Yes, you magical tweeter you.

1 Like

Yea, I think that’s fair. When I’ve talked about things on an “official” level. I mean only that. Pure gameplay/hard lore. That’s it. I would never want someone to think that I would try to police their personal rp story.

1 Like

But they’re two completely different themes. Mixing High Elves and Void Elves is bad. Void Elves are emo purple elves who seem reserved and like to dabble into dangerous magic, High Elves were against Fel magic, and they were heavily pro-Alliance. Blue vs purple. Blizz is killing both of their themes if they’re trying to consolidate them :\ We don’t need a void elf Silver Covenant.

1 Like

I don’t think they are consolidating their themes, Void elves are just getting Normal skin tones, nothing else.

Well when you think about it, what does picking a playable race actually do for someone in the game.

I can only think of a handful of quests or interactions that are race specific and any racials are purely gameplay mechanics akin to being able to die and come back to life a few seconds later.

That’s like 0.000000000000000001% of this massive game they built. So to me the name void elf on a playable character is immaterial.

I am 200% on board with continuing the void elf narrative in the game, I think that’s lost on people sometimes when they see someone saying “well my character is going to be a high elf”, that doesn’t mean they don’t want the void elf lore to be expanded or continue, it just means it doesn’t affect them personally.

Whether they continue on with the Silver Covenant and the Alliance Quel’Dorei presence moving forward is not particularly important to me, because that history still exists and it’s still something I feel apart of, void elf or not.

Having said that, I do anticipate it being part of the game moving forward, but I’m all for just letting Blizzard’s narrative designers play it all out and enjoying the show.

Fair enough. I would like some more “official” lore on how the two alliance elf races interact and stuff.

Just as I would like to see more high elf/blood elf lore for the horde side.

I bet something goes down at dalaran and the hgih elves that is families with the BE decided to go horde, it’s possible.

Back when the new race/class combinations were announced before Cataclysm, people literally thought the sky was falling because night elves could now create mages. At the time, those themes were literally the antithesis of each other.

Now no one ever talks about it, because it’s how they developed the story moving forward.

PS: How are you a gnome priest, but still a night elf. Did you race change and it’s just a glitch? V cool.

3 Likes

He must be the rare Gnome elf!

1 Like

Again, what do you expect people in the Pro Helf crowd are going to do?? Blizzard is rolling High Elf aesthetics into the Void Elf race rather than creating a proper stand alone High Elf AR. They’re already giving them the skin tones and the eye colors. That’s one giant step in the door. Most people or a large number of people in the Helf Community see this as their new avenue to request High Elves from thus that’s what they’re going to do. I believe it’s more likely at this point we’ll get proper High Elves through the Void Elves than a new allied race. It’s the card that we’ve been dealt.

Also: I don’t see “High Elves” returning to the Horde. That’s not to say people can’t RP that but I think the blue eye options for Blood Elves are simply going to be Sin’Dorei who were cured through the cleansed Sunwell. That’s just my opinion though. When people say “High Elves” that’s almost universally associated with Alliance aligned Thalassians.

1 Like

The levels of assumption in this post is of legendary propertions!

The VE skin colors is to let players play closer in line with alleria, not high elves. This is the only answer unless they state otherwise, also not what they said before they announced the customizations.

2 Likes

The whole reason this debate exists is because some people haven’t moved on from Warcraft 2.

5 Likes

We can help those ppl with this!

Lightforged WC2 alliance race choices as a toggle instead of an eye toggle!