Recent Actions Against Exploitative Accounts – August 2023

To provide more transparency on the actions we take against cheating and exploitation, here is a breakdown on the number of actions that were taken over the last month, August 2023:

Total Exploitative WoW Account Actions in August 2023: 145566

All of these actions were for cheating or exploitation, which primarily result in permanent bans or 6-month suspensions. This number does not include other actions such as those taken on accounts with character name or in-game language violations. We continue to evolve our methods and act against these malicious accounts on a daily basis.

13 Likes

At this point…how many people still believe they’re banning over 100k in bots monthly? I certainly don’t lol

22 Likes

I do, it’s likely the same people every banwave.

Not like someone who makes money off botting is going to retire because blizzard slapped them on the wrist.

They probably buy or steal fresh accounts, tweak their bot to try and avoid detection and get back to it.

4 Likes

Is there anything you can share with the community regarding the rampant abuse of the free transfer service that’s been an ongoing problem in Classic Era for over a year? I made a thread about this exact topic back in April ([Classic Era] Exploitation of Free Transfers) yet the situation appears to only be getting worse.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that free Xfer service was implemented to facilitate players returning to their Era clones from the progression realms. With that cloning service now retired, what purpose do these unlimited free transfers serve other than as an opportunity to continually exploit resources off the lower pop realms and bring them to the Xfer destinations?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

It’s getting sad how desperate you are to try and claim “See! We do care about punishing bots!” and yet you didn’t do this until AFTER putting the WoW token into Classic and the only reason you’re doing it now is to try and make it appear that you’re not incompetent. These numbers are less than 5% of the problem and anything concrete to solve the issue would’ve required you to care before community backlash over the WoW token IE 2019 when it first started happening.

1 Like

Total Exploitative WoW Account Actions in August 2023: 145566

Good to see that Dragonflight/Retail has safeguards to detect cheating behavior. However, were any of these 145,566 account actions for infractions on the various WoW Classic servers?

It’s silly for a post within the official WoW Classic forums to give a monthly Account Actions figure that equates to a third of the worldwide raiding population of Classic without going into any detail. This does not provide more transparency, nor does it even provide a breakdown.

Is this a coded way of letting us know that Classic servers are being completely ignored by bot detection? I would love to get Account Action numbers that only consider the game that I play. We have not gotten numbers like that in the four years that Classic has been out. Until then, I’m going to assume what I see in game is true, and that no action is being taken whatsoever on any Classic servers.

3 Likes

Banning legit players who are soloing dungeons or trading gold between retail and classic shouldn’t count, not to mention your customer service in resolving those issues is beyond abysmal. Shouldn’t ban anyone if you don’t have the CS representatives to actually help those who get falsely banned.

2 Likes

I’ve been reporting farmbots on EU servers in Zaralek Caverns for at least 2 months. The flying patterns are completely unusual for actual players and you can observe their messed up script priorities each time they die inside of lava pools or to NPCs they can’t deal with. Their gear is as bad as possible for a fresh lvl70 (never changes within weeks), they sell next to nothing on the AH, just trade it all away to another char to obfuscate
the trail and forget to repair their broken gear on a regular basis.

1 Like

I would check Obsidian Sanctum for mages :slight_smile:

1 Like

What was the average account age if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

145k sounds like a big number but is it really enough? :expressionless:
a single number really isn’t all that transparent either.

for real?
looks like blizzard banned almost 1million account in past 4months LOL

At best these threads are comedy. At worst it’s a slap in the face to players that Blizz thinks anyone believes this nonsense.

Players can login to the game and see the actual reality of the situation.

2 Likes

So, you think this post is Blizzard publicly lying?

While I suppose that it is possible, it doesn’t seem plausible to suspect that they would do such a thing. For one, if they have been actively lying to the community with these such posts, why hasn’t anybody from Blizzard (maybe an ex-employee who was dismissed due to not wanting to go back to the office, or something) come out and said anything?

Also, what do they stand to gain from these posts? The general feedback on them seems like they are poorly received. Do you feel they have a financial benefit to lie about the numbers of accounts they ban?

Shareholders would likely care. As Activision-Blizzard is a publicly traded company, there may even be details in their reports.

Anyway, while of course anything is possible, it would be quite surprising if any company as large as Blizzard was actively lying to its customer base about something so trivial as this, for seemingly no financial incentive, and having it continue for years without ever being exposed.

1 Like

Until Blizzard invests in AI anti-cheat, they’ll make no serious headway on this matter.

lying with statistics is very easy and full of plausible deniability :expressionless:

Thank you for the update Kaivax and thanks to the staff that is removing cheaters on our behalf.

1 Like

Yes.

You mean how Blizzard lies about lots of things? Look at what happened with Overwatch 2. They don’t care about players AT ALL. They care about money.

3 Likes

Make this the default setting and do this once a week.

1 Like

Broken armor isnt always a bot. I have a dedicated herb picker / miner druid toon that i intentionally never repair on because why would i? I don’t plan on ever actually playing the toon. Its just super efficient to log over, farm a little while im waiting on my friends, and log back.