Realm Transfers for Thunderfury

Hi,

Thunderfury is now a low-pop realm – effectively, it is in its dying stage. I have paid for four transfers to this server several months back from Kromcrush. After a few months, all transfers from Kromcrush to wherever ended up being 100% free because Kromcrush was a low population server.

I have already paid for transferring my main from Thunderfury to Grobbulus due to inability to find groups or maintain having fun at all, and I have several characters I would like to play but feel that it is stupid to pay MORE MONEY to play them.

I’ve already paid once for a transfer for a character I’ve transferred before. Can I just get my other characters transferred for free now?

I don’t see the point in waiting for the inevitable. We all know what happens now. Thunderfury is dead.

6 Likes

Yes it is.

Now pay that $25.

1 Like

Oh look, the donkey rears his ugly head in a server transfer post. What a surprise.

You must really get a lot gratification out of telling people to give Blizzard money, huh? Kind of wild, ngl. You must have a boring life.

5 Likes

You mean $75+? No thank you badmafs troll.

2 Likes

The answer has been obvious from the beginning. Mega server.

2 Likes

That’s fine, but don’t hold my characters hostage while they spend the next year and a half doing trade studies and figuring out the right move for the greater good.

I want to move the rest of my characters off a realm where I am unlikely to find people to play the game with.

2 Likes

Then enjoy your dead server

It’s the only solution that ever works.

There is no solution that fits everyone when it comes to dead servers.

Blizzards hands off approach is the best way.

Pick a server that will last all through TBCC and WOTLK Classic that way you only pay once.

I’d say hold off for now as long as possible since you already transferred your main, and yes it does suck to be separated from your alts. Once Blizzard gets the amount of money they think they can they’ll probably open more free transfers to stop those holdouts who would otherwise unsub from doing so.

It would suck to pay to transfer alts and then 2 weeks later it’s free.

Your thread asking for this is fine. I also know people who have paid to transfer twice due to this sort of thing and it was definitely not a good experience for them.

7 Likes

Best thing to do was wait for the mega servers to present themselves, then pay 1 time.

Can’t imagine being that impatient people paying for 3 different xfers for all their toons.

I disagree. They literally made transfers from all at-the-time low pop servers free. It’s a matter of time before they do it again. I had said this months before they did it that they would do it amongst many people I play with, and most of them disagreed. Most people who have played the game as long as I have or longer generally agreed Blizzard would eventually do exactly what they ended up doing, which is what I’m asking for.

Mootwo, you are quite possibly the most mature poster I have seen here and this is not the first thread I’ve seen you be so accommodating to those with frustrations (including myself). It’s a shame, but you’re right - it’s just a matter of them thinking they have reached max profitability for people willing to pay for transfers.

It’s sad to see a company who makes its money off of a monthly subscription continue to try to squeeze additional money out of people who want to play the game they are paying for.

Again, thanks for understanding and chiming in with your agreement.

6 Likes

These 2 things contradict each other.

I don’t think it’s ever truly just about profit as they have done stuff for free to try and help the community, the issue is that the community wants mega servers no matter what anyone says or thinks.

The community is the issue not the way blizzard handled it.

Not at all. I think your understanding of what I’m saying is wrong or you have an incomplete picture of what happened. I don’t know where you’ve been playing, but I come from Kromcrush. And Thunderfury. And now I’m on Grobbulus. I know this in-and-out

Kromcrush people like myself begged and pleaded to be able to transfer off our server after the population hit abysmally low on the alliance side. My guild and I stayed, and were probably the last of maybe three guilds that played before we had moved to Thunderfury by guild poll.

We spent months after the launch of TBC trying to stop people from leaving by playing the game and not following the hype train. It failed. Our server went from 35% alliance to WAY less than that in a few weeks. Eventually, there’s nothing you can do and the game is unplayable.

What Blizzard did was the famous move: do nothing. They did that until the server actually had almost nobody on it (Horde or Alliance) and then they said that they felt it wrong to force people to be there.

There were months where Kromcrush was literally dead. They did wait to maximize profitability. There’s no arguing that, whatever your inclination to believe other motive is – simply the people left who wouldn’t transfer either would quit the game, or they could have a chance of stopping that and potentially reviving subscriptions from people who would play again knowing that they had a free realm transfer to another realm.

When you see it first-hand, there is NO MISTAKE that saving the day at the very, very end is about greed.

Nope, you’re wrong. In Krom’s case it was.

Yep, after they realize it is more profitable to do so in these instances.

That’s not the issue, that’s a solution. In fact, I actually suggested this with a megapost months back: How to salvage WoW Burning Crusade Classic (You may notice that Mootwo is also a poster on that thread, which is why I was complimenting him for being a sympathetic human being)

The community is partially to blame, sure.

The community is to blame especially in the case when people are not sympathetic to those who have experienced the end of the stick that warrants complaints, because that gives Blizzard justification to continue to ignore the people because they see examples of people who don’t agree. This isn’t about giving everyone a free transfer, this is about not locking people to dead realms.

The community is also to blame for so quickly jumping ship and moving servers. Once a sizeable chunk of the population does it, it’s kind of too late. The damage is done. MMOs need people.

It’s a temporary solution to a problem that has no actually correct permanent solution. There’s a blue post that goes into this in detail, and I agree with it. There’s no perfect solution nor silver bullet: the problem is hard, but my post above does show you that merging was a suggested solution to the problem.

They’re not going to merge for a long time dude, it’s a reality. Blizzard never makes big changes like this until they realize that they have no choice. It’s a decision making strategy that is in place partially because doing anything always has a side effect. It’s also partially driven by the actual monetization of this frustration. If you choose to not accept that profit is at least a partial motivator, it’s fine. But you’re wrong.

1 Like

Your whole case is speculation.

Literally every MMO has a paid xfer thing.

Heck ff14 is thriving right now and they allow you to pay to skip the story.

You have no data as to why they offered free xfers other than they made enough money or you somehow won the fight lmfao.

Wrong. RuneScape doesn’t have paid transfers because it doesn’t follow this model where you bind your characters to a particular instance of a “realm” or “world”.

It’s not unreasonable to speculate and argue for a conclusion if the basis of the speculation is highly plausible.

If you have any reason to suggest that there isn’t some motive to profits, then perhaps we should ask why the service costs money at all.

2 Likes

But isn’t your case all speculation too?

Free xfers caused several other servers to fall and more xfers to occur. I may be mistaken, but isn’t blizzard even on record saying they should have restricted free xfers? It could just be a coincidence that a lot of realms died and xferred after free transfers.

Could be a coincidence that blizzard made a ton of money off of those destabilized servers, too. If blizzard isnt running enough analytics to see that coming, and it is truly a coincidence, then we should not be defending them for being brain dead

4 Likes

Every MMO that offers xfers has it paid for.

Even EverQuest has paid xfers.

I didn’t play RuneScape.

I deleted my last post because I misunderstood you, and quickly responded with nonsense. Sorry for the blank post.

This is the same thing a gym told me when I asked to cancel my gym membership years back because I had moved. They told me I had to physically go to the gym and cancel my membership, I was not capable of calling up and telling them that I wanted to cancel my membership.

They said that every gym does it that way. Just because all competitors do something does not make it right. That argument should have been shot down as a legitimate argument for most things sometime between middle school and high school, and yet, it still makes its way into excuses as to why x cannot be when there is no better reason available.

The bottom line is, as a business, if you want to display a price for a service, typically there is profit involved. I don’t think it takes them $25.00 USD in power to have a script run on their servers to move some stuff from one database to another.

If you agree that there is profit involved, and you agree that their suggested solution is to pay money, then you also agree that profit is an existing motive. Else, it would not cost.

The player base causes all that back in classic.

“Blizzard please get rid of the 8 hour ques without shard” so they have free xfers then servers got ruined.

“Blizzard please give us restricted xfers”. So they did and people still cried.

There is literally no solution to fix the servers simply because 2 faction games are bad design and are never balanced.

Look how great FF14 is doing and it’s store is waaaaaay worse than WOWs but people don’t talk about that because they are all server clusters. You can pay for a boost to the newest xpac but then you need to also pay to skip the story of all the xpacs you boosted past.

1 Like

Yeah, sure, but what’s your point? I’m asking for the same thing to happen that happened before and made some people able to continue playing the game without paying for it. This shouldn’t be a premium, and any argument here is detracting from the actual point of this post.

I asked for Thunderfury to be open to the same free transfers that were open for numerous other servers who had fallen to low population, not reasons why this is this way.

1 Like