Re-open Classic era cloning

I took a giant break from WOW. I was not following any news or really in the gaming space. Just came back and I missed the whole cloning process. I’ve talked to a bunch of people re-leveling on era and there all asking for the same thing. Just having all my 60’s gone and now said to be deleted is seriously disheartening. I have so much time and effort in those toons. Also have 0 interest in WOTLK. Just hoping maybe they will see this haha. Maybe bring back cloning for Classic era when SOM ends.

88 Likes

Agreed. My friends have toons they’re wishing they could activate in classic era right now, because they came back to wow for the first time since classic era ended due to wotlk… only to find out they can’t use their Classic forever toons :frowning:

27 Likes

Yeah I came back after 3 years and couldn’t transfer so I just restarted fresh. But I only had one 60 to replace.

12 Likes

They ended it when they killed all the dead servers, they even dropped the price to like 7 bunks per.
I did my three and haven’t even played them, but know one day i will.

I think all that data is still copied somewhere, but for them to open that up seems like are a far off thing. Those servers are in some storage place somewhere I bet.

good luck though.

6 Likes

Yeah its strange cause the option is still there. It just say currently unavailable. They could easily enable it when SOM ends and that cloning process starts.

13 Likes

100% agree

13 Likes

Agree, would love to be able to clone my character

15 Likes

Just hoping this will pick up some traction I’ve seen a few posts on re-opening cloning. An they rethink there decision.

13 Likes

You can still jump in and start playing

3 Likes

Im re-leveling a druid for the first time lvl 42. Just rough not having your main for gold and stuff lol

4 Likes

I agree they should reopen era cloning

13 Likes

bump for the views lol

8 Likes

I don’t blame blizzard for wanting a couple bucks, but really sucks to take the option away. My fault for taking a break from playing, but I’ve always been a casual player that always comes back eventually. Guess I’ll just try again with the boost in SoM to level faster and jump to era when it closes

7 Likes

I knew the cloning wasn’t going to be forever. Even I took a 6 month break, and in that time, they decided to close it down. My level 60 Priest is stuck in the void, and I leveled up her enchanting, too. And, I doubt, I’ll be hitting Uldaman, anytime soon LOL

7 Likes

Exactly! I play wow the same way. I get really into for a couple months then I take a break. SOM would be the best way to go man. I have a 57 mage on SOM. But me and my buddies are all lvling on classic ERA.

3 Likes

I feel bad for the OP. I could maybe understand a technical reason to close cloning (I think the amount of data involved was cited once on Twitter by a dev).

But this clearly goes against one of the pillars of Classic WoW, which is the restoration and preservation of Original WoW. Instead of preserving our characters, the default decision was to delete the characters from Classic WoW - and force us to to upgrade and progress to the latest expac.

It kind of makes me ill because I didn’t come back to WoW to play the latest expac for god’s sake.

13 Likes

I’m all for the cloning service to return but preservation of the Old World and preservation of inactive characters are two different things. I also think they mishandeled the service by not even sending out an email notification prior to its retirement.

11 Likes

TLDR:

1.) Adding my reply to the chain to garner attention from Blizzard.
2.) Does anyone have a recommendation for a server in WoW Classic that is not dead?

I agree completely with pretty much everything said here. I am adding my voice with the hope that this gets bumped up to garner some attention.

When I first played WoW, I enjoyed it until the end of WotLK when the experience became too toxic with cross-realm servers and lack of respect from people who forgot that this is a game, so I quit for over six years.

I rejoined and started leveling a character shortly after WoW Classic was introduced, and for a brief time I got to relive the adventure and satisfied my nostalgia, but had to take a looooong break from the game for personal reasons.

Now, roughly three years later, I wanted to give it another shot. I logged on a week ago, and discovered that I cannot access my WoW Classic character. I thought that I would suck it up and just level a new character, and I did, only to discover before level 20 that there are not enough people on the server to run an instance, which is one of the best parts of WoW, in my honest opinion.

Bloodsail Buccaneers has maybe 50 people in total, and while every interaction I have had with people here has been great, I just want to be able to run an instance, and there simply are not enough people near my level for critical mass.

So now it looks like my best solution is to transfer to another realm, and I hope that I can transfer both my old (currently unplayable) character, as well as my new one to another WoW Classic server.

If anyone has any advice, I am all ears. Thank you for hearing me out, and I hope that Blizzard re-opens Classic era cloning.

8 Likes

Bump reenable cloning, costs nothing to keep it open

8 Likes

Most of the Era realms were connected with others that share their server type and region. RP realms were exempted from these connections. In addition to these realm connections, Blizzard set up two realms to receive free transfers: Mankrik for PvE (NA East) and Whitemane for PvP (NA West). I play on one of the PvP clusters in the East that holds together the realms Benediction, Faerlina, Heartseeker, Incendius, and Netherwind. Its a small community but our guild has levelers doing dungeons in all ranges.

My advice for anyone looking for a place to play is to roll a level 1 on any prospective realm and chat with the locals to get a better idea of the server’s community/culture.

3 Likes