Raid cinematic is out

video games have story, why are you here? I mean you dont have to be in the STORY fourms you know, go hang out in general or the class fourms and talk about numbers and stuff

3 Likes

Okay but why does Sylv get to be a misunderstood hero, but Garry needs to be gutted permanently :confused:

2 Likes

Agreed, which is why this:

caused everyone’s eyes to roll out of their head

3 Likes

“Ni droite, ni gauche, L’idéologie Sylvaniste en Blizzard”?

Yes I know that doesnt mean everyone here needs to jump down in the mud with him, just makes you all look kind of dumb if you ask me

1 Like

We’re posting on the WoW story forum in 2021 at 4 in the morning on a weeknight. All of us are irredeemably dumb.

3 Likes

true, but I dunno he has a right to be upset in a way, blizzard hasnt written this genocide well, they probably should have never called it they if they where gonna joke about it, and redeemed sylvanas, if they never said the word genocide, the fourms would be a different place

8 Likes

I doubt it. Questions of genocide are as old as the WoW forums themselves. The concept was being thrown around constantly by the players, Blizzard didn’t need to officially introduce the concept for it to find footing because it was already here.

1 Like

Yup. If Blizzard wants to insist they’re writing a complex serious story, and I’ll judge them as such until they admit they are dumb and just writing a dumb basic story and don’t have the range.

13 Likes

it’d be footing without anything to stand on, we dont have pop numbers, teld would have been another mass murder, everyone would be mad, but no one would have this whole, genocide is ok if you are very sorry about it fear going on.

Play-as-teaching is done through repetition, in the same way that exercising makes you more fit except it’s your brain muscles that are being worked on. I spent much time in elementary school playing Mavis Beacon and by the time I was in high school I was doing typing competitions at the state level. The lesson I learned was how to be a better typer, the same way that World of Warcraft teaches people how to do their rotation of spells.

Not all of them.

and this one does, so whats your point

4 Likes

And what is the role of the story in a game within play-as-teaching theory?

What is the purpose of the “magic circle” when engaging with a videogame? What are you “summoning” and taking away from the “ritual space”?

I get that, although maybe I’ve just made peace with it because Blizzard has presented genocides in their games before, they simply didn’t call them genocides even though you don’t need to be a genius to recognize them as such. The only games Blizzard has ever made that haven’t featured at least one genocide are The Lost Vikings and Rock and Roll Racing.

Warcraft 1 and Warcraft 3 in particular not only featured genocides, but genocides that the player actually executed and got away with in the end. So the mere presence of a genocide, to me, isn’t really the same in terms of active participation in contemporary political debate as it is for others. It’s just Blizzard being edgy and extreme in the same sense that Warhammer is. They aren’t and never were trying to make some kind of statement as to justifying genocides or whatever, and while it can certainly be interpreted that way if someone wishes to, I think that they are ascribing motives to Blizzard that aren’t there.

And I say this as someone who watched the cinematic in the OP and laughed out loud IRL at how ridiculous Sylvanas is in it.

1 Like

and before all them where straight up villians, theres no guldan redemption tease or arc

3 Likes

side note lets take a moment to gaze upon Beta Testing Bimbovanas, AU where this was what went live

Yeah, and I agree that it’s a ridiculous double standard that Sylvanas gets to have redemption teases or sympathetic treatment while other villains didn’t.

But I think that’s partly because of the players themselves, a minority of which for whatever reason decided that Sylvanas wasn’t a villain. Probably because Sylvanas, and the Forsaken faction that she led, were always a colossal and unsustainable narrative contradiction with no clear direction that were constrained in a way that no other actor in WoW was by the fact that they’re a playable faction.

A lot of people’s big complaints about BfA and Shadowlands is that Sylvanas and the Forsaken’s storyline is a giant dumpster fire, and that’s true, but it’s always been a giant dumpster fire. BfA is just the first time it’s been center stage for everyone to see instead of just kind of simmering behind the curtain.

What is yours?

It depends on the game, but for World of Warcraft the role of the story is side dressing. The gameplay is a cheeseburger and the story is fries. Any lessons taken from the story are less prioritized from those of the gameplay. In this case, lessons taken from the story are more likely to be unintentional. This is different for narrative focused games though, such as those from Telltale or Quantic Dream, since the priority for those companies is story.

As an MMO, players summon group gameplay and are given a social experience as a result. As an RPG, players summon a character with abilities they pick and are given different forms of gameplay as a result.

btw you know that’s telling?

This video is unlisted on the World of Warcraft Youtube channel. It’s as if they knew it was going to get raito-ed hard.

3 Likes

Hanlon’s Razor; ‘Never attribute to Malice that which can be adequately explained by Stupidity’.

6 Likes