Question regarding Bans and TOS?

If the player was banned for an inappropriate name, then that means their name was inappropriate and they failed with the renaming it when it would’ve just been a name change.

Especially when the name they said in the opening post was highly inappropriate.

2 Likes

Or you never logged onto it so people can’t report it.

Naming

Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard’s decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.

Penalties

In most cases, a player will receive a warning about the offending name and will be assigned a randomly generated temporary name. A message will be sent to the account’s registered email address with instructions on how to change the temporary name to one of the player’s choosing. In guild name violations, the message will be sent to the guild leader.

In some cases, violating this policy may result in action being taken against a WoW game account.

1 Like

So you think it’s wrong that Blizzard GM’s decide that a name is inappropriate after it’s reported for whatever reason?

Or do you think it’s wrong that it was reported?

Really not a good idea to troll the forums, especially this one.

5 Likes

Why do you care so much if someone feels a name is report worthy?

That would be ignorant to think it may not affect anyone.

Nothing to do with that. You came here derailing the thread with your nonsense. Yes, I reported you posts too, as did others.

Grow up.

7 Likes

Does it seriously matter who it effects? Blizzard took action against the player and the name because it was in violation of the In-Game Code of Conduct.

The naming policy has not changed. You do not get to attempt in creating a name to bypass the naming policy or the In-Game Code of Conduct.

3 Likes

Trolling, same as the others.

7 Likes

If you don’t think the name isn’t offensive you have some issues to sort out.

Within a group of mates at a pub, not a problem.

In a game rated T for Teen and with younger children also playing. It’s an issue.

And frankly, Blizzard agrees no matter what you think about those who reported it.

6 Likes

You do not know who flagged you, nor you get to decide if it is abusing the reporting option.

Anyways, since you have kindly asked for it, here you go.

Spamming or Trolling

This category includes:

• Excessively communicating the same phrase, similar phrases, or pure gibberish
  • Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums
  • Causing disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making off topic posts that ruin the thread, insulting other posters
  • Making non-constructive posts
  • Abusing the Reported Post feature by sending false alarms or nonsensical messages
  • Numbering a thread, IBTL, TLDR, or any other fad statements

If a player is found to have participated in such actions, they will:

• Be given a temporary or permanent ban from the forums, depending upon severity

You’re on the most heavily moderated section of the World of Warcraft Forums, this would be the last place you’d want to be breaching the Forum Code of Conduct, let alone, trolling.

7 Likes

I’ll never understand people that say things like ‘this conversation is over’, then keep right on conversing.

7 Likes

Don’t bother. You’re not going to change his mind, he’s spending minimal energy on this and you’re spending a lot.

Ultimately his viewpoint is that people can do whatever people want with regard to names, irrespective of the rules; repeating more rules to him isn’t going to go anywhere, as he’s already decided to ignore them.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ll let Vrakthis or Orlyia deal with it when they start work.

you think to hard bruv lmao this isnt sherlock holmes

Depending on the severity of the name, can lead to actions without warnings too, though I can’t confirm, I’m not Blizzard. As for who reported, it is highly best not to think of who reported, but rather think what not to do next time.

Honestly, the only option is to let the suspension blow through, and when it ends, don’t name it something that is inapropiate.

All suspensions are done manually. Nothing is done automatically.

5 Likes

There are no automatic suspensions. A GM had to have looked at your case.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of a first time naming violation on an action-free account causing a ban. Generally, it starts with a name change and escalates from there. But the history of the account is taken into account as well. Account actions do not ever drop off, and penalties stack. We don’t know the history of your account so all anyone here can do is speculate.

1 Like

im just very curious that i wasnt given a warning as per the guidelines (not rules but guidelines), and i am COMPLETELY willing to change my name. I have had this name for years. My area that i dont understand is why it went DIRECTLY to the ban. I obviously know what not to do in the future, and to me HONESTLY it wasnt offensive, and wasnt directed at anyone but i understand just stick to basic names. Everyone has different levels of comfort and I need to cater to it. I would have got that same message from a name change though. I would have even made a ticket to review some of my other names just to be sure. Hell, i dont even mind PAYING for a name change. I just really dont get how the ban was decided, or how its fair on a first offence.

ive never once had someone tell me my name is bad, and people have actually thought it was really funny in the past. I had no reason to believe i was offending anyone.

The guidelines does not say you have to receive a warning.

Within the naming policy, does say, “In most cases.”

Doesn’t matter if a player likes your name or not, your name did violate the In-Game Code of Conduct, and action was taken against it.

1 Like

I suspect that there is some kind of account history that we’re being told about. Usually for things, we aren’t being given the entire story.

1 Like

Yeah, I believe there is more to the entire story than what the Opening Poster is admitting too.

thats why i said guide lines. Guidelines are changed, look i get your on the offensive about this and just want to say the same thing over and over, but that doesnt even answer my original question. At face value im wondering what the threshhold is in regards to rename. Instead of sitting here trying to pick apart sentences id love to hear the info on the thresh hold. I get that the name breaks the TOS. I dont think you have read previous messages… I get no one has to tell me my name is bad. You are picking out 1 or 2 things in my response that dont pertain to the question at hand.