Question about Account penalties

They weren’t available then, and they are now. That being said, third-party leveling and gold services for money have ALWAYS been against Terms of Service, and still some players try to use that. Just because a better way (that wasn’t doing it yourself) wasn’t available back then, doesn’t make it excusable.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, Charlemurphy, I don’t really see it. You can make other comparisons to things that are available legally today that weren’t before. It doesn’t make the purchase from before things shifted any less against the rules.

Well yes, that is what following the rules is all about. Regardless of what you want to do you avoid actively violating the established and well documented rules and play the game like everyone else has to.

Now there are other options, but that doesn’t negate the fact that rules were broken and consequences earned.

Will that change some day? I can’t say, but that isn’t up to CS. If you’d like to see a change to how older policy violations are treated you’ll want to submit your suggestion in-game through the help menu or posting in a Community forum like General Discussion.

4 Likes

On the contrary, all opinions matter. The problem arises when one thinks that their opinion is the only one that should matter.

8 Likes

The penalty itself was correct for its time, which I think makes a pretty big difference. I could see there being cause for changing a penalty afterward if it was really close to the time when the rules changed, but that would be a large if.

2 Likes

Eh, in the obvious situation, its my opinion and blizzards that matters.

That’s not how it works, I’m afraid. The only opinion that matters in matters such as these is Blizzard’s.

That’s not to say that you can utilize the forums to voice said opinion where the developers might see it and potentially be swayed, but that isn’t this particular forum, and it’s best to always just drop your note and sometimes forget about it. There’s no guarantee that your suggestion to policy changes will happen.

2 Likes

Lol, so you agree with my original statement than

No, actually, I don’t. There are some things that I don’t believe in second chances for. But again, if Blizzard decides otherwise, it’s their decision, not mine.

3 Likes

I’m saying that I said my opinion doesn’t matter. You said it does matter and its only a problem if i believe that my opinion is the only one that matters. Then you said Blizzard’s opinion is the only opinion that matters in these situations which is what I was inferring when I said my opinion didn’t matter.

Then I apologize, because that’s not at all how your wording made it sound to me.

2 Likes

No worries. On another note, how do you quote a post? This new forum layout seems more clean but when I click the quote button in my reply I dont know how to choose a post to reference.

Highlight the text you want to quote, and the little Quote option will show up next to it! Super handy.

4 Likes

ahhhh, that is very easy. Awesome. I appreciate your help.

5 Likes

Any time. You can even quote partial posts like that.

2 Likes

Won’t you call it greed on blizz side ? You are simply allowing certain players to manipulate economy and leveling up of toons .all that for few more dollars .
I can understand if you can’t answer that .as you are bound by agreement that you signed up with blizz that might prevent you from saying .
But I have great respect for customer service employees. Most of whom have got axed cuz developers made bad decisions for game .instead of firing them(developers) .normal employees are getting fired who are not in decision making .
Sad day and reality of the world we live in

You do realise that nearly every single company that provides a service will offer value added options right?

Greed would be making those additional services essential. Thankfully boosting and token purchasing isn’t.

4 Likes

What? I’m not sure what you are talking about here. This thread is about an account that was banned 10 years ago. How can they manipulate the economy now?

You are only speculating that it’s only Customer Service employees that were made redundant. Unless you were one of them you don’t have a stake in this.

It is. When a player can bad-mouth a company about business decisions the player has little knowledge about. That’s the reality of the world we live in. If a player were really interested in letting the business know their opinion of the decision, they would write to the business itself and the people involved instead of ranting on a player-helping-player forum where it wouldn’t be seen by them. Bad-mouthing a business on their forums isn’t edgy, it’s lame.

4 Likes

No, I won’t. Not because I am bound from doing so or otherwise directed to spout a scripted narrative, but because I don’t agree with that assessment. Let me try to give a little insight into this if I can and I’ll break it down between the Character Boost and the WoW Token.

Some players may recall an old promotion called the Scroll of Resurrection. It allowed an existing player to send an invite to someone who used to play WoW but had stopped, for whatever reason. We found that as we released expansions and the level cap grew, players who were interested in playing again found the prospect of trying to catch up to their friends daunting. With the Scroll promotion we provided the returning player with a boost to one of their characters so they could jump back into the game and play (also giving the sending player an incentive in the form of a mount).

The promotion was hugely popular and helped returning players jump back in. What of those who never played but wanted to join their friends in Azeroth though? We eventually created the Character Boost, which addressed the major hurdle to both new and returning players and allowed them to join their friends at the beginning of an expansion.

Yes, the promotion and the introduction of the Character Boost (which was included for free with the current expansion) was a source of revenue, but much of the reason for their creation was to fill a need that would hopefully benefit the overall health of the game. For all of our character services we tend to settle on a price that makes it available but not so available that it is likely to be utilized without serious consideration (which is why the boost is available with the current expansion but extra boosts have a cost).

As for the WoW Token, it was simply a way to help address the very real problem of gold selling services. With a game as popular as WoW the market has always been too attractive for gold sellers to ignore, it is a billion dollar industry. We have a lot of different preventative measures in place as well as active investigations that try to deal with it, but as long as there is a market for it the prospect of removing it entirely is impossible. Those services often facilitated account compromises though, so as means of helping counter what is out there, we created the WoW Token. This was to help people who had a lot of gold but not much in the way of money to buy game time/battle.net balance, and those who had money but no time to exchange it for gold, safely.

I’m sorry, Meowlena, while I am not at liberty to discuss recent events, you appear to be misinformed regarding our CS staffing. The reduction in force that we experienced took place back in 2012.

9 Likes

Yeah… that’s very wrong. Assuming you’re referring to the recent bout of layoffs, which were ordered by Activision Blizzard (which is not the same thing as Activision, which refers to Activision Publishing, or Blizzard) with an already publicly made reason, which would’ve been contributed to by a couple things, and WoW’s devs making decisions you didn’t like aren’t among those things.

4 Likes