Upcoming Tank Tuning - March 30

Recently, players observed that Vengeance Demon Hunters seemed to be receiving up to 15% less magic damage than expected. We have investigated and found the bug causing this.

When a specialization is overperforming in raid and dungeon content, we prefer to wait to rein them in until the next major patch that brings with it all-new challenges, different gear, and other changes that shake up balance. This is because even if we’re improving overall balance, mid-tier nerfs can cause entire groups to potentially struggle with raid or dungeon content they could previously complete without issue, and this is especially true for the tank role.

However, because of the magnitude of the bug, combined with extensive feedback about the current strength of Vengeance relative to other tank classes, we feel that we need to act quickly. We therefore plan to fix this bug during scheduled weekly maintenance next week (March 30 in this region). To reduce the impact to Vengeance tanks and their groups, we plan to make an additional change to offset the bug fix. We also want to address feedback that we’ve heard about overall tank survivability in Shadowlands, especially in Mythic Keystone dungeons.

With the fix to the Vengeance Demon Hunter bug, we will increase the Vengeance Demon Hunter passive, Demonic Wards, by 5%. In most situations, Physical damage constitutes most of the damage suffered by tanks, so the result should be a manageable increase in the total damage taken by Vengeance tanks. We will also adjust all other tank specializations’ passives (such as Veteran of the Third War for Blood Death Knights) to add an effect that reduces overall damage taken by 10%. Our aim is to improve tank durability for all tanks.

We appreciate the community bringing this issue to our attention, and thank you in advance for your feedback on these changes.

48 Likes

Seems good. Nerf to VDH and buff for all tanks including VDH.

21 Likes

Interesting! I must say, I appreciate the effort to balance Tanks as a whole, looking forward to that update. :grin:

1 Like

so that took ~5 months to notice? nice heh

48 Likes

I mean we’re in beta. Wait until release please.

47 Likes

Wow 10 percent flat damage reduction for all tanks that are not DH?
Am I reading that correctly!?
That seems wild honestly.

13 Likes

it’s almost like there’s months of testing for these sorts of things.

16 Likes

It’s almost like we’ve been complaining about this for 5 months!

Now fix your pricing and bring back the 30 and 90 day game time options.

11 Likes

I’m super happy it might mean an end to the kiting meta.

8 Likes

Sweet! I’ve been enjoying my bdk (still level 54), and now hopefully they’ll be more wanted in groups as well.

Might have my new main for 9.1 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How did beta testers and internal testing miss a 15%(!!!) damage mitigation error?

Also, the buff to tanks is interesting in of itself. Dont make m+ so difficult and you wont have as many tuning problems, Bliz.

Imo, a clean pull should be the tough part.

5 Likes

My bear was already unkillable, so now i’m 10% extra unkillable?

7 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if beta testers intentionally ignore OP bugs so they can exploit them later.

17 Likes

I doubt tank survivability issues were “missed.” I’m confident the current state of affairs was intended given how many months have gone by with no changes. There must be data showing some kind of unprecedented drop in tank participation and they want to stop the bleeding even if it requires compromising their vision. I imagine this means the next real content patch is a long long way off.

14 Likes

Right, I feel the same way about my DK honestly, outside of progression fort keys.
I do not feel like I should ever die anywhere, so I do not know where a 10 percent damage reduction is warranted.
But I wont be turning it down!

3 Likes

I’ll take 10% damage reduction.

Honestly, at this point I think I’m going to start running a DPS trinket like Phial of Putrification because double tank trinkets seem unneeded now.

Is that damage reduction also going to work in PvP? Tanks are balanced to take increased damage there for a reason.

2 Likes

does the 10% phys reduction include vdh?

2 Likes

I can see the logic of this.

6 Likes

Low dps gg