Why do imbalanced things remain so long?

AoTC and made my way into 20 keys in BfA as Feral, 100% PuG.

And they were in a lot worse state than they are now.

I think dont think they care as much about returning players as they do about attracting new ones. They have a limited budget, and would rather put their resources into making the game most appealing to new players.

That is my theory anyhow.

Was this before or after Corruptions let us steamroll things?

Then why have you only done 12/13s this xpac if you had the ability to do 20s. That tells me it was late 9.3 with full corruption where 20s where technically as challenging as 15s at the start of 9.3

Crap, Blizz mentioned somewhere recently why, but I’ve forgotten where. I believe it was the first wave of balancing changes. I believe what they said was (paraphrasing) “So we don’t disrupt teams comps”, don’t take that as verbatim gospel I could have it a bit wrong, I’ll see if I can find the correct wording.

That’s pretty much why they said it.

we prefer to wait to rein them in until the next major patch that brings with it all-new challenges, different gear, and other changes that shake up balance. This is because even if we’re improving overall balance, mid-tier nerfs can cause entire groups to potentially struggle with raid or dungeon content they could previously complete without issue, and this is especially true for the tank role.

From here: Upcoming Tank Tuning - March 30

(It was more specific to the tank roles, but it does cover everyone)

1 Like

Thanks Knotty :smiley: Saved me minutes of Googling lol

1 Like

I remember seeing it somewhere and it would cause me to stay up all night if I didn’t find it :joy:

Although that begs the question, why not raise up underperformers to the overperformer’s level?

That was my first thought after I recalled what they said. Simply buffing the lowest performing classes just enough to put them in line with mid tier specs should be fine I’d think. The only guess I have as to why you wouldn’t want to do this is if they were going to do some pretty big changes and the extra work isn’t worth it.

Hmm… Interesting. Team comps, huh? That is lame. I mean, you can rationalize laziness or a myopic viewpoint any way you like. To me, it is laziness. Such an excuse is bogus.

I don’t mean to justify Blizz’s choices, I’m just providing the answers they’ve given

Ya and I for sure get where they are coming from. But there’s no denying it is the same specs over and over in the limelight and others that have never had their turn.

Again with mistweaver, why would you ever bring one to anything. Brewmasters for raid progression are typically always a solid pick which provides you with the only monk benefit of the 5% melee buff. Mistweaver literally has no CD or niche that will ever make them a better choice than a shaman with spirit link, devo aura from pally, etc. It’s not just a skill balancing thing, there’s some specs that literally need a complete rework to ever even attempt to find themselves in the meta. And blizz just refuses to ever acknowledge that. So it’s not a patch to patch tuning issue when there’s certain aspects that have been that way for years on end

Time and again, they try to lock people into characters by making expansion features very alt-unfriendly. It never occurred to them they could devalue alts by regularly addressing problems. If classes were constantly being buffed and nerfed and tweaked and cratered then rerolling to the fotm would die. Everyone would just ride out the wave.

Oh I am in no way agreeing what they said, I just wanted to find the quote. I agree that they should do more frequent balance changes. To play devil’s advocate, mistweaver is apparently really good on sunking since they can pump single target healing but I think people still prefer shaman.

Oh, no. Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

As for the game devs, I think is it very myopic, and that long term it is a mistake. And I further think they should make a serious effort at balancing as soon as possible–ideally before new content is even introduced.

1 Like

I think if they want to lock people into their class choice with grind systems, yet tune the game the way the do where you’re forced to meta slave to actually play content then they need to make stuff like rep, covenant progress, honor level, currencies, etc. become account wide.

Why should I lose all progress on non transferable stuff on a character that I spend months/years farming, because blizzard can’t balance the game properly.

There’s probably not a single person in here not playing a meta spec that can say they don’t get declined constantly to content because those groups are looking for a meta class. You shouldn’t be punished for that.

For me I main blood dk, the #1 blood dk in the worlds highest key is a 24… #1 DH tank is a 27… if you take the key scaling into effect, that is a 141% scaling
increase between a 24 and a 27. If anyone thinks a 141% difficulty difference between tanks isn’t a massive balancing failure than I’d love to hear their argument

I think its mostly cause of how they do their patches.

They tend to do tons of balance changes when a patch comes out.

Therefore yea its slow, but I guess it does allow for more thought into the changes

Easy answer.

Blizz DOES NOT CARE!!

Why would they waste time and resources and money on something that’s not going to make them more money.

So let’s make another mount we can sell

They care about your two month SUB. Other then that.

THEY DON’T CARE

THEY DON’T GIVE TWO $%^&

But if it allows for more thought for the changes then why every single patch is there at least 1 or more classes that are so far ahead of others.

Like I said 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 of BFA, prot warriors ran the show. All of BFA resto druids ran the show. Rogues and mages are almost always meta, when was the last time warlocks were meta in m+ over a mage?

Yes they do a lot of changes for new patches but most of the time what’s meta stays meta, and if it doesn’t then something else completely broken takes it’s place. There’s always specs that are just never going to compete.

Where is their data over the last few years for the same bottom feeding specs that haven’t left the basement?

It would be an easier pill to swallow if you’re slightly behind the fotm specs but know your turn will eventually come and you just stick with your main. The problem is that time never comes and never will for certain specs

And to the post above this. They should care… because when people get declined for hours on end to groups and lose interest in playing cause of it blizz won’t be getting their sub money anymore.

If you are not meta, you spend a lot of time sitting on your hands waiting for invites in m+. If you are not meta your raid spot it at risk.

Assuming you don’t care for M+ or raiding, then, sure. It does not matter because you won’t quit the game because of a problem with access to content. But if you do want to raid and run m+, then when you don’t get invites or have a raid spot, then does that help or hurt your chances of continuing your sub?

It’s pretty simple really. Do the math.