Parsing in Classic is a problem because it divides the community

Healing parses are more memes than dps ones, though many bosses have meme parse strats for dps too.

1 Like

Exactly the point of the video.

1 Like

I can’t speak to your server but I see plenty of groups that you can get into without logs on Pagle. They might have a GS requirement but for the most part that’s not out of line for raiding.

H+ has created it’s own problems though… but that’s due to blizzard’s poor design choices there.

Yeah, I don’t have a problem with GS requirements unless they expect people to outgear the content. As I’m in a raiding guild this doesn’t affect me personally now, but I sure had a rough time in TBC.

The issue with parsing is that they are viewed as a rating of your skill but player skill is far down the list of the things that make most parses good. I have a friend who is an insanely geared troll fire mage and he has gotten a 99 without his monitor turned on, on ignis. He just pressed escape when he heared the dbm honking and pressed pyroblast when he heard the hot streak noise lol

1 Like

I’ll keep this in mind the next time a certain mage here on the forums starts bragging about his parses. :joy:

My best maexxna performance ever (a 99.59 parse) I actually froze for like 10 seconds and continued spamming my mutilate + envenom button and my game sped up like 10x and all the buttons went off randomly, just i had 8 unholy dks in the run with me and maexxna died before she did her first web spray, highly skilled parsing by the people who weren’t me

I’m not super interested in watching that video, but I will say that the problem isn’t with players parsing–it’s with them putting too much value in their parses. However, I can’t stand the complaints against parsing because it leads to BS like FF14 where they don’t want to support/allow it because some people can’t keep up or have thin skin about it while the rest of us just want to use it to measure our performance and improve.

1 Like

Funny you mention unholy DKs, because that’s my main for Wrath. There are 3 versions of unholy: 2h scourge strike, DW scourge strike, and DW morb. All are lumped together in WCL despite doing different amounts of DPS. I play 2h scourge strike, the traditional build from OG Wrath but also the lowest DPS. If I’m doing 8k DPS, a DW unholy is doing 10k. Because of this my parses are garbage. Wowhead doesn’t even show a 2h unholy build anymore. Back in OG Wrath only frost was considered the DW spec, and I got a lot of grief when I tried to play DW unholy.

1 Like

This is not new to classic. This happened in Retail Wrath too.

2 Likes

i have garbage parses but idc i try my best every boss (even though I die on vezax every week)

3 Likes

But it was negated with the introduction of RDF, which allowed us to farm heroics for badge gear to pump up our GS.

I wouldn’t say it negated it, but it at least gave another path. Sweats gonna sweat. Nothing new about that.

1 Like

So you intentionally gimp your raid. Yikes.

When context is brought into a parsing argument, it changes things.

If you’re ranking is a 2 by item level…it matters.

If you’re a 60, it doesn’t matter.

Parse culture is great if used properly.

1 Like

2h unholy was just fine in OG WotLK, and it’s just fine now.

2 Likes

ilvl parses are also nonsense. Especially if you have a very high or very low ilvl and are being compared against 20 other people

1 Like

Why though? Just curious. This reminds me of deep prot in vanilla classic, which I actually saw no one playing at all

is it more a fun/satisfying rotation? I have not tried DK yet

Parsing is useful and is a good thing for people to push generally. Yes it can become toxic and it doesn’t tell everything but you can easily filter out some people with their parses (and that is even told in the video). And fights often become easier with more dps, which is also why people will even class stack at a high level.

I think people that are against parsing are just generally not understanding the min/max mentality (or against it) and what is the point to do so. And that maybe you’re not in the right guild if you’re in a group that care about that and that you don’t.

The video also take the example of yogg saron immortal guardian, doing damage on them as long as they’re in range will reduce the damage your tank takes and if your tank is running out with them he will be outside of range of the group anyway.

I think what bring more success to a raid is arguable as zerg strats require more dps and are often easier to execute and will also make it easier on your healers if bosses die quicker like Thorim. But I think saying parse don’t matter is just not understanding what they mean. Sure, the difference between a 90 parse and a 100 parse might not be huge in term of player skill. But if you’re doing under 60 you often played badly and did mistakes.

Yes but that’s a target dummy boss.

Let’s see him turn his monitor off on Alg or any boss that isn’t a target dummy.

Doesn’t need to even be a fire mage on Ignis, literally everyone can target the boss and spam their rotation with their monitor off.

To me this sums up classic vanilla raiding as it was mostly target dummies.