Parsing in Classic is a problem because it divides the community

Yes but declining someone based on gs or logs does not make someone a jerk.

2 Likes

Can you clarify what you mean by optimal game play isn’t fun?

Optimal gameplay to me is researching your class, making sure you’re gemmed/enchanted appropriately, specced appropriately, and know your rotation to perform well. I understand the want to play what you find fun, and if you have a guild that allows non-optimal spec, then that’s great, however personally I’d feel I was just griefing 24 other people if I was playing something other than optimal.

Plus, an optimal raid group = fast boss clears = more loot for everyone.

Edit - personally I’ve never been that fussed on my own personal parse, that’s why I play a healer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

parsing IS fun for me. you can’t say its not fun. its not fun for you.

4 Likes

I’m not interested in rushing any content. I’d rather take my time and have a clean run through a raid or dungeon than try to save 30 seconds here and there by skipping a patrol.

Using cookie cutter specs and BiS lists is a major reason why Retail is what it is.

Max honor per hour ruined battlegrounds.

Max gold per hour encouraged folks to exploit verious mechanics and trashed the economy.

I could go on… But all this meta crap trashed the game. The play styles are not engaging.

9 Likes

This is Wrath of the Lich King, not mythic raiding in Retail. Perfect meta comps aren’t required to do the raids. You’re not griefing by playing a non meta spec.

5 Likes

I like tracking my parses personally, otherwise I just care about if I did the mechanics right and executed my rotation to the best of my ability. This is enough to kill a boss or push progress.

Parses to me are only really fun to play with when the content is on farm.

4 Likes

I would say it really depends on the situation what you’re doing Are there points in time Where that can be OK? Yeah if you don’t even have pre raid bis.

And you’re trying to do Ulduar 10 or 25 Yeah sure ye I would say you’re fine however what I am seeing is You do not need 2k Gear score to do heroics.

The content that’s People need to do two gear up to do raids If people Can’t do that content and they expect them to have gear better than the content they’re trying to.

They’re just stopped And again that’s what’s going to cause people to want to quit and leave It’s that simple You need to do heroics to raids Normally naxx Is an exception not the rule.

You need naxx to Ulduar And so on that’s how gear progression works You have to start somewhere I mean what you just expect people to be 80 And somehow have full naxx bis ?

I would ask you how That’s literally not how the game works No if blizzard We’re to implement some outside gearing In the open world You would have an argument however I’m pretty sure nobody wants that ?

3 Likes

That’s really the best reason to care about parses.

2 Likes

I pretty much agree with all of this, tbh.

Sure, it’s not required. Fully aware. But I’m in a guild that does focus on having a good comp to make the raids as smooth as possible. I chose that environment, and I enjoy it, and we are 53/54 with Yogg-0 starting this week, and about to start our second Val’anyr (28/30 shards on the first). That’s fun to me.

There’s levels to the game and different ways to play, none are incorrect, but it is incorrect for people at different levels to say the others are wrong.

Casuals shouldn’t scoff at the sweaty 99 parse server first raiders. Those sweaty raiders shouldn’t gatekeep casuals (but they don’t have to invite them to their groups either). I like to optimise, do what is “meta” because it’s fun to me and makes me feel I’m contributing to a group goal.

WoW is still a social game for me, I put the raid performance ahead of my own personal performance. That’s why I’m the one farming Crystal Yields during the week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The scoffing of casuals usually comes from being shot down by the sweaties.

It’s a big game. We should all share it openly.

3 Likes

But it sure does help clear the content way easier and efficient when you do.

Well there’s not playing the perfect meta and then there’s people who are just playing poorly. And I see a lot of people who get called out for playing poorly, like standing in the bad stuff, claim they’re being called out for not following the meta.

4 Likes

Poor players are nothing new, but the obsession with parsing is new to Classic. At least those players got into a group and had a chance to prove themselves. There are many who can’t get into a group in the first place because of parse and GS obsession.

4 Likes

parsing gets too much hate imo. long as the boss dies who cares? Get those big nums

4 Likes

For good reason. Why do you think so many in the Classic forums post on alts? Can’t post anything on your main without some troll running to WCL to rip apart your logs.

5 Likes

true. but maybe the people “parse bashing” on forum have no competitive outlet besides wow pve.

All the big parsers i know in-game aren’t bashing on forums

1 Like

That’s just it, PVE isn’t supposed to be competitive. If you want competition in WoW, go PVP.

1 Like

incoming “pvp is an unbalanced mess!” post in 3…2…1…

2 Likes

True, but my point still stands.

not arguin just see that excuse brought up so much. yet 70% of the forum is people crying about pve balance

What opened my eyes to parsing was Lurker in SSC. The top heal parses had a warlock life tapping, while drowning, while in boiling water. then they just pumped heals on him. That to me is clever and funny but pointless

3 Likes