Pandaren Summit

I’m sorry, but it seems you are ignoring my own arguments for the sake of supporting your position. I specifically argued with that point stating that this isn’t just about the ease of creating new pandaren, but the inconsistency it has with baseline pandaren culture in the lore, and have provided various arguments since surrounding that.

Just because something has been done one way for a long while, doesn’t mean it’s necessarily good or right. Secondly, this isn’t about creating a new event, this is about this event. I’m not ignoring that I can’t just create a new event, but it is disingeneous to frame that as an alternative when we all know that organizing new events isn’t easy or a simple alternative. That’s why there’s so much investment in this event. Especially so when it is labelled as “Pandaren Summit” and hence implies the voice of all pandaren roleplayers.

I do not disagree with Wuvvums being an excellent event-creator and organizer. I’m certain that anyone who has been able to bring so many pandaren to an event is a solid event organizer. I don’t mean to offend them either, and she was not in the center of my argument at all. My disagreement is with this one aspect of the event, and not her.

I feel like you are really getting upset and offended over an event that hasn’t been created cause you may or may not be able to bring your non Pandaren to it. We haven’t even made an event or even know if there will be one yet. Maybe relax and take a deep breath and when that time comes talk to the organizer and see what they say.

8 Likes

I think this was already addressed as an OOC concern, though, right? This isn’t about any kind of IC prejudice or something.

I don’t want to sound demeaning, but I think you’re reading too much into this. There’s no “right” or “wrong” here, it’s just an RP event. There’s plenty of reason to create an event all your own – almost everyone of whom agrees or even disagrees with you would gladly attend, if my read is correct – without changing one that exists. This is kind of our way to “take stock” of our community. We’re a fraction of a much, much larger whole and this places the whole concept at risk.

4 Likes

On a positive note, it’s good to see all you Pandaren in this thread. I feel like I never see very many of you out in the wild and I say that as a Gnome.

7 Likes

Ditto! Gnomes are my favorite Alliance race and were my mains prior to Mists, wanna see more! :bearded_person:

1 Like

Honestly and I say this without any disrespect to you now I know where you’re coming from: I just don’t have the time.

All your points originate from the idea that Pandaren culture is monolithic(which to a degree it is) while also dismissing the organic interactions that happen between characters, guilds, communities and so forth on this server that have cultivated this one particular event, over the course of now three expansions, to be what it is. And there’s a part of me that can see you have some validity to your points, at least in that there is a possibility that someone could see the exclusion of other races as a negative. I myself am fine with that.

Google “Pandaren Summit”. Excluding the threads that are now gone because of deletion from the old forums, you’ll see that even when non-pandaren attend, the only rules that are strictly enforced is limiting the spam of chat/emotes during speaker events and respecting(at least OOCLY :wink:) the people present. If non-pandaren show up 99% of the time nothing happens to them in reality. And the extreme few who did show up didn’t disrupt the gathering and so were tolerated.

Except when that Mogu RPer popped in but that’s a whole different story. :man_shrugging:t6:

“Pandaren Summits” prior in their design have benefited guilds, collaborators, and the community in the format that it has been. And the fact that it continues to be remembered fondly among the playerbase as it continues to be brought up says something about not just the premise but the dedication of those involved to make them so successful.

Litterally the only thing I’ve asked since starting the event is “be pandaren”. Just for that -one- event.

Imperial Tournament? Pandaria based event. Bring anyone you’d like. Take all ze gold.

Assembly of the White Tiger? Pandaria Event. Bring everyone under the sun.

There’s so many tea festivals, roll events, hosted in Pandaria for anyone of any character to bring whomever you’d like. If I have a black and white party? Are yall going to show up in red outfits?

As I’ve said, again, since I am only one vote in this. Ya’ll can do whatever you want. But I think it’s disrespectful to keep pushing that I upend the entire formula/culture of an event for the sake of meeting every accommodation of one or two people.

9 Likes

This isn’t about my pandaren or non pandaren, this is about the image it gives for pandaren in general, as I’ve stated before.

I have only ever played Pandaren because of their inclusivity. I have roleplayed Pandaren because their culture is welcoming and open minded. Nothing of “You can’t bring other pandaren” is inclusive, and it goes against the reason why I love pandaren.

Maybe it is just me I guess, but if the Pandaren rp community wishes to be more exclusive and disclude others from their events (Even going so far as to talk only in pandaren), then so be it.

I’m going to drop out of this thread now, since it’s clear my arguments are doing nothing. It’s surprising to me that this is what it’s come down to, but I can only provide my points to support my perspective and those on my side. Since it’s being largely ignored and your arguments simply being re-iterated, then so be it. I can only hope that this does not paint an image of the pandaren roleplaying community being an exclusive group based on race. We are better than that, but apparently not here.

It’s literally one in a hundred. We’d all support any of us creating an event that’s all-inclusive. But this is to celebrate the race themselves, or so I’ve gathered. Taran above hosted a Pandaren Festival in the Vale some years ago and it was GREAT! I loved it! There were all races present and it was a great time! But there was certainly one thing distinct about it from the Summit: Pandaren were vastly outnumbered. And here we are, discussing an event on Pandaren taking stock of their clans/guilds/etc. and that possibility hovering over it if so many accommodations are made despite how it’s been organized in the past.

It’s tried and true. It’s fair. The race itself is no less inclusive just for having one event in a year to discuss their views on world events as a whole.

7 Likes

I can honestly say! its pretty inclusive! i RP as a half yaungol/half pandaren and im pretty welcomed there :smiley:

1 Like

Vrang, I don’t think one event of all the pandaren events being (somewhat) exclusive means it’s framing an entire direction for the pandaren rp community as a whole. Especially since it appears this particular event has been mostly this way for it’s history.

The event is probably gonna be what the bulk of people interested in it want it to be. Personally I’m indifferent. But look back over the posts and read the room.

8 Likes

Google Pandaren and Wyrmrest Accord. You’ll find in searches 11 RP event listings of old or sponsored by guilds.

Only one. 1. Suggests Pandaren only.

7 Likes

So why is it so important that it is Pandaren only? Seems like a redundant rule but not a rule really?

I do want to clarify a few things:
I’ve been a speaker at the summits but never ran one myself. The organizer baton has been passed around before, but this is definitely not my event to dictate what happens in it. I want to help support it.

I do like organizing events, but my ability to is somewhat impeded upon by a full time job. I definitely have to work with others if I want something ran, even the small scale events, which is why it’s important to start with a discussion at least. If we are having the consensus that another should happen, and it should be similar to the last four, then I suppose the next thing to ask would be what would be a good time, date, location, and point of discussion? And do we have any guild or group to volunteer as host?

4 Likes

It’s the spirit of the event that -I- wanted to create. But I as a person am not so much of a dick to just kick people out who can respect why the event is what it is.

5 Likes

Fair enough.

As a safeguard, I would think. I can only speak from personal experience, but I mentioned above the Festival of Light (Taran’s event he hosted) and we were by far outnumbered. But that was fine; it was irrelevant to the core of the event itself. In regards to the Summit, it’s quite relevant.

6 Likes

I am deeply saddened by this. I cannot in good conscience attend nor aid with the event. I wish you all good luck in your event.

We’re just waving our digital action figures around and pretending they’re talking to each other.

Nothing about this situation should weigh on your conscience.

7 Likes

I’d suggest an Alliance based guild should host if only that they’ve been hosted Horde the last three. And while the guilds who have are more “Pro Pandaria” than “Pro X faction” it’ll help with optics. Steelpaw ‘could’ host again. But I myself at the earliest couldn’t do so till after the 27th. And a change in atmosphere might be refreshing.

This.

Though at least we got Pandaren players talking again. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This is, like, exactly why I feel so blindsided about this whole debate. I think it’s good to have these discussions, but I sense that some feel personally aggrieved when it’s just… pretend. These are pixels and fictional characters.

What I will confess bugs me is that there’s been so many implications that the Pandaren community is just super prejudiced or something – the opposite of which I’ve experienced. Every race has race-exclusive events and the like. Every one. As someone that’s been playing this game since literally the very beginning, the Pandaren community is one of the most open and friendly.

8 Likes