Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

Who cares about Overwolf, CovenantMissionHelper is broke

1 Like

At first I was against Overwolf but I gave it try and since it had zero changes for me I’m still fine. I don’t use and never will bother with another option than curseforge.

The ads on it don’t bother me because from what I’ve seen it’s a single one on the right side I ignore, update my addons and go back to WoW.

3 Likes

Lia uses the ones from Curseforge. I’m trying to keep things simple for her. :slight_smile:

Make sure that Overwolf isn’t running in the background.

As Sorelai mentioned:

2 Likes

I am fortunate enough in my income to donate a substantial amount each month via Patreon ($100-150, various content creators, some of them addon developers). You say tight-fisted, but the official policy as published by Blizzard says that making addons for money is against the rules. It’s true that working on an addon of any size takes time, and one as feature rich as DBM had become takes much time, and that people often want to be compensated for time invested. But those authors spent that time knowing that trying to profit off that work was against the rules.

And honestly, I don’t really care that much about the ads. I mean technically the Blizzard launcher is “ads.” I care about Overwolf, going from game community to game community, buying up the mod scene and using their newfound stranglehold over the player base to shovel their actual adware and data collection software on to people’s computers. I don’t want to support their business. I’ve dropped every addon developer that goes overwolf/curse exclusive from my list, because if they’re getting in bed with the snakes then I want nothing to do with what was once their passion project and is now their “product.”

11 Likes

I don’t mind ads to support addon authors, but I won’t support Overwolf.

8 Likes

Yes, raids are tested with the a “pretty close” default UI, but the usage of addons is factored into raid design nonetheless.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/world-of-warcraft/wow-legion-addons-raids

1 Like

No it doesn’t, it says charging people for addons is against the rules.

1. Add-ons must be free of charge.
    All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

If I want to make addon development my sole source of income in the hopes that people donate to me then Blizz doesn’t care. As long as I don’t have my addons hosted on Kaurmine dot com and charge people for it.

2 Likes

Locked behind ad distribution software that scans your gaming libraries is not “free.”

1 Like

Sure it is. The addon is free. The convenience of using the client is not.

I hate overwolf and refuse to use it, but I don’t believe it violates this point in the TOS

3 Likes

and who knows how quantifiable “pretty close” is. Things like DBM don’t fundamentally change the default UI.

2 Likes

And they make it an absolute nightmare to erase your card credentials or terminate the services.

Earlier I installed the Overwolf client for a test and thankfully my Pi-Hole blocks all their in-app ads so I can live w/ it

It’s time to see if I can find replacements for any addons I get from Curse.

WowUp only has an ad if wago.io is enabled - I want a paid option for Wago that disables the ad. I’ve heard that a subscription option for Wago will be available at some point, but no timeline atm.

The most valuable part of wowhead and curse are the player comments.

2 Likes

What, you mean to tell me you don’t go to wowhead to read their breathtaking articles on Diablo?

2 Likes

Too bad blizz doesn’t care at all about add-on makers or the fact that 99% of the player base uses addons. So disappointing.

i only use like 5 addons easy to manually install.

elvui, some garbage seller, dominos, saved instances, DBM, and omni cc, and dejacharacterstats

And this is why its better to just download and put in the addons/mods manually. Greedy little #*&$.

Make a batch file.

start "" http://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/big-wigs/download
start "" https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/raiderio/download

Save automatically or manually.
Open your download folder.
Extract files to addon folder.

Congrats, you just updated all your addons with a few clicks.

1 Like

That’s all fine and dandy, but I have 110. I would have to spend all day updating everything manually.

2 Likes