Skirting Overwolf

So, after following a comment on how to download addons by using a script from this post:

I have made a discovery. The site will allow you to download like this one time. In my case I had about 20 addons I updated like this all at once, then tried to manually download one, and I get the ever so popular, “Are you human?” page, with a multipage visual Captcha page following.

It seems Overwolf will block Windows scripts, too. Just a heads-up.

2 Likes

what’s wrong with overwolf again?

3 Likes

I have had exactly zero issues with Overwolf. Not sure why some folks get the heebee jeebees over it.

10 Likes

Something something adware, I believe.

7 Likes

It is not uncommon for sites to use tokens to ensure that a page being called is being called in a way they intended. This is frequently done with web site back ends to keep people from trying to exploit poorly written server side code.

1 Like

Same, I have to use it because I play Minecraft mods

There is no such thing as “getting malware” from the overwolf client cause I have yet to see anything

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/911061686386044980/941520019894960148/Screenshot_134.png

my proof that I don’t have malware that people claim you’ll get from overwolf

8 Likes

Same, I started using it back in during the beta and I have never seen a single issue with it. But unlike some, I don’t leave it open all day long. Once I have updated mods or launched Minecraft, I close it. Just like I did with the old cursed forged and then twitch updater. Hell I don’t even keep the B-net launcher open if I am not playing something.

4 Likes

I understand that. What’s stupid is I can use a script to automatically order a pizza online, through the entire process, but I can’t download a single addon.

I guess Covid doesn’t exist since I’ve never had it… Makes perfect sense.

5 Likes

From what I’ve read, the instances of malware associated with Overwolf in the past weren’t directly from the client itself, but came in through the ads it presents because it doesn’t sandbox itself properly. Similar to how ads on the web can exploit holes in web browsers to install nasties, except browsers are pretty well hardened at this point and have few holes whereas just about any other type of program isn’t.

My personal policy is to not allow anything with ads to escape the relatively safe confines of an up-to-date browser with uBlock Origin installed.

9 Likes

if I had malware, Malwarebytes would have found it, I paid for the premium service for Malewarebytes so I’m not being cheated out, I been using it since the day curseforge was handed to Overwolf

1 Like

Unless I’m misunderstanding, she’s not saying that you got malware and didn’t know. She saying that the fact that you haven’t gotten malware from it doesn’t mean no-one has.

7 Likes

Hey, some sites take their site security more seriously then others. Anyone who does web application developments knows that cross site scripting is a serious problem and over the years back end security has become something people are more focused upon.

1 Like

You’re working off a sample size of exactly 1. It doesn’t have to be malware to farm your data.

1 Like

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/911061686386044980/941522046511366204/Screenshot_139.png

I use Brave Browser, it have a built in adblock system so I don’t have to worry about using uBlock Origin. Not saying anything wrong with uBlock since I used it before with Chrome

besides that, I’m starting to believe that people just don’t want ads in general, which is fine

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/911061686386044980/941522486820999228/Screenshot_138.png

if you don’t want the ads then $3 will resolve that entirely

1 Like

Genuinely curious here. If Curseforge allows us to download a single addon manually without signing up, why wouldn’t it allow a script to do the exact same thing when the one I posted still opens the webpage? They’re still getting click-through traffic. I’m ignoring their ads anyway with Adblock. They’re only keeping us from convenience at this point.

1 Like

See I just don’t understand this logic. Why assume Overwolf is doing something nefarious but not have this same concern over other updaters that are doing the very same thing? I mean I understand the concern about malware, as they had a problem with that a few years back but does anyone have any actually proof that they are spying on your computer, checking out your “private” bookmarks?

3 Likes

I’m not against subscriptions, I subscribe to YouTube and about 50 other things. I still won’t install the client directly on my machine though. Overwolf should have a model for Curse that’s similar to Spotify, where subscribers can use whatever third party app they want with it and not be tied to the official app. If only paid Curse subscribers could update with Ajour or WoWUp that’d be fine with me.

2 Likes

I don’t know what their end security looks like. It might be based upon how many calls you make before you trigger something.

Because if you go thru the site, their ads get to load. If you can just write a script to do it and bypass their front end, they get no ad monies. It is all about the ad money.

if they are afraid of services farming your data and what not, then they need to stop playing WoW, any Blizzard game in general.

Then get rid of their computers cause Microsoft/Apple also gathers your data

then get rid of their iPhone/Android phones too since Google/Apple also collect your data

3 Likes

I think the problem with wowup was they tried to partner up with Wago, which houses their own mod repo and Overwolf sees as a competition. It was childish that they blocked them but the interesting part? Wowup has agreed to run an ad on their launcher as part of their deal with Wago.