Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

Tldr; what we worried would happen has happened and WoWUp is getting cut off from Curseforge. On top of it all, we have to enable ads in WoWUp for it to use the Wago provider.

All of the “Overwolf sucks and will ruin the addon community” chants are coming to fruition. Despicable.

94 Likes

16 Likes

I hate overworlf , make my pc lag

rip wow is dead gg

17 Likes

I think I’ll be passing on most if not all addons then.

16 Likes

:man_shrugging: I just won’t update my addons as frequently anymore

New policy: "If it ain’t broke don’t update it "
:laughing:

45 Likes

Nothing is stopping you from manually downloading add-ons and adding them to your addon folder

That’s literally what the overwolf/wowup client does

Besides I don’t see the hatred about overwolf since I use it for Minecraft mods

23 Likes

Nothing is stopping you from walking to work, either.

But I bet you don’t.

123 Likes

Screw overwolf.

44 Likes

Incredibly frustrating.
Blizz should crack down on these guys like they did to the boosting communities.
Gives the game a really bad look to have these third parties running the show.

26 Likes

Lately, I’ve only been updating my add ons monthly. I don’t care THAT much about tweaks that barely change anything.

2 Likes

Yup, especially when core content such as dungeons and raids are designed with the assumption that add-ons are used.

8 Likes

Odd, I have been running it since like early Nov of 2021 without any issue. I use it not only for WoW mods for but Minecraft as well. Now I do close it when I am not actively using it but then I tend to do that with the Blizzard launcher, Steam or pretty much any other app of that fashion.

People still still be able to just manually update their mods when they feel the need as the Cursed Forge web site is still free to use.

12 Likes

this is unfortunate.

4 Likes

Blizzard nuked boosting communities, it’s time to nuke profit-mongering off of WoW addons. The WoW User Interface Add-On Development Policy already prohibits this:

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

This change from Overwolf most certainly requires some form of monetary compensation (by loading advertisements in their custom client) and prohibits free access to the addon (from wowup). Nuke Overwolf monetizing addons like this, please.

41 Likes

I did actually in 2019 when an 18 wheeler messed up my first car, got hit at a stoplight, freeway would have been alot worse I believe, had to take the city bus for a while

I mean the 18 wheeler didn’t hit me directly he hit two cars behind me and it was just a Domino effect

1 Like

You do understand that the mods are still free. I don’t give Overwolf a god damn dime, yet I update my mods thru it all the time.

9 Likes

Why’d you stop?

6 Likes

Welp guess im not healing anymore

3 Likes

Unfortunately, it doesn’t. You can download addons manually from curseforge, free of charge.

If you want to use the client, the “fee” is ads. and their long history of intrusive malware/spyware.

4 Likes

Cause I got a new truck by April 2021

When the pandemic shutdowns happened it kinda delayed alot of my lawsuit money for awhile

Then job wasn’t stable at the time, etc etc

So it took me awhile to get a new vehicle

10 minutes walking to work and 10 minutes back, in hot, cold and rainy days

Did what I had to

1 Like