Overcrowded Realm Update – August 21

Hurry up with the Patchwerk EST PvP and Hogger EST PvE servers already. You can give PST the Goldshire PST PvP realm.

Well, aren’t you so very prepared. You surely are proud. Look, I’m not making excuses. I’m saying how it is.

First off, we’re former guildmates. Most of us haven’t played together in 15 years. It’s not like we have some elaborate communication infrastructure, and not everyone is sure they will play. Most are on the fence. Most of us are professionals with families now and this is all ad hoc.

Go build your fence. I got a trial to prep for. Have a nice life duder.

Realms that have a healthy population now will be dead in the future while realms that have massive ques now will live on in the future.

Anyone who has played wow ever knows that it’s difficult to coordinate large groups of people. If anyone switches realms now, they’ll probably lose half their group who don’t get the message, and they won’t get the same name they already decided on.

It’s 2019, to have made this a smooth experience, reservations should have only been timezone and pvp/pve choices, and linking up with friends to get put on the same server. Then autobalancing out to the total number of servers, and people could feel good because they’re with their coordinated buddies, and then we don’t get queues.

Blaming players for a bad setup feelsbad, and queues feel bad. But I don’t see a fix coming now that this system is locked in.

1 Like

Not dissuaded from rolling on unFaerlina.

/for the Horde

Because letting 3 servers become so overpopulated that it breaks the queue is success?

Everyone join Herod, Faerlina and Whitemane because they are a success!

Wait, not everyone is joining…

All of you claiming there is going to be an influx of subs last minute are kind of delusional. Its crunch time NOW. Most people that are going to sub have already.

If there is ANY influx of subs its going to be this weekend, before launch day and it will give Blizzard some time to react. Friday = Pay day, by Sunday people are going to be prepping and making sure their account is ready to roll.

Yes we are going to need many more servers. But I think Blizzard will have time to react as needed.

1 Like

I have this Bridge…in Brooklyn…I sell it to you for a measly $1000.

2 Likes

It took Blizzard 4 days to spin up 1 server after Herod not only became full but to where it was going to have 10000+ queues. So with response times like that…

I have some bottom land to sell you…cheap, just don’t ask what it is on the bottom of.

1 Like

If you seriously don’t think they are going to be watching numbers more during the last few days(weekend prior to launch), than they have during the name reservation phase, then you obviously don’t know how any sort of management works.

Is it close to my ocean front property just outside of Phoenix? :rofl:

Why not lock these realms? It makes no sense to let people keep making characters on them.

Realm transfers are kind of available at launch. Just create a new character. Couldn’t have progressed your other character significantly - especially since the issue is overcrowding.

No he is. He’s just doing that perpetual gloating troll thing.

I honestly suspect that to be part of blizzard’s mentality. They likely just see RP and RPPVP as legit overflow servers for the PVE and PVP servers.

Been said a thousand times but we need MORE PVE EST SERVERS!

4 Likes

prepare to get roflstomped!!!

If you seriously think they wait until the last minute to closely watch the numbers you don’t know how any sort of management works. The Name Reservation they pulled was for one purpose and one purpose only: To act as preorder sales in their calculations.

Every AAA gaming company has formula’s that are built on years of experience that says if you have X preorders you need Y servers for launch because they know roughly how many more people will buy between opening of preorders and launch.

One problem with doing this: this wasn’t preorders and Blizz got caught flatfooted. Hell they basically admitted that name reservation was acting as preorders in the Q&A when asked what they will do if all realms go full before launch and here is their answer:

When asked point blank if the amount of people signing up met their expectations or exceeded it they dodged the question:

[quote]Q: Has the reception of Classic met or exceeded expectations? Are there far more people coming back for Classic than expected? Or were you guys right within the predicted ballpark?

A: We’ve been blown away by the response to WoW Classic. The passion from the community is exactly what got us working on this in the first place, and we see new signs of your passion and excitement every day. We’re very excited to make it a reality for all of you next week![/quote]

If the Name Reservation period, that had been going on for 8 full days at that point, had met their expectations they would have stated such because companies always crow when they get things right and start dodging when things go wrong. They dodged and that is why we have this panic post before the weekend because things have gotten so far out of control they can’t keep ignoring it because if they did Monday would have been a bloodbath of negative PR.

2 Likes

Weren’t these 3 the ONLY pvp servers available to choose from on day 1?

You know, that day that many took off from work and many paid 2 weeks early for a month sub with only 2 weeks of gameplay to reserve names on?

2 Likes

Locking a realm would give the illusion that the people on the realm are safe from even more queues (although already high queue times). I imagine people would be even more reluctant to leave the realm if they know it’s locked.

1 Like

I am writing this in the hope to add some more information I believe you should consider.
Most of the initial PvP servers where filled by people VERY enthusiastic for classic wow (me included). This necessary means people who for the most part where preparing for this day. Lets call this players the “first wave”.
With this in mind consider the following:

We reserved our character names the first minute we could. If successful (as myself) we would not risk deleting a character name only for chance of getting the same one in a new server. The first wave knows your name sticks in classic. Ways to improve this:

• Offer temporal over the limit character name reservations.
  • Give more time between the announcement of a new server and its actual opening. I saw the last server opening news hours after it happen.
  • Needs more work, but offer char transfer before the server opens. This would be subject to competition to although a much smaller one.

The first wave knows that low pop servers give an awful experience, thus we don’t want to move to an low pop server. Now you might say, but with this trend they will be full soon! Yes but with whom? …Classic tourists? Servers might be low after some weeks. To be honest I have no idea, it might be very one gets as hooked as we do. This scares me when considering a transfer.
I will rise a possible solution after the next point.

A lot (as myself) are already organized in guilds. More so if we are in the first wave. As you might suspect moving a guild that recruited a several folks over the past weeks is a nightmare. Seeing this thread I asked our guild leader if maybe we should consider moving and got a big no no as we where so fine with the current rooster. Not sure how to address this…

I see some kind of prisoners dilemma here: What is good for all of as if we all act responsible is not good for myself if the group doesn’t.

I know this might sound a little drastic and lots of work ( I am a game dev myself) but consider the following:

• Spit the full servers in 2.
  • Only original accounts get to select one of the 2 servers for some time (please more than a few hours so guilds can organize). This would transfer the whole name. As there is no name overlapping.
  • While you might think this would put the servers below your threshold of acceptable population (not sure not knowing what each pop label means) please consider we are talking about the first wave thus people more likely to stay in the server.

Here are my 2 grains of salt. If anyone read all the way down please as I am just 1 guy please confirm me if you thing something similar about the 3 points raised.

Cheers!

1 Like