Not exactly sure why my friend recieved a 6 month ban

My friend recently received a 6 month ban because apparently there was evidence of botting on his account. He never has run any applications or altered any game files, and Blizzard will not tell him specifically what application had caused this ban. This is extremely frustrating because he would not jeopardize his account by botting or using mods, so this ban was completely unexpected. All Blizzard will say is that they “have reviewed the evidence and will not overturn his ban”.

He doesn’t know what evidence they have against him, so he doesn’t know what to do about the ban. We’re in a sore spot with the guild without him, and I’m hoping to found out a solution as to why specifically he was banned and what he could possibly do to relieve the ban or ensure this does not happen again in the future.

EDIT:
So it turns out Blizzard just relied on their automated system and never looked at the issue personally until now. Ban has been lifted, but I’m still slightly disappointed with Blizzard for the amount of haggling done to just get them to look into the issue. Thanks all for the replies and advice

Your friend will need to send in an appeal per the instructions given in the email they received about the suspension.

6 Likes

Your friend will need to appeal. Generally, Blizzard will only provide a generic reason why action was taken against an account. They don’t go into specifics as that would help makers of the illegal software to change it in certain ways to make it harder to detect.

In the end, Blizzard will always catch those using software that violates the Terms.

Your friend (not you) will need to submit an appeal using this link:

https://battle.net/support/help/product/battlenet/316/980/solution

5 Likes

He has sent an appeal stating that he has not ever modded or botted and has no software of the sort, however they did not accept his appeal. I don’t think he’s lying, but we don’t know what sort of evidence we need to provide to Blizzard for them to reconsider.

there was recently a banwave for using software that modifies game files to edit models in game. those people were notified using the generic botting e-mail. so most likely that is what they got caught doing.

if they’ve appealed and were told it will stand, that’s the end of it. an appeal causes blizzard to check their own evidence, not vice versa, so there is no evidence you can or need to provide for them to reconsider.

they can appeal again if they want, until they are told that no further appeals will be considered. usually they’ll review it twice or so before telling you it’s over.

5 Likes

They will not consider any evidence your friend provides, at all. Blizzard will only use their internal logs to determine if a mistake was made.

All your friend can do is keep appealing until they say no more appeals will be considered. Every time an appeal is submitted, someone new looks at it.

If it’s been upheld multiple times, your friend did in fact use something that violated the terms of use.

There are rumors about using a certain client to modify the graphics in the game. If that’s the case, the suspension is justified.

8 Likes

The only thing on this wow account is deadly boss mod and add-ons like that which are approved. We’ll keep trying to appeal, this ban does not make any sense and it doesn’t appear to be justified. I mean its possible he did something in the past, he’s been a player for 9 years, but then why would the ban be issued now?

Only your friend can appeal the account action. You can’t appeal for them, nor is it any business of yours. It’s between your friend and Blizzard.

7 Likes

Blizzard doesn’t issue account actions right away when suspending for using unauthorized software. They take the time to study how it works before breaking it and issuing a suspension.

If they issued suspensions the moment when something unauthorized was detected, that would only help the makers of the software get around detection.

Also, it sounds like you are accessing your friend’s account. That is not permitted under the Terms of Use. The only person who’s allowed to access the account is the person named on the Blizzard Account itself.

4 Likes

bans can be for past behavior, but usually it isn’t extremely long ago. i’d say the vast majority of people banned typically did the activity within the last month, but it could be from several months ago or more in some instances. we aren’t in on how they make those kinds of determinations.

4 Likes

To answer this, it’s because Blizzard bans in waves. When they detect an illegal program, they reverse engineer it and figure out how to change the code to break the entire program…then issue suspensions/bans to anyone who used it. They don’t play whack-a-mole.

It’s admirable to stick up for your friend, but let them go through the appeals process. More often than not, whenever a friend comes in here to vouch for someone, they leave embarrassed when they find out what truly happened.

5 Likes

That’s kind of what I meant. Obviously they can’t tell us anything for legal reasons.

I’m hearing reports of many people that were wrongly banned recently it’s suddenly gone. Have your friend check again.

I’m not accessing his account, and I don’t know what would make you think that. He’s just been telling us his appealing process and such. I’ll tell him to keep sending appeals. In the meantime I guess it is what it is.

Apologies for assuming. Usually when one says “we’re doing this” or implies more than one person is doing something with an account, it usually implies there’s some form of account sharing going on. That’s all!

Yeah, the best thing your friend can do is keep sending in the appeals until they tell him to stop. That’s about all that can be done at this point.

1 Like

Yeah a lot of people are being hit with false positives, especially well known and respected streamers.

and that’s what the appeal process if ro.

Also, just because some proclaims they are innocent doesn’t mean they are

1 Like

~https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/babc956d-555c-4498-8cdf-42858113ced7#r1klt4Agbj4.copy

1 Like

I mean I know this guy pretty well but I guess he could be lying, idk what the point in that would be though

Regardless, you cannot advocate on his behalf. This is between the account holder(s) and Blizzard.

False positives do happen, but guilty people also profess innocence.

Leave this between Blizz and the account holder.

8 Likes