Night Elf Player Hate

But Elesana! Sylvanas said they were nothing! How will they go on without their Queen to stan?!?!?! The faction is basically a husk now! The poor Horde players.

5 Likes

Yeah, I get that. But it doesn’t stop me from wishing they could find a solution other than raising players’ expectations (as with Gilneas) and then leaving them hanging. Maybe it’s as simple as making sure they put a priority on repurposing, within a reasonable time frame, any major lore location that’s put in the game and doesn’t pan out as originally planned. (And if that means something else gets delayed 
 well, that might be an acceptable trade?)

It’s pretty obvious that your just substituting words to try and “keep the peace” when you combine them with the Horde’s only consistent gripe. That the game suggested maybe you shouldn’t feel good about being a genocidal monster. Maybe.

So again I ask. What ride of shame is there for being assertive and taking back your own homeland? Why is this something someone shouldn’t want to do and should feel bad for wanting to do?

2 Likes

That’s not what I said
 The race that most of the time shows up in the story when the writers need a victim are night elves
 For Tauren to be victims, they would have to show up first.

I mean, the chances of that happening with Anduin in place of the goblin is well within Blizzard’s wheelhouse, unfortunately.

It’s all in presentation/framing.

What WoW is most concerned with is whether one’s efforts brings them into conflict with the other playable faction, as they’ve usually gone through the effort to give them characterization and sympathetic moments. Battles between the Horde/Alliance is invariably framed as part of a sad and tragic cycle of violence-no matter the justification given by either side.

If WoW were really interested in the plight of people who suffered genocide/colonization taking back their homelands, then the main characters of the franchise would all be trolls and we’d all be getting rewards for bringing in X number of elf/dwarf/human heads instead of vice versa.

And speaking of franchises that make you feel good about being a genocidal monster, there’s a new Star Wars film coming out this month. A lot of ten year olds are going to be dressed up as Darth Vader and Kylo Ren- the evil wizard knights that are responsible for slaughtering Jedi, killing billions of innocents, and personally engage in torture as part of their function as leaders of an organization that specifically invokes WWII fascist regimes. And 10 year olds will be produly dressed in their likeness and adults will think it’s so cute.

It’s all about presentation/framing.

2 Likes

There were never ever any public promises made about Gilneas becoming a new capital city. Nor was there any announcement made about a proposed battleground, that got leaked by dataminers. and the devs cottoned up to it when they were subsequently asked about it after hearing from the usual suspects.

1 Like

And more Night Elf NPCs were in the Park than Human ones. The Dwarven District has even less in it actually symbolizing Dwarves in it than the Park had Night Elf aesthetics - and luckily Classic is back to show that clear as day - yet no one would argue that the Dwarven District is another portion of Stormwind for the Humans.

I do not argue that Blizzard screws the Night Elves over intentionally.

I argue that Blizzard does whatever they are interested in at the moment, and that has no assurances to have anything to do with past game events. Like Blizzard made Lion’s Rest, Blizzard will also focus primarily first on making whatever next capitals they make beautiful as possible and fitting the expansions they’re made for. Replacing Teldrassil and the Undercity will not be a priority in light of that, unlike what you are claiming.

I still am. You’re trying to claim your five likes was from people thinking your attempt at mockery was meaningful in any way, when in actuality they simply are also tired of Night Elf complaint threads, not by being impressed by your mediocre attempt.

96 post after I openly mocked your example of Lion’s Rest being a good example of replacements for Night Elf locations first.

You certainly don’t.

Lets keep having fun then.

2 Likes

Your making my point, asides from a few things even the Dwarven district is mostly dominated by the human aesthetic. Lion’s Rest was design to look aesthetically pleasing. A big moonwell where the much small fountain is would have ruined the feel of the place.

You assume they wont end up tying the new stories of Warcraft to the night elves when most likely Elune is probably gonna end up having a bigger role and by extension the night elves will probably get more screentime. (not that they don’t already get that, sans human and orcs they are probably third amoung the playable races in terms of screentime)

Didn’t know you were a mind reason. If it seems mediocre to you its because it probable doesn’t take much to offend night elf fans these days.

I am not even sure you remember how this arguement started. You were trying to mock my claims that the night elves would get a new capital someday/that said new capital would be another attempt at a human potential slap in the face to night elf fans.

Maybe the night elves will eat up all the negative attention again in Shadowlands like they do always.

Oh it did take a lot. For me, the “Tyrande got her revenge” and ignoring them afterwards was the nail in the coffin. The “every night elf will forever suffer in the maw” was just sort of a bonus.

well that’s just very very unrealistic

1 Like

Elune preserve me, this thread is a hot mess.

To throw my two cents in anyway: OP, I understand that many Night Elf fans come across as annoying, incessantly whiny or pessimistic, but try to understand where they’re coming from. Night Elves, as a race, have been dealt bad storyline after bad storyline for years, with the occasional bone thrown their way to soften the blows. They’re the Poland of Warcraft, if you want to make a comparison; the punching bag of Kalimdor. That there has been no proper catharsis for the War of Thorns like all the pretty cinematics that Saurfang has gotten, for example, only rubs salt in the wound. Not to mention all of the civilians who died in Teldrassil are now suffering in the afterlife, too (cheers, Jailer!).

We’re obviously going to free all of those souls trapped in the Maw come Shadowlands, but what about the Kaldorei who are still alive? It’s implied they’ve lost the same amount of people the Quel’dorei lost to the Scourge, so 90% of the population. Without Teldrassil, they also lack a racial capital, to boot. It’s gonna take some time, both in WoW and rl, for one of Warcraft’s most beloved races to rise above their current status as a broken, displaced people nearing extinction.

Keep all of this in mind whenever you see Night Elf fans being mad.

5 Likes

Zerde is just another Katiera but as a Male Draenei. He drinks the human cool aid just as hard as Kat and Drah do. Don’t waste your effort typing to them.

Source?

1 Like

Just a hunch, really, since we’re supposed to be bringing balance back to the Shadowlands, yadda yadda. So freeing souls trapped in the Maw who don’t deserve to be there would go along with that.

1 Like

Nah, we just going into Shadowlands and the Maw to take a stroll in the Park and maybe, just maybe, defeat the Jailor and let those souls rot away for funsies.

Freeing the souls of the civilians the Genocidal Horde burned alive would be a positive thing for Night Elf Fans to experience. That’s not allowed.

1 Like

A positive experience you’d have to pay upwards of $50 to get, so it makes perfect sense for Blizzard to implement something like it. Hey, you want justice for Teldrassil? Pay up, kiddo. =/

Or you can look at this way. Don’t pay until they provide. You’re giving them your money and hoping they give you something you’ll enjoy. I’m done with that. I’ve been done with that since a week after 8.2 when I got to watch Jaina tell me about Azshara while Shandris sat in the corner. And I resolved to be done with that until they give me what I want first after they put Tyrande on the chopping block.

They want my money? They put in content for Night Elf Fans first. That’s how I’m going to play and that’s how every nelf fan should play it. Don’t just roll over with your tail between your legs and hope they give you a belly rub.

The problem is that the current writers can’t bring themselves to give the night elves 1 positive thing, and that also includes freeing their souls from the maw.

That’s not how it works for Night Elves. We also paid $50 for BfA to have our race utterly destroyed without any recovery and then we got ignored again. I expect that trend to continue, it’s either tragedy for night elves or getting ignored. The start of bfa was tragedy, now it’s getting ignored again. At the start of shadowlands it could either be tragedy again with tyrande dying and the souls being consumed by Sylvanas or something or just nothing at all. There are no positives for night elf fans.

I mean, tbf, there are parts of BfA I have enjoyed, they’re just not Night Elf-related. It’s kinda painful to see the difference in quality between, say, Drustvar levelling or the Crucible of Storms quests and what the devs sold as ‘vengeance’ for the Night Elves in 8.1. Unless Blizzard well and truly sh_t the bed beyond redemption between now and next year, I’ll stay subbed for Shadowlands, but that’s because the new gameplay features look intriguing. I’m not expecting some miracle 360° turnaround in the Nelf narrative.

Besides, nothing in the next xpac can be worse than watching my favourite racial capital and early levelling zones in WoW being destroyed in front of my eyes with nary a thing I can do about it. I’m cold as ice, hard as steel etc. after that clusterf_ck.

1 Like

Then don’t be surprised when the narrative never changes. Because complacent Night Elf “Fans” like you continued to give them your money and by extension your approval to continue with their current course of action.

Lol maybe for you the only reason to play wow is rping as a night elf. That’s not the case for everyone.