Name Changed/suspended

I was suspended for the name Bootiebae for 4 days and there are 7 other Bootiebae's in the game with the same exact name that haven't been reported as innappropiate and have been around longer than I, there is a location in the game called Booty Bay and regardless of spelling I was suspended and told this is innappropiate with others in the game with the same name. My question is why have I been singled out? was it a forum post? was it pvp? was I trolling chat too hard?(I would like to see chat logs as I don't troll much if at all) am I a toxic player(again I would like to see chat logs)? what kind of policy is the autoreport feature? it seems like an easily exploited one, only overseen by bots that cant tell the difference between a legitimate offense and someone being harassed. Blizz even upheld the suspension and if we change the spelling by removing the ae and replace it with ay theres a grand total of 67 bootybays in the game, without suspensions for an innappropiate name..... can someone explain this to me in plain English as I don't understand the logic behind allowing 1 bootiebae out of 67 be banned for innappropiate name and the rest go unharmed.

I just wanted to share my experience with the community and show yall what type of company were currently dealing with. as of right now my 4 day suspension may as well been a permaban cause ive uninstalled everything that has blizzard /activision on it. a billion dollar company this detached from humanity cant even communicate with me. were speaking 2 different languages at this point with no translation. that sub count just went -1.

grats to cdew, but this company. they've lost there way. they let toxic players victimize decent people with automated features and as much as I would like to turn the other cheek with 67 other bootiebaes in the game of varied spelling an automated response from a machine posing as a gm. im done here. all my blizzard cups and mouse pads are going in the garbage as this company is trash now. Zombie company only after braaaiiimoney…

my question to the community. if what I say is true, do you agree wiith blizzards decision to suspend just one guy and make me change my name as if the other 67 have a copyright or something or does blizzard owe me a hefty apology and beg me to come back to their game?
Well, coming here won't do much.

If you actually got a 4 day suspension for a naming violation, means you have a history of picking questionable names and Blizzard had enough. After your suspension, perhaps show a LITTLE more thought and creativity in choosing a name. Use this site for possible names: https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/
1 Like
11/08/2018 10:59 AMPosted by Forumpost
I was suspended for the name Bootiebae for 4 days and there are 7 other Bootiebae's in the game with the same exact name that haven't been reported as innappropiate and have been around longer than I
You said it yourself --- they haven't been reported. You were.

My question is why have I been singled out?
Someone saw your name and felt it violated policy, so they reported it. Upon review, Blizzard agreed. That really is all there is to it. The motivations of the person who reported you are irrelevant.

I just wanted to share my experience with the community and show yall what type of company were currently dealing with. as of right now my 4 day suspension may as well been a permaban cause ive uninstalled everything that has blizzard /activision on it. a billion dollar company this detached from humanity cant even communicate with me. were speaking 2 different languages at this point with no translation. that sub count just went -1.
Cool story. I guess this is goodbye then. Good luck with whatever it is you'll be doing from this point forward.

my question to the community. if what I say is true, do you agree wiith blizzards decision to suspend just one guy and make me change my name as if the other 67 have a copyright or something
Absolutely. You aren't being picked on. Regardless what you think, the name is inappropriate (please note the correct spelling). You were reported, the others weren't. If they had been, they'd be facing a forced rename as well, The fact that you earned a four-day suspension is a pretty clear indication that you have a history of making poor decisions.

or does blizzard owe me a hefty apology and beg me to come back to their game?
An apology for what? Enforcing their rules against a player who can't seem to learn from past mistakes? Yeah, no. Get over yourself.
And if you're judging by the Armory to get seven more identical names, you actually have no idea if they've been reported or not; the players could have simply not logged in since they've been reported and subsequently flagged.

Possible they've also been flagged for an inactivity rename and just haven't come back to act on it.

You're welcome to create characters on their realms and seek them out to also report them, if you feel so inclined.
Do you perform the same song and dance when you get pulled over for speeding? How many times in your life has “everyone else is doing it” worked for you?
Like was said so far, the naming penalties are based off reports. Meaning that they are only actioned when the community brings them to Bliz's attention.

So any others you see with the same name could mean that they haven't been reported. Further, the armory doesn't indicate if a name is flagged for a change. In short, the armory is not a good indication of anything in a case like this.

So in this regard you haven't been singled out. If believing so is serving as your impetus for quitting, understand it's because you were caught breaking rules and the company upheld its values by enforcing then.
The report process is NOT automated, stop spreading lies. Every single report is reviewed by a human GM. They found you name to be in violation. There is no way to abuse the system. So the entire premise for your little hissy fit is based on false information or ignorance of how the system actually works.
1 Like
My question is why have I been singled out? was it a forum post? was it pvp? was I trolling chat too hard?(I would like to see chat logs as I don't troll much if at all) am I a toxic player(again I would like to see chat logs)?

Only your name was in question, not your chat, that is a completely different penalty system.

The suspension is likely because of a past history of poor name choices, or even picking names that continue to break the rules after a past name change.

At question isn’t the other players you might find on the Armory. That information is often not up to date. They only take a look at names that are reported via the in game system that violates the current naming policy.
what kind of policy is the autoreport feature?
There is no such thing as an autoreport feature. There is a "right-click>report player for" feature. Players are encouraged to use it to report Code of Conduct violations.
it seems like an easily exploited one
It can't be exploited. One player=one report. It is manually checked by Blizzard and appropriate action is taken. If there is no violation found, no action is taken.
overseen by bots that cant tell the difference between a legitimate offense and someone being harassed.
Reports are not reviewed by bots. They are reviewed by humans who are quite capable of telling the difference between a legitimate offense and someone being harassed. The thing is, if what is being reported is a violation of the Code of Conduct, action is taken. It doesn't matter the reason the reporter had for doing the reporting. The email sent is a form letter so that everyone who receives one receives the same information. A form letter in no way indicates that a bot was used. Most companies use form letters for replies.
Blizz even upheld the suspension and if we change the spelling by removing the ae and replace it with ay theres a grand total of 67 bootybays in the game, without suspensions for an innappropiate name
The issue here is naming after a place in-game. Blizzard does not support using game/lore names for player's characters.

As well, you don't know what action has or has not been taken on those other accounts. The armory is a poor source for this. The characters could have been reported for rename and have not been logged into recently, so they haven't been renamed. The character could have been renamed recently or changed factions or changed realms and the armory has not yet updated. The character may have been reported and changed their name to the other spelling - itself a violation. The character may have been reported but their report has not been reviewed yet.

Someone else doing something wrong does not justify you doing it also.
Overreact much? It's a Suspension, even if you chose to "ban" yourself. All you have shown is that Blizzard enforces their rules when players report properly. What language are you trying to talk to them in? They offer support in English, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese.

The only way to appeal a suspension is through the ticketing system. It can not be done through the forums.

Code of Conduct
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/42673
World of Warcraft Naming Policy
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/34530
Appealing a Silence, Suspension, or Ban
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/166944

Edit:
The name contains a word that also refers to a body part. That is another category that is not permitted in names.
my question to the community. if what I say is true, do you agree wiith blizzards decision to suspend just one guy and make me change my name as if the other 67 have a copyright or something or does blizzard owe me a hefty apology and beg me to come back to their game?
What you said is not true. There is no automation involved with reporting or investigating the reports. If you were suspended, it was because a person who investigated the report made about you determined you earned the suspension.

As for others, you do not know if they have been actioned or not. You are not entitled to that information. It is between the other players and Blizzard. It is possible all the others you found have been actioned.

You were actioned because other players reported your name. If the others have not been changed or suspended, it's because no one has reported them yet. You were not singled out. There are millions of WoW players, why would they single you out?

Blizzard doe not owe you an apology. Nor are they going to beg you to come back.
all my blizzard cups and mouse pads are going in the garbage
Why does that matter? You already paid for them.
My question is why have I been singled out? was it a forum post? was it pvp? was I trolling chat too hard?

It can be for any reason or none at all, Forumpost. If a person saw your character and felt your name may violate our policies, they can report it.

what kind of policy is the autoreport feature? it seems like an easily exploited one, only overseen by bots that cant tell the difference between a legitimate offense and someone being harassed.

To be clear, Forumpost, you are mistaken in your belief that naming reports are handled automatically. Yes, there are some aspects of the process that are automated. Such as the reports that a player makes by right clicking to report the name, that automatically generates a ticket to be sent up for Game Master review. The review is done by a real person though, based on our policies and procedures.

Another part that is "automated" is if the name is confirmed to violate policy the Game Master clicks a button and you are automatically flagged for a name change and the appropriate penalties for the violation are applied, including sending you an email notification. What penalties are applied often depend on the history on the account, which our systems take into consideration.

With that said, if the name reported has already been reported before, and confirmed to violate policy, it is placed on a list of verified bad names. While it does not go after characters that may currently have that name it should prevent new characters from using the name and make it easier for any new reported characters that currently have the name to quickly go through that review process.

can someone explain this to me in plain English as I don't understand the logic behind allowing 1 bootiebae out of 67 be banned for innappropiate name and the rest go unharmed.

Are we talking about the difference between the two ways the names are spelled? One means treasure, the other means posterior. Certainly a humorous play on words, but while the name you had isn't obscene, it isn't necessarily appropriate either, which is why it was changed.

as of right now my 4 day suspension may as well been a permaban cause ive uninstalled everything that has blizzard /activision on it

I am sorry to hear that, Forumpost.
Name violations normally result in an email and a prompt to change the name the next time the character is logged in.

If there was a four day ban imposed, there's more to the story than you have identified.
Certainly a humorous play on words

I respectfully disagree that this is "humorous", but I'm also known as a stick in the mud.

ive uninstalled everything that has blizzard /activision on it. ... that sub count just went -1.

I wish you the best of luck in your next gaming adventure. But I would also caution you to familiarize yourself with the next game's rules, especially when your actions affect other people (online multiplayer, etc.). All companies have rules governing these interactions, and if you don't take the time to understand the rules (or try to find not-so-clever ways to circumvent them), you will find yourself with quite the comprehensive list of companies with whom you won't do business.
11/08/2018 02:28 PMPosted by Melaesia
I respectfully disagree that this is "humorous", but I'm also known as a stick in the mud.
So, I have no knowledge of the OP, so I can’t assume they live in the same environment as I do. Perhaps they live in a more insular environment? But I think I can assume that the Blizzard employees who examine reports of naming violations have some exposure to common current usage.

In my neighborhood at least anybody would see Bootie, using that exact spelling certainly pronounce as it would be, as a reference to a body part, and bae as a reference to ones female significant other or someone who you would want as a significant other. The portmanteau Bootiebae being a common explicit expression that has no place in an online game venue.

If I saw this name in game I would certainly report it with the expectation that, regardless of who the immature idiot who used it was, they would be required to change it.
11/08/2018 11:53 AMPosted by Mourningg
The report process is NOT automated, stop spreading lies. Every single report is reviewed by a human GM. They found you name to be in violation. There is no way to abuse the system. So the entire premise for your little hissy fit is based on false information or ignorance of how the system actually works.

I'd guess that people often think it's automated because responses seem swift, which could sometimes be that the action was for something previous and simply came through at a coincidental time, but I would also expect it's simply because often these various language-based violations really are pretty cut and dry, even if the reported members don't think so (or try to create the impression they aren't).

there is a location in the game called Booty Bay

Means 'treasure bay'.

bootiebae

Means 'girl with big butt'. Bootie means butt, bae is usually taken as a contraction of 'babe' which means 'girl'. It's not appropriate as a name.

There's a difference between 'offensive' and 'inappropriate' btw, always important to remember. e.g Swearing up a storm in a business meeting is inappropriate, even if all people present swear that much on their own, private time. Nobody's offended, it's just inappropriate for the situation.
11/08/2018 03:34 PMPosted by Dathrel
There's a difference between 'offensive' and 'inappropriate' btw, always important to remember. e.g Swearing up a storm in a business meeting is inappropriate, even if all people present swear that much on their own, private time. Nobody's offended, it's just inappropriate for the situation.
An important distinction often overlooked.
LOOK, I realize im overreacting a bit and my anger is a response to someone else's who is obviously not having much fun in life if they found any name ive conjured up offensive. there all ment to be cute little jokes for you to see and laugh at. not be angry and offended. to have these strikes on my record is my biggest concern atm, cause I feel like im being pushed into a corner where to some it appears as if im a bad actor in this game due to the reports ive received to my account. I threw my tantrum and im sorry if it offended anyone. I also apologize for any misunderstanding on my part and as a result any slander I may have hurled your way in the process of venting. however I do think that if someone like myself who see's themselves as harmless and a plus for any community im in to be targeted and suspended without like some type of plea bargain. I MENT NO OFFENSE. if you where offended by my names you definitely need to cheer up. I am. and blizz as a company should tell the reporters of names sometimes to grow up. its a tough world out there, if an outlaw rogue named
Bootiebae offends you.... my other reported name was an unholy dk named Darthaids and an orc rogue name Vendortrash on an rp realm. I hope the majority of you don't find any of these three offensive names offensive. someone else did and I think theyre miserable. and im sorry. I did not mean to add to that, my intention would and will continue to be to make you giggle when you see my toons and their associated names. Don't worry Ill keep my day job.
you know na just won blizzcon. I think ill hold off on quitting for now. thank you Cdewd and method orange for bringing it home. my only gripe is DH's are a disgusting class in pvp and should be deleted xD
btw it wasn't that complex for me maybe im too old to understand but when I typed in Bootiebae it was for all intents and purposes to give mention to the pirate hub in the game and where im from boy are bae's too its a term of endearment. yeah spelling was off but I wanted it that way cause it looked like one word/name and not like I wasn't allow to space in between the booty and the bae. Bootybae just doent "look" right to me and the other spelling did. also the bae where im from can be an acronym for befor all else which means first. combine that with my intentions and not spelling my name translate into treasure before all else. but I guess in the !@#$ circles of the internet the meaning is degraded and devolved into something im unaware of til now. now if the gm could've explained this to an old man I wouldn't have wasted my time with nasty forum post. thx for the explanation though, looks like we are starting to speak different languages after all.
11/09/2018 09:07 AMPosted by Forumpost
if they found any name ive conjured up offensive

not be angry and offended.

im sorry if it offended anyone

I MENT NO OFFENSE

if you where offended

two offensive names offensive

You keep saying offensive. I'm going to refer you back to Dathrel's post, because they stated it much better than I can:

to some it appears as if im a bad actor in this game due to the reports ive received to my account.

No one else knows, except for the people you've shared it with. All account actions are private between the account owner and Blizzard, and Blizzard did not tell anyone.

But of the people who know, no one really cares. You broke a rule, took your pill, and hopefully learned something and became a better member of this community. You'll be hard-pressed to find a human being who follows every single rule, every second of the day. Learn and move on, my friend. :)

However, on the other hand:

blizz as a company should tell the reporters of names sometimes to grow up. its a tough world out there

This will not happen. Blizzard sets rules, and encourages people to report violations, as Blizzard cannot possibly be in all places of the game at all times. It's much the same as seeing someone commit a crime in real life, and you call the cops. The cops cannot be in every location at all times. They rely on witnesses to stop crime. And the accused does not get very far by going to court and saying "everyone just needs to grow thicker skin, and let me commit these crimes".
The names policy is not new, bad names have been changed in the past. I’m just stating this so hopefully you understand that you were not targeted. More players do report than before, not out of malice, but because they now know that reports are not ignored, and everyone just wants a clean gaming environment.