Multiboxing ToS Question

I’ve reviewed the post where broadcasting software and automation software was banned. And I’m aware I can Multi-box in the sense of manually switching between clients.

And I’m aware of what broadcasting software does and popular versions of broadcasting software.

I’m just wondering if it’s against TOS to have software which allows you to bind separate keys to different clients without haven’t to toggle between them as the active program. So long as each key press is associated with one, and only one action.

For example. I press “1” and an ability is executed on client 1 (no command sent to client 2), and I press “shift+1” and an ability is executed on client 2 (no command sent to client 1).

This cannot be done by default as windows and MacOS both only send commands to a single “active” program at a time - but can be accomplished fairly trivially with custom scripting or 3rd party software.

And an extension to this question: if actions like I’ve described above are allowed - can the software used to do this actions be software which also supports broadcasting commands (so long as that feature is not used)

1 Like

No, and no.

Anything that extends functionality past what you can do yourself in-game isn’t going to be allowed.

11 Likes

I understand the “no” and “no” but this additional bit doesn’t make any sense.

1. You can already play 2 clients at the same time. You can also hotkey within windows to switch the active programs so you don’t have to mouse between clients or whatever. So in essence. You can already do 1 for client 1, and then shift (windows hotkeyed to change active program), 1 for client 2. It’s just can’t be shift+1. If you’re willing to edit the driver for your keyboard - you could get the shift+1 functionality.

2. A lot of addons already extend functionality through logging and writing information to disk. Your API allows for this to occur out of combat with almost no restrictions, and compacting multiple interface commands into a single button press is what a lot of addons do.

Could I get the definition of “extends functionality” that you are using.

If you cannot do something natively ingame - if it requires additional programs, you’d be best to totally avoid it.

12 Likes

First, I would like to say that I appreciate your good faith in answering this questions. And I’m not continuing to ask questions out of some malicious intent, I legitimately don’t understand your answers.

Astral Keys
Weak Auras
Nova World Buffs
DBM
BigWigs

All addons that communicate with other installations of the same addon on different clients to accomplish things you cannot natively accomplish in game.

There are countless logging addons that communicate with centralized resources to accomplish things which cannot be natively accomplished in game, AND cannot be accomplished through player communication and coordination either.

What is the concrete difference between the cases above and what I’m talking about.

One is executed through the addon interface which is allowed by Blizzard. If they don’t want it, they will block or remove parts of it.

The other is you executing code on Windows itself, through scripting or third party software that is essentially not through the ingame interface.

6 Likes

I’m going to be frank here: You’re not going to get a green light on this matter and Orlyia already gave her piece on the matter. Add-ons work within Blizzard’s sandbox, the API can do what Blizzard only allows. If they don’t like how an add-on is working? They cut it off. Blizzard has control over the general use of add-ons. What you’re asking is external systems that can easily be abused.

8 Likes

That would be a yes, it is against the ToS. What you are talking about is considered broadcasting software, because it “broadcasts” to the inactive window.

You need to manually switch between the two to preform any actions for it not to be against the ToS.

8 Likes

1 action per keystroke if it requires a seperate progam that works out side blizzard sandbox thats only asking for trouble.

4 Likes

I’m not super interested in community feedback here - I really want to see the blizzard black and white policy which outlines this.

I can take the no - I just want to know the why. And the community managers replying here don’t make the policy, and they can’t “green light” me anyways. I just want to see what the actual rules are so I know them.

Logging software that uses centralized resources do not solely use the addon interface.

I don’t want her piece, I want the blizzard written policy. And I’m sure Orlyia can speak for themselves.

All this can be accomplished natively within windows. Which is why I’m asking for the blizzard written policy on this.

Read the terms of use.

9 Likes

She already gave you why - if you’re not allowed to use in-game function for X to do Y, then it isn’t allowed.

9 Likes

Policy Update for Input Broadcasting - May 2021 - Community / General Discussion - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

10 Likes

Okay. So I can’t mirror commands across clients, but there is no policy regarding the means by which unique commands are sent to 1, and only 1, client - thank you that’s what I wanted.

I’m think we are going to see you again when they suspend your account. You really shouldn’t push it

12 Likes

The amount of people coming out of the woodwork with their opinion when someone asks to see a policy is astounding .

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Then read the TOS or submit a ticket, this forum is not a one on one with Blizzard.

9 Likes

Imgur

Specifically: “or to automate or streamline multi-boxing in any way.”

12 Likes

Anyone in good standing can post here just because you dont like the correct answers doesnt make our. Answers wrong on this note i think were done here.

9 Likes

The bold part is the related part.

6 Likes