Multiboxing should be bannable

Perhaps you should retain a real lawyer to pursue this.

It’s not an advantage- because you can do EXACTLY the same.

That is not at all what happened. The bot maker did not use any Blizzard IP at all. It simply sent keystrokes to the game client.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glider_(bot)

Glider , also known as WoWGlider or MMOGlider , was a [bot] created by MDY Industries, which interoperated with World of Warcraft.
In July 2008, the court entered summary judgment holding MDY Industries liable for [tortious interference] and [copyright infringement]

[Public Knowledge], a public interest group which filed an [amicus] brief in the case, criticized the decision, saying it makes the loading into memory of legally obtained software an act of copyright infringement subject to high statutory penalties

Blizzard set court precedent that allows any software maker to use criminal copyright law to enforce their EULA.

I know what I should be ignoring, but the schadenfreude is too strong.

1 Like

From the article you linked:

As of 2008, it had sold approximately 100,000 copies

they sold a service by proxy of Blizzard’s IP. You want to tell me that the botters were not in the wrong and they shouldn’t have gotten sued? LOL

A Blizzard customer support representative refused to expressly approve of this software:

He goes on to say that multiboxing is not prohibited, despite the fact that the software directly falls under the Cheating clause of the EULA as it is worded.

Blockquote The general rule of thumb is one character/instance of WoW per core (for optimal performance).

I core per client and 2 cores for O/S at minimum.

2 Likes

They only directly address “code” and “software” in their definition of cheating. Not hardware.

Web browsers? They don’t interact with the game or platform and therefore do not need any authorization.

To be clear, he says that multiboxing is not prohibited, without commenting at all about the EULA.

2 Likes

Except it doesn’t. You made that part up entirely on your own by reinterpreting the EULA into a twisted shadow of itself.

Yeah? And? That’s my point. They’ve said that multiboxing is allowed. They’ve also never said that multiboxing can only be done through hardware. That means that they’re authorizing the use of multiboxing software.

So looking up something on Wowhead doesn’t facilitate gameplay in any way?

are you going to address the fact that these innocent botters sold a service to WoW players using WoW?

Unfortunately a fan-based wiki would not be considered express authorization in any sense. If they wanted to expressly allow it, they could easily do so. But they don’t, and actively avoid it by refusing to comment on specific software. All the while the EULA expressly forbids it.

So you have to draw your own conclusions about why this discrepancy exists.

1 Like

Expressly? Show me. I seem to have missed anything in the EULA which expressly mentions multiboxing at all.

expressly

adverb
ex·​press·​ly | \ ik-ˈspres-lē

Definition of expressly

1 : in an express manner : explicitly
“expressly rejected the proposal”

2 : for the express purpose : particularly, specifically
“made expressly for me”

Synonyms: explicitly, clearly, directly, plainly, distinctly, unambiguously

Providing a link to that fan-based wiki on their official website is a tacit approval of the contents of that third party site.

Easy. No such discrepancy actually exists. It’s just some mountain you’ve carefully crafted out of an imaginary molehill.

Blizzard does actively support addons, though. They use the WoW API which is supported. They may not support them very well, but they will help people with using the API.

Projecting. That person made straight up better points than you in fewer words lol…

1 Like

Devs confirmed it on these very forums. The fan-based wiki, while not a credible primary source by any means, is just regurgitating the info.

They are. It is allowed.

Because it’s third-party that Blizzard themselves will not go out of their way to spend money, time, and energy in order to do so.

It would be like if Blizzard has to endorse each and every individual addon just so that it’s Blizzard™ approved, according to this expectation that you have set up for them. In that case, they would just bake this level of customization into the settings menu.

What they instead do is allow addons to be able to use “x” information, which limits what the addons are able to do.

In the case of multiboxing, the same ethos applies. They won’t go out of their way to make their own multiboxing software because it’s a waste of time. Instead, they will, again, limit what third party software is able to do. One key stroke, per account. If the software automates this process by any other means, it could be botting. But it’s not. Because one key still = one action per account.

4 Likes

In many cases other documents written by the author(s) of a legal document have been examined to discover the intent of those authors, to guide the court’s decision.

In the case of tomatoes, common usage was used because that was the only guide to intent. When the author(s) have specified their intent, any documents they made containing that specification gain legal import.