Megathread: Ogres as Playable Allied race

This is a thread to ask for Ogres as an incoming allied race for the horde, and explain how they could join in the halls of playable races and why they should be playable.

this thread will serve also as suggestion for WoW DEV team, since they asked for feedback and suggestions on the upcoming Allied Races to be introduced.

The old thread was confined int he other forum so i decided to do another one, with no images sadly, not even links cause i can’t yet, hopeful i can edit it later.

This topic carry the desire and expectations of a forgotten player base who is ignored since Vanilla WoW, it is shame that so many races are added to the horde but ogres didn’t have their chance yet.

Shoutout to Rickflairwoo, this topic will have his points as well to make it more rich, is a megathread and i hope we can share all our thoughs, ideas and support about the Ogres

First, before you come here to bash the idea, say a big no about ogres, with a lot of headcanon, misconception and errors about our big boys, go to the second post of the topic it is the FAQ, it work a bit like a TL:DR.
But please have a bit of empathy and try to understand the desire

Content of this post:

1. Why Ogres? and why horde?
    1. Why Now?
    1. Why Not Something Else?
    1. Ogres, a brief history
    1. How and from where they could join the Horde
    1. Possible Ogres Classes
    1. Possible Racials
    1. Possible racial Leader
    1. Ogre racial Mount
    1. Heritage armor
    1. Ogre Starting Area
    1. Customization
    1. Conclusion
  • 14 FAQ

1. Why Ogres? and why horde?

The answer is simple, there is rather large history of their cohabitation.

Ogres and their lore have been a part of the Horde since before the first war and have been involved as recently as the Legion Invasion.

You might be surprised to find out Ogres were originally recruited into the Horde by Blackhand in exchange for Shelter from their Gronn Masters. They participated in the war against the Draenei and were even involved in the infamous assault on Shattrath.

During the Second War Ogres were used widely in the Horde as enforcers, keeping infighting between the clans to a minimum.

There are still Ogre clans that are a part of the Horde:

• Dunemaul — Found in Tanaris. Recruited into the Horde by Megs Dreadshredder.
  • Mok’Nathal clan — A clan consisting of half-ogres, ogres and orcs, found mainly in Blade’s Edge Mountains. Led by Leoroxx.
  • Stonemaul clan — Found in Feralas and Dustwallow Marsh. Recruited into the Horde after Rexxar killed their former chieftain, Kor’gall.
  • The Gorian empire - potential candidates to join our horde, since they are allies of the iron Horde, who now sided with the Horde in the form of maghar orcs and now came into our world in the amghar recruitment scenario.

2. But Why Now?

To be blunt, it’s overdue. Take into consideration other races that were added to the game that have little to no pre-existing Lore behind them that were thrust into the game.

One of the most important reason is aesthetic, the horde barely feels horde, and is not about elves, is about how blizzard portrait the horde.

we need go back to our roots, at least a biit, to feel the tribal and barbaric characteristics of the horde once again, and the perfect boys to the job are the Ogres.

And why precisely now? the allied race system allows to the dev team work in anything who have 2 legs to make then possible in a easy, practice and iterative way.

They also can occupy the niche of the giant and the Cyclops race this game lack of.

3. And Why Not Something Else?

Besides the previously mentioned lore reasons the answer is logistics.

Ogres are not the most popular choice thats true, but they are one of the most popular and desired races among horde players, This is actually important. If a new race was placed on solely one faction (say a new species of Elves) this could throw off a very delicate Horde to Alliance ratio. Similar to how Blizzard brought some sort of balance to the factions with Blood Elves

Ogres are a classic Horde race, long asked and waited, but they will not disrupt population ratio between horde and alliance since mostly already horde players will want play then, unlike vulpera, that both factions want.

And simple because its their time already, i think other races can wait a bit, since ogre waited for more than 10 years

4. Ogres, a brief history, the Children of Stone

Ogres can trace their lineage back to Grond, the enormous stone giant created by the titan Aggramar to defeat the Evergrowth and the plant-like Sporemounds, they are large, brutish humanoids of notable strength native to Draenor, which they refer to as Dawgar (“the Known Earth” in their language). The ogres were originally enslaved by their progenitors, the ogron. Eventually, the ogre hero Gog the Gronnslayer showed that it was possible to kill the gronn, which both ogres and ogron revered as godlike beings, and he became the founder of the Gorian Empire that would come to rule much of Draenor for centuries

• Grond Facing the Evergrowth

5. How they could join The horde.

Actually there are ogres living in Azeroth, outland and AU Draenor, Ogres playable could come from all those places, The best shot is with the Gorian ogres so lets stick with then for a bit.

• DRAENOR OGRES, THE GORIAN EMPIRE JOIN THE HORDE

-This is my favorite suggestion, i know many dislike WoD, but i liked, and i loved the Gorian ogres, they have an amazing and unique culture, similar of the old roman and gladiator styles, no other race share this kind of culture.

Just imagine how amazing would be, if the horde go to AU Draenor and bring their ogres to be playable, the chain quest would be helping the ogres to rebuild the fabulous Gorian empire.

With the maghar of Draenor joining the Horde this open a path of a lot possibilites to do with the planet.

the maghar, when they were iron horde, were allied with the Ogres, they could help us to recruit then once again.

This became even more easy with the recruitment scenario of the maghar orcs, since when they escaped the planed they bring a lot of ogres and grons to our world, they are already there ready to be playable we just need a good chainquest, who could be traveling back to save more ogres or even save the emperor of Goria.

HOW THEY SHOULD JOIN:

Basically with the help of the maghar or even another ogre Hero ( who could ascend to the emperor position), you would help the ogres to rebuild the Gorian empire here in Azeroth, rally the ogres of this world and found another potency.

6. Ogre classes:

Warrior, Hunter, Priest, Mage, Shaman, Warlock, Monk, Paladin, death knight and Rogue

• Reasons: for the classes

Warrior, Hunter, Priest, Mage, Shaman, Warlock are general classes of ogres and almost all other races, is a go-to-go.

Monk: the pandarens have plenty of time to train some ogres, and they are brewmasters by nature.

Rogue: a bit odd, but they do exist…and one of then is your follower in the Garrison ( if pandarens and kul’tirans can, ogres can too)

(i bet you didn’t saw him)

There are also the pirate ogre from bfa dungeon, perfect exemple of rogue outlaw

Death knight: only if the ogres come from azeroth, the Draenor ones would not be DKs, but its worth the mention.

Paladin: is just a idea, you don’t need to be angry, ogres have a wargod, the ogres paladins could work like roman gladiators of Goria in the faith of their war god, only if needed, not a big deal.

7. Possible Racials

Craftsman of the Titans

• Increases mining and enchantment expertise
    with the magic of aggrammar, the the Avenger, ruining trough the ogres body, they have the ability to craft and enchant beyond expectations

Grond Inheritance

• Increases resistance to physical and arcane damage
  • Increases all physical and arcane damage dealt
    Ogres trace their linage back to Ground, the enormous stone giant created by Aggramar to defeat the Evergrowth and the plant-like Sporemounds to save Draenor, with this bloodline they have an strong body and a grand connecion to the arcane magic

Gladiator’s Dexterity

• Versatility increased by 1%
    Ogres are master of the arena, such as , Highmaul Coliseum, the Stonemaul Arena, the Maul, the Ring of Trials, the Ring of Blood and the Circle of Blood. they are born fighters and duelists, their experience in this style grant then advantage against his foes.

The scream of the Giant

• Horror everyone in an small area around the Ogre for 1s
    The ogres are giants, their merely presence terrify lesser foes, but when he unleash his haunting battle-cry, no one can stand

( i though about a stun, but everyone seem to have a stun…maybe something different would be cool).

8. Racial leader

• The new ogre emperor or empress of goria

. Racial mount

• updated armored boar

Or an armored lion, to resemble the roman empire, would be cool

10. Heritage armor

11. Ogre hub/starting area

• The Highmaul in Draenor

https://i2.wp.com/wowinsanos.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/7.jpg

12. Customization

The customization will not include the 2-heads options, some feedback and myself decide that we should not go for this route, since it will be a lot hard to implement, and would be a factor against then

12.1. Skin Color

7 color options

Without clothes

12.2 Horn style
Imgur

12.3 - Face/eye option

12.4 - Hair option

i dunno, this and the others i let for blizz to decide, or someone with good skills (unlike me, who did the lame work above)

12.5 - Beard options

12.6 - Scar/features options

12.7 - Tattoos
Cause every allied race from now on will have tattoos

13. conclusion

Metzen himself had said they (Blizzard developers) almost introduced Ogres during Cataclysm. Everyone knows that Ogres belong in the game, even if they are not the most popular race, So give the big boys a chance.

326 Likes

That would require thought and innovation. Best I can do is vulpera.

38 Likes

13. FAQ

1. Ogres are too big! they can’t be playable because they are too big! they will not fit trough doors!!

Incorrect my dear friend, yes, some ogres are rly big, like cho’gal and imperador Mar’gok, but not all of then. Accord with the RPG book ( disclaimer they are not canon) ogre stand at the spawn of 6ft to 25ft

However, the canon source in the wow travelers book and other medias say they are average about 6ft to 8ft tall, with the females (yeah i will go there in time) generally smaller than the males

you may think, " hey but this is still rly tall! they still can’t be playable !", wrong again, taurens are 10ft tall in lore, and they are playable just fine

1. ogres do not have females! they are a race with only males!

Incorrect, ogres do have females, thats how they have pretty big ogre babies, the thing is, the female model was never showed ingame.

However we do know how ogres females look or could look like

This is what a ogre female look like in the wow travelers book ( this book is awesome i recommend you to read, show a lot of things about wow behind the scenes of the game )

an ogre girl:

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowpedia/thumb/b/bc/Traveler-Ogres.jpg/198px-Traveler-Ogres.jpg?version=2bcc52979e25d4f76a84fd1980650e2d

and an adult/mature female ogre:

So yeah they have females, we just need blizzard artists to create one, and they have the ability to do something incredible

1. Ogres are sworn enemies of the Horde, they hate orcs, and orcs hate then!

Not all wrong, but not all right, some ogres do hate orcs, and some orcs do hate ogres, But those are exceptions, the ogres were part o the horde in the second war, in the warcraft 2 and in the Warcraft III: The frozen thone, in the orc campaign the stonemaul clan joined the horde with the leadership of rexxar against the proudmoore forces of kul’tiras, in the attack of kalindor

In the burning cursade the moknothal clan (made by ogres, orcs and hal-breeds) joined the horde

in Cataclysm the dunemal ogres of Tanaris joined the horde

The iron horde (who basically will be the horde allies in the form of the maghar) also had ogres in their ranks

so yeah, they don’t hate each others so often

1. they are too stupid to be playable!

Not true, some of then are indeed, but is just the “peon” and generic stereotype treatment, there are a lot of intelligent and smart ogres and they make the finest and most powerful mages, like we find out in Gorian empire

1. EEEWW they are ugly!

Personal point of view, people tend to like different type things, to me and others ogres are pretty and cool

1. i don’t want then!

you don’t need to play with then, there are lot of other races to pick, is about time to throw a bone to the other kind of playerbase, don’t be selfish

1. i want more elves!

DansGame

62 Likes

Isn’t that the next alliance race?

14 Likes

alternatively: AZEROTH OGRES: THE STONEMAUL CLAN OFFICIALLY JOIN THE HORDE

There at least 2 ogres clans already in the horde, the Stonemaul clan who live in Dustwallow Marsh and the Dunemaul in Tanaris.

the Stonemaul clan have strong ties with the horde, Rexxar, champion of the horde, defeated their former chieftain, assuming the leadership, then bring then to the Horde to fight against the mighty army of Daelin proudmoore who wished to wipe the orcs and trolls

" the war with the alliance rages on, the horde know they will need powerful allies to bust their ranks and to survive against their enemies, and they know they will need all the horde forces, they need seek upon old allies to finally firm those ties.

Rexxar former chieftain of the Stonemaul clan has back from the campaign against the Legion to fight the alliance once again, and finally bring the ogres into the horde "

HOW THEY SHOULD JOIN:

• Rexxar former chieftain of the stonemaul clan back to the war reclaim his leadership and unleash the ogres against the alliance, bursting our ranks.

• The scenario would be similar to the Warcraft 3 campaign, when he left to outland, Rexxar pass the mantle of leader to another ogre, who he think was worthy, but slowly he become greedy and didn’t vare for his people.

Refusing to pass the leadership to Rexxar, they would fight in a mak’gora like the good old times

• The reputation to grind for recruiting the stonemaul ogre could be helping then create a new small place for they live in the ruins of Theramore, their own ogre city

29 Likes

I don’t see them as an allied race, more of a core race.

72 Likes

You didn’t even read, how can you assume something so wrong?

you can do…? are you ion

is it? i hope so

I did read. the lore and all that is there for them to be in it. You would need this small indie company to provide rigs and adjust everything in the game like transmogs for such a unique model. Simple thing for a company the size of blizzard, but their laziness in terms of modeling for mount rigs and artistic creativity (outside of the zone arts, the zones are good) will provide a task and most likely a broken and buggy one. Supposed budget cuts aren’t doing them much good either.

8 Likes

@Syegfryed…mostly already horde players will want play then, unlike vulpera, that both factions want.

Au contraire mon frère. I personally don’t understand the fascination with Ogres. But, I’d rather play an Ogre than the idiotic Vulpera.

15 Likes

you post literally a few seconds after i create the topic. i could not even create the other post right below, and i had the thing in ctrl-c, there is no way you could read everything, and still say there is not way to do, cause would require “though and innovation”

They did with nightborne, highmountain and lighforged draenei, they basically created a new race with zandalari and kul’tirans, they can sure do with ogres too ( and btw, they would have to do the same with vulpera anyway) .

Fair, but taste is subjective, a lot of alliance players did want vulpera too, and i bet some of then would even change factions for it, something would not happen with ogres that much.

7 Likes

Yikes I’m not reading that lmao.

so, like i said, you didn’t read LUL

15 Likes

Nope, I did the first time. Just saw post that went off my screen on the second one, didn’t care for the reply.

I think it would be neat if one of the AU Ogres that came with the Mag’har travels to see what became of his people and gets angry that they all live in mud huts and dirt mounds and teaches them how to be like the AU Ogres.

Having them gain some semblance of technology and military tactics.

18 Likes

I haven’t read the whole thing yet but I can tell you spent a lot of time on this, well done. +1

I have always thought Ogres should have been a part of the Horde since the very beginning. I wouldn’t personally play one but I think it would be awesome if they became playable!

24 Likes

Considering that the majority of the Horde population is BE, I am pretty sure this would be a waste of resources on implementing a race that likely will see the same level of racial adoption as goblins.

5 Likes

I expect to see a lot of helfers supporting this sad idea. :-1:

3 Likes

Taurens were not much popular and they still get a allied race spot with the highmountain.

Goblins are still common, they are not a huge sucess, but they were important but playable and lore-wise, see how much the horde evolved with technology

The point of allied races is exactly cut the resources, and implement then in a Easy way.

Sadly i can’t post images, i was planing to do a lot more, to show things more visually.

3 Likes

Yes please! I want to play a two headed Ogre! I don’t see what would be so difficult about adding that customization option.

15 Likes

Would love to see playable Ogres on the Horde and playable Nagas (real Nagas, none of this deep ocean Jinyu garbage) on the Alliance, particularly after we deal with Azshara/N’Zoth later this expansion.

Weren’t both these races on pace to be the BC player races until they needed to attract Asian audiences with BEs and determined Nagas were too hard to pull off?

8 Likes