LFR (Looking for Raid) , good or bad

If they put it in, just put it in as it was originally implemented is my thought.

Considering the original creator of that feature said it’s one of his biggest regrets, I would say it’s objectively worse for the game then it is positive. I would rather they just keep normal mode easy enough to PuG, and keep heroic for guilds and keep LFR FAR away from Classic.

1 Like

Thats what normal people did back then. They simply didn’t care. I will never understand why people have such strong feelings about LFR unless they were that bad and had to do LFR to see the raid.

2 Likes

Ghostcrawler is a meme at this point, he also regrets creating wow fyi

1 Like

But those were some the main reason most of us were doing them
 I just think this scenario is the least likely. If LFR makes it in, I think it will definitely have the same loot.

It will. It should.

To me, LFR has its place in the wow raiding scene. WoW caters to all levels of player skill.

It’s most apparent value is to the player that otherwise cannot commit time to do actual raids, or lacks the skill or commitment to learn to play the game at a baseline level to do normal 10 man raids. Its a training wheels difficulty. In this category there are noobs and trolls, and they can make LRF very upsetting. But there are also dads and kids and newer players. And LFR is an easy way to see and learn mechanics in place of or in addition to watching the generic how-to videos.

Good for all players is that LFR is also bite size, and is a nice game to play when you only have an hour before you need to log off, or before your real raid or other activity starts.

LFR also has value to normal/heroic raiders and even top parsers to fill in missing tier or other gaps in gearing due to bad rng in the first few weeks after a patch or with alts that don’t get as much game time.

There are two things that I think should be addressed in its implementation however. I don’t know how to correctly address these, just that they are the biggest obstacles to making this system work smoothly and painlessly.

1. Adjust the “mechanics” so that it is harder for a single person to intentionally or through lack of skill to wipe the raid. That or somehow make it easier to kick/replace that player. Or maybe even ramp up the fail buff faster. LFR should not need to be progged - a boss should take 1-5 kills max, even for the worst of groups
    1. Fix the loot distribution so it is less vulnerable to unwanted loot funneling, off-spec “needing” or other grief. There have been many iterations of this, but I think personal loot makes the most sense. It took many years and expansions but this is what we landed with in retail eventually for a reason.

There’s my two cents on the topic.

2 Likes

Treating LFR as its own difficulty instead of just as a group-making tool is a discriminatory process the company uses to herd the casual playerbases around like cattle, at the behest of the raiding elite.

The entire raiding culture is dependent on the guild infrastructure and the manual pugging scene.

It also applies to arena; anywhere there is no random queue system.

Tier should have never been in LFR. The bonuses are too powerful.

The shared trinkets on LFR difficulty are better than the heroic trinkets that aren’t the shared trinkets, esp bone link fetish.

LFR gurthalak is better than a heroic specimen slicer.

2 Likes

You are always fixated on this belief that people are somehow keeping you from things, aren’t you?

1 Like

And if I don’t want to go through a guild or manual PuG to run a raid/dungeon?

Yes.

PPL like you are standing in the way of automated queue systems, LFR, arena soloQ, RDF

If ppl like you had the power to do so, you would remove random BGs from the automated queue system.

1 Like

the rewards lfr gave were too good. Lower the rewards and i’d be more happy with it.

1 Like

Here’s a perfect example of players trying to exert control over others with the removal of automated queue systems

That’s from the OP from that particular topic

That’s from another poster agreeing with the OP from that particular topic; a hypocrite, if I may add, who has masqueraded to be a champion of RDF when he has a history of flip-flopping.

Hey I recognize that post.
(I haven’t read the responses to it yet.)

And yeh, some things I would like left out of the game. It’s called preferences.

If I advocated “Skip leveling, dungeons, and raids, just give me the best gear in the game for $10 so I can go do BGs all day.” And you (presumably) said “Hey that’s probably not a good idea as it would eliminate a good chunk of the game; character progression, PvE, etc
”
Don’t you think it would be just a little asinine to try to dismiss my opinion as “trying to control how you play” ?

TL;DR: Your “players trying to exert control over others with the removal of automated queue systems
” is my “trying to preserve what made the original game much better than late Wrath forward.”

1 Like

I didn’t say any of the above regarding skipping. You must have confused me with another poster.

What I did say regarding control is, I don’t want to manually look for groups just because you don’t feel that the automated queue systems are good for the game. That’s where it becomes subjective

You think the lack of RDF makes the game better, I think it makes it worse.

1 Like

No
 try reading it again.

And I don’t want to feel like I’m in a single player game surrounded by other people.

(Which is exactly what RDF is
players ignoring the whole world around them waiting for a queue to pop
can’t get involved in questing with someone because your queue might pop and that would leave them hangin- so why bother?)

You’re allowed to think that, but it’s also the beginning of what made retail
 retail.

(The “treadmill of content engagement” becomes really obvious when you’re doing it as a solo player. )

Rdf got me out into the world more since I didn’t have to focus on chat and could just quest. But I don’t get why players want to quest with other people. The game is designed to do the vast majority of quests solo. When you group for solo quests the group is so over powered it’s boring. Groups are for dungeons and raids.

2 Likes

nah i’d like to try to raid w/o meetin up with the boys on the dime whenever.

1 Like

That only started in TBC, and ramped up majorly in Wrath.

(Eliminating the elite zones, practically removing elite quests, etc
)

2 Likes

I did and I found your hypothetical condescending, which is why I didn’t elaborate beyond that.

That’s a contradiction on your part. You see, you don’t even argue in good faith, which is then bolstered by your ridiculous premise below

I don’t need to think that.

I have empirical experience playing both through vanilla-classic, TBC, and now, Wrath classic

To know that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

That’s you defining what makes a solo player. You’re no different that than rogue that calls me the same thing.

1 Like

That’s nonsense. There are almost no quests that need a group in vanilla. There’s a rare quest chain that ends with an elite mob. That’s it.

1 Like