Layering - Good or Bad?

i’m hoping the layer is tagged to your characters on that server, so it persists thru out its life cycle. you’ll always be on that layer.

1 Like

Then again, the question arises what if everyone just tried to invite everyone else to the same layer in the main city.

crash? hehe

1 Like

You are blaming people who spoke up about it. Are you mentally ill? We warned you, we where right.

1 Like

This sounds horrible. In my mind it does the same thing sharding does, but maybe even worse.

I get that it’s ok in the beginning, and I’m ok with it at launch…but all of phase 1?

If it’s gone a LOT sooner than phase 2, I’m ok with it. However, if we have this for 6-10+ months, I’m going to hate it. It destroys so much of the purpose of Classic from my perspective.

The longer it’s in, the worse effects it’ll have. I sincerely hope this isn’t the thing that wrecks Classic for me…

1 Like

I can admit to being wrong. I thought the sharding technology used on BfA was done by continent, and it appears to have been in the early days of its use. I thought this would have to be changed to a per-zone basis if they were to live up to their “sharding in the early zones” word.

Now, it appears I had it backwards. It’s being changed to a continent or game-wide “layer” system and it may be used for longer than was originally implied. I was wrong; I’m sorry that this system is likely to extend further than I imagined it would.

That was quite the stress there bud. I am saying people were complaining about sharding at launch and acted like that was the end of the world. Now this is worse.

The layers arent static though. You can log out and log into a different layer.

Your phrasing was off then. I would rather have sharded zones from 1-40 for a few months. This entire change is the stupidest thing ever.

What about guilds? Are people going to be phased away from guilds perma? Why would they even do cross server in the first place. You will never see those people again anyhow.

2 Likes

Lol so you go and do the same thing you were criticizing me for.

Don’t blame me because you misinterpreted it my dude.

i dont think it’ll be worse if they tweak it thusly:

• not allow people who are dueling or flagged for pvp to change layers

• make resource gathering specific to the layer you are assigned to. meaning you can go level with friends/family on different layer but cant mine nodes or pick herbs or loot corpses or skin mobs. you’ll only be able to gain xp

• make that layer stay with the characters till its done.whatever layer you had when you started, stays with your character.

• allow the player to select which layer they want to call home

By what I heard in the interview, you’re bound to the layer your character is created in, but you can still get invited to a group from a person on another layer and then you get pashed to that layer, once you leave the group, you will return to your original layer. The problem is that info is scatered among several people who went to the meeting.

They should make it so that you only can loot quest objectives when you go to another layer.

1 Like

Im glad you dont work for blizzard.

me too. lol

So we’ll be playing dark souls?

well that solves the persistent layer question. thats good news. now for the pvp issue and the resource farming issue.

Something like that.

They want to cram as much people as possible inside a few realms and once they see realm pops stabilizing, they will take layers and turn those layers into new realms. Each layer will have their own database.

Again, this is what I understood by watching some interviews. Better wait for a blue post.

Still I stick by what I said on the forums, I was ok with sharding on the 1-10 zones and for a few weeks, this is unacceptable.

It sounds like garbage. So because your friend logged in 5 min after you and got thrown into a different layer you can only ever interact when in a group. So youll never be able to get in into a guild with them? And in the case that your servers pop doesn’t die off youll be in a completely different server? Wtf.

1 Like

why is it unacceptable?

thats why i said they should let you select the layer you want to make your characters on. like when you click the server name,it drops down a menu with the layers listed on it and you select your choice for your permanent layer. then you can just tell your friends or family, which layer to make their characters on - like stormrage2.