It's time.. Frost DK and 2 handed weapons

What was the original Frost spec?

As all three of the specs, it was a combination DPS/Tank spec. It massively favored two handed weapons to the point that Threat of Thassarian had to be made.

3 Likes

At which point Frost has been primarily…dual wield. Thanks for playing.

1 Like

Frost was the ideal tank spec back when it came out. You had a ton of defensive cool downs. Blood was more of a sustain tank with hysteria meant your furry warriors would wreck I used it as an off tank. Unholy was just dps but I used two spell pen swords. With full spell pen gems. So ya. For me unholy was the two one handed spec.

2 Likes

So I and everyone else must have gone crazy to see all these frost dks running around with a 2h weapon until legion? Yes it supported dw and 2h.

So yea take your own advice. The fact that someone wants something that you do not and you get on and rage shows your real character. Good luck in the real world when no one wants what you do. I am sure you will be one of those that stand in the road screaming and having a fit about how life isn’t fair.

4 Likes

No, it didn’t. Threat of Thassarian didn’t make Dual Wield out perform two handers at all, because Obliterate scaled (and still does) best with slow weapon speeds. Dual wield performed okay frost strike damage, but two hander out performed in every other arena but Frost Strike.

And since you don’t know any of this, it seems a whole lot like you weren’t around in WotLK. Especially since you errantly claimed that Threat of Thassarian had been in the game since WotLK’s launch.

5 Likes

Yes, it has. One ability’s scaling does not make the entire spec, especially when you’re citing a poorly scaling ability. You are completely ignoring that dual-wield generated roughly 2.5 times the number of Killing Machine procs (before Haste), and passively dealt 10% more Frost damage. And that’s before even considering ToT. Two-handed never had a chance with it’s utter lack of synergy with the spec.

They literally didn’t even claim this. You are plainly lying here. The spec did not need ToT to function as dual-wield, and had a very clear design benefitting from it.

It needed it to compete. He has lied repeatedly, stating that dual wield has outshone 2hand since wotlk’s launch. This was only, ever, true upon Legion.

3 Likes

With Unholy. Two-hand Frost wasn’t even in the competitive picture unless you were tanking in Wrath, and even that wasn’t really in the picture at the time ToT was added. Tanking was Blood or bust at that point.

He told the truth, for the most part. Two-hand Frost had one moment to shine in Highmaul. That was it. Take any amount of time to look at logs and you can see that your statement is demonstrably false. Dual-wield was almost always the superior spec due to the obvious design.

1 Like

Lie.

Dual wield’s dps was so spit poor that people (correctly) complained on the forums ad nauseum until ToT was made, because there was no reason to go dual wield. Dude, the specs weren’t black and white back then like they are now. You dipped into each tree for a little bit of everything. Sure, you got the last trait in one tree (usually) but this whole “HURR DURR COMPETE WITH UNHOLY” thing wasn’t a thing.

3 Likes

If I remember correctly at least on my server most DK’s were either blood or frost. No one like unholy they said it did not have the dps that frost did. Of those frost dk’s there was only one or two that DW most where using 2h weapons. And I remember some of the top raiding guilds on our server had frost dk’s using 2h’s. and they were up there on the charts.

3 Likes

I have mained FDK since Cata and I can assure you 2H Frost NOT just good in Highmaul. Infact the only raid I can think of off the top of my head where dual wield was better than 2H frost was Hellfire Citadel. It was rare to see dual wield frost.

Unholy was the top dog through most of WoD.

5 Likes

Can confirm.

4 Likes

Without ToT Dual-Wielding did horrible damage. Frost Strike and Obliterate used to be main-hand attacks. The originally-stable mechanics with 2H got dampened so could start doing awkward left-hooks with our main abilities. It was 2H that was here first and it was better than DW. That is a demonstrable fact and anyone that says otherwise is being intellectually dishonest and/or didn’t even have the game with DK’s came out.

3 Likes

Remember when WoW was an RPG and you could choose how to build your character. I could choose either 2H or Dual Wield sure one would be better than the other from time to time but did that really matter? I got to play what I liked and enjoyed whats a few percent less dps if I can enjoy the way my class looks again.

Making stuff easier to balance should never come at the cost of player choice.

10 Likes

If it’s demonstrable, then please go ahead and demonstrate it. That’s a claim that you can show us this fact, so please do.

Well said

/10 char

2 Likes

http://worldoflogs.com/
Years of logs show this to be a very incorrect statement. Dual-wield was far from rare, and was much more frequently stronger than 2H if representation shows us anything. Seems incredibly unlikely that the playerbase in the competitive scene would stray away from the supposed stronger option.

It may have been rare in your anecdotal experience, but not at large.

1 Like

Apart from the developers having to add in a passive so Dual-Wielding would actually be used because it sucked so bad? Apart from over ten years of constant buffing and mechanical rearrangements to the spec that involved giving our abilities blanket damage increases so that Dual-Wielding would actually do something beyond tickling in combat? How is that working for us now? Apart from giving Dual-Wielding its own personal double damage buff with Frost Strike because even after the 50% buff it was still Buzz Lightweight? All of these changes occurring while the 2H playstyle had what, the occasional 5-10% damage fluctuation?

3 Likes

So… you can’t demonstrate what you claimed you could. Nice.

1 Like