It's time.. Frost DK and 2 handed weapons

I come to you with a Request Blizzard, make Frost Dk’s Great again. Now before you go off on me about how you don’t like frost dk with a 2hander, lets try and think of a good way to bring it back, Dk is not in a good spot really with the nerf to Unholy and I don’t want to use 1 handers as frost anymore… I want to be like the Lich king again, a slow, lumbering Frost Tank-Dps hybrid Juggernaut. A monster That freezes you in place and Obliterates your skull open. FOR THE HORDE! Thanks for reading. Ill resub if you make this change. :slight_smile:

237 Likes

I’m agree with you due
the dk frost need some buff and use a weapon 2 hand
I agree with you
the dk frost needs increased damage, also something very important!
that the obliterate can take advantage of the mastery! I mean the strongest attack of the dk frost does not take advantage of the mastery because it is a hit of physical category -_-

52 Likes

To make frost dks great again would be giving them a damage buff, not by giving them a silly cosmetic balance option.

28 Likes

I miss having a 2h on my dk. it was 2h dk that had big juicy obliterates right? last time I really played it was WOD, so can’t really remember to well. I just remember hitting hard. I still cap it, but don’t play it too much at cap anymore.

44 Likes

I vote yes.

When they switched Frost to require 2 x 1h, I thought that was pretty dumb.

Wait… Frost originally was 1 x 2h, right? Or did I just make that up? My goodness, my memory is so unreliable nowadays…

29 Likes

You are half right, frost was both single handed and two handed, with the one handers activated the tanking aspect of the class and damage oddly enough. while two handed dk was more in the lines of tank and pvp. As for what Stormydk said, allowing the Dk frost to use a two handed weapon is not a silly cosmetic balance option. would open up the class to be like the Lichking again , if you really look at the class the animations and spell effects are still there when you equip a two hander as frost and the only thing you can’t do is use frost strike and Obliterate. I BET that’s the only change they did was disable it.

22 Likes

How is that not a silly cosmetic change?

6 Likes

I will humor you with this, Emulation is not silly, its honoring our true King… and because two handed weapon are a real thing in the game. You’re derailing the idea with your question of its validity. I will tell you that wanting to wield a two handed weapon is a perfectly legitimate, idea, concept ,and choice as it was when the class came out, as it is today, the only question is why do you think its silly.

24 Likes

Well, a change that Blizzard could make to help 2H be more than cosmetic is change the code of Obliterate to:

(A brutal attack that deals a total of [(60% of Attack power) + (60% of Weapon Damage)] Physical damage).

Could help both scaling issues. More importantly though, Blizzard needs to make weapon speed and damage matter again.

17 Likes

Definately want to see 2h frost again. Don’t Even care if it’s a little worse than dw. Hopefully a solution can be found where both the pro -dw and pro-2h can be happy.

Ion mentioned that they were gonna ease up a lot of transmog restrictions as well as the “hide slots” going forward. Fingers crossed for maybe a mogable option of sorts?

31 Likes

I just wanted Frostmourne in Legion and instead I got Great Value Frostmourne Shard Sticks, and I was really disappointed. I wouldn’t even have cared if FM was one handed and we used an icicle in the offhand.

Oh well. 2H frost isn’t coming back, asking for it is pointless.

12 Likes

The squeaky-ist wheel gets the most oil , I too was disappointed, I also would say that it’s really unfair that the paladins get Ashbringer Yet the Dks didnt get Frostmourne Reforged if anything. With so much potential I can’t understand why they went with this direction. if anything blood should be one handed to better facilitate the high attack speed for aggro.

17 Likes

wheels been squeeking for years and devs have made a point to kill 2h frost since legion by making ablities require one handers

it was reforged into one handers. what ret paladins got in legion is not relevant to dks though.

we can speculate a good number of reasons.

dual wield performed better majority of the specs existence
frost was the only spec with dual wield supporting talents
making the spec different from the other 2hand using specs
less balancing headaches balancing 2 specs in one
etc

that’s not how aggro works in this game

4 Likes

Come on… stop that. don’t try and derail or complain, we want to be constructive here!

YES WE KNOW… its why we are un-happy

just because something is easy, does not mean they should do it.

Are you trying to tell me that auto attacks are not a good way of keeping aggro?
Now who does not know the game? O_o

I enjoy conversation about what could be, I invite you to log onto your main and have a nice discussion with us all.
You start by dreaming and then by making ghouls… I mean goals! yes…" Frostmourn HUNGERS ," YEs I know! making them come true, its called fulfillment the point of the post.

6 Likes

i never said it was easy don’t put words in my mouth. acting as if you cant undstand there are myriad number of reasons why 2h frost was removed in favor of dual wield is being disingenuous.

aggro is generated based on a % of the damage dealt. smaller hits though more frequent generate less aggro. its one of the reasons why dual wield blood was inferior when that was the thing to complain about on forums. there were many threads discussed to death on that topic as well.

yea meant to post on my dk. not that it matters what i post on as it doesn’t invalidate any of my points.

btw i have nothing against them adding a cosmetic option for 2h frost i just find it highly unlikely given blizzards track record on the subject

7 Likes

It’s no secret that it was to make it easier on the designers and make it stand out from the other two weapons. To put words into Blizzard’s mouth, “The player base is stupid.” That’s why we can’t have pvp venders or weapon choices anymore.

It is the 2H playstyle with the appearance of duel-wielding. Which can be argued is cosmetic already considering this abomination is nothing like DW Frost back in Cata, MoP or even WoD. I would have been fine if they made it DW playstyle because then the scaling issues would be a slight problem instead of a huge one.

I pray for a redesign in 9.0.

16 Likes

when frost could use two handers before it was more than a ‘’ silly cosmetic change’’ you literally did your damage differently. One handed frost used to do more damage with frost strike and auto attack faster, whereas 2 handed frost used to hit harder with obliterate but auto attack a lil slower. But when you just reroll to dk b/c its fotm you cant be expected to actually know about the class and its past I guess.

9 Likes

Umm, what is this?

4 Likes

Me remembering the old days when attack speed on weapons matter. silly me I forgot , Activation does not like RPGs anymore.
this is to all
Why do YOU want the frost dks to use 1 handers instead of 2 handers?
Does it hurt you in anyway?
and No a cosmetic change in replace of what would be greatness, will not do, No more Band-aids on a Obliterate wound.

guys! this is a joke when i typed it…

I didn’t , complaining on the company’s behalf :open_mouth: A SPY! complete with " balancing headaches. "

Are you telling me that they could not figure out how to make a Frost DK use a 2 hander? Do you really think so lowly of our new overlords? It was a design dissension Not that it was bad, but because they were being lazy and at the end of WOLTK, they were also bout out by Activation, it didnt help anything. i’m posting for, in good faith, for them to design a NEW 2handed Frost dk. what part of that did you not understand?

8 Likes

anything outside of a completely cosmetic appearance does in fact hurt dual wielders as has been evidenced by the years of balance changes between dual wield and 2h when you had the “choice” between the two. any nerf to reign in one side of the coin or the other always had ripple effects for an already struggling spec.

to make a point both frost specs pre legion expansion was fairly consistently lower middle to one of the worst specs in the game for performance in most content.

once 2h frost was gone in legion dual wield was consistently an upper middle dps to a top contender on some fights for most of legion.

multiple reasons.

its the only spec in the game now that dpses with strength one handers
the spec has objectively performed better as dual wield for a majority of its existence.
it sets it apart from the other 2 specs that use 2handers exclusively.
it keeps razorice rune relevant to the game when runeforging is already a totally outdated mechanic for us.

i’m not saying they couldn’t. obviously they could. however they have made a point that they won’t be doing so as they don’t feel its in their design of what the spec should be. frost from release date has had all the makings of a dual wielding spec based on multiple talents. i understand having something removed is upsetting but at this point its well past time to move on. enhance shamans have been begging for 10+ years now i think for 2h back and its gotten them nowhere

you are making a LOT of assumptions here. We don’t know the devs motives for killing off 2h frost. we can only speculate as players unless they openly come out and say otherwise.

from what has been shared with us pre legion they stated that each spec would have one artifact and that they see frost as a dual wield spec and that it would continue to do so going forward for the foreseeable future. in doing this they stated they wanted to solidify the roles and appearances of what they think specs should be. all similar classes/specs had the same treatment like fury warriors, monks, etc.

as for them taking time designing a whole new 2nd frost spec alongside the current dual wield one? that’s simply not realistically going to happen any time soon.

5 Likes