Is isboxers 'joe multiboxer' allowed for boxers?

Isboxer rebranded as ‘joe multiboxer’ to provide a software tool for boxers.

as the rules are fairly broad… is this allowed or will people get banned for using the rebrand?

Blizzard isn’t going to give you a yes or no answer as it’s a 3rd party addon.

That said, typically anything that runs solely in the addons folder is typically okay as it can’t do anything that Blizz doesn’t want it to do.

However, if it does any sort of key broadcasting, I would steer clear of it. I haven’t looked at this addon myself, so I’m just mentioning it :wink:

Edit to add: This looks to be a third-party software and not an addon. As such, it’s something that you’ll have to use at your own risk. Personally, I’d steer clear of it.

11 Likes

Isboxer’s ‘joe multiboxer’ is an app installed on your machine which uses round robin instead of key broadcasting. technically, 1 key hit goes to 1 screen at a time and is not broadcasting but forces the user to hit the same key numerous times.

other capabilities are accomplished using the standard boxing addons (ie: quest turn-ins, auto-follow, flight path selection, etc)

as blizzard is banning any account using software with certain functionalities, they need to declare whether or not new software crosses the line.

Unfortunately, that’s not how it works. Blizzard doesn’t ever “green-light” specific software. This is especially true when it’s software that they haven’t written and that the author could change at any time.

If it’s a third party software, then it’s up to the user to determine if they feel it’s breaking the rules.

11 Likes

No, they don’t. They implemented this policy to combat botters, and such information is exactly the kind of information they’d be looking for to continue plying their trade.

As Perl mentioned, it’s an at-risk venture for you to determine.

There’s also no guarantee that the developer could change how the program works after it’s been potentially greenlit to conflict with the rule.

Or, I guess another way of looking at it is they do declare whether or not it fits within their rules-- after determining its capability and deciding to suspend or close accounts accessed on the machines that use it.

7 Likes

There have been threads and threads asking this same thing. All of the info they are willing to provide is in those. Here are a couple recent ones:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/please-clarify-new-multiboxing-rules/864878

and

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/falsely-banned-for-multiboxing/863935

The second one is full of discussion about Joe Multiboxer.

I can TL;DR this for you very easily, though:

If you take Joe Multiboxers statement about it not violating Blizzard policy, you do so at your own risk. Blizzard doesn’t check every statement made by every software developer for veracity.

5 Likes

Blizzard stepped into this one when they decided to ban any users of general software. they have to make the decision as software can claim no broadcasting and be within the rules as stated.

hardware boxing allows for all the typical boxing capabilities and more… yet they haven’t banned hardware boxers

we shouldn’t have to resort to reading tea leaves to figure out which software is acceptable and which isn’t.

I addressed this in one of the other threads.

5 Likes

They haven’t banned boxers, period. Only the software that was simultaneously used by botting enterprises.

Again. Your choice to do this is at your own risk.

6 Likes

incorrect. Keyclone cannot be used by botters yet was placed on the same list as isboxer

It’s really not that hard. If software is sending inputs to other machines or other instances of WoW, even if they have a flashing neon sign out front that says “WE SWEAR IT’S LEGAL,” the software is sus.

That’s kind of it. Be wary of software that causes your inputs to appear elsewhere. That’s a bit more cut-and-dried than tea leaves.

5 Likes

Blizzard doesn’t “ban users of general software”. Otherwise, everyone would have their game banned for using video drivers or an operating system.

They ban people who use software that violates their rules. And yes, it is up to us as players to determine if the software we want to use toes-the-line to try and skirt the rules etc.

9 Likes

Their statement was to ban BOTTERS not boxers.

If a user is using software to multibox then it would be legal as per their own words.

Fine, but let’s stick to the thread title, yeah?

We’ve answered this.

3 Likes

general software is software that does not require wow to function. keyclone is one such application and has been used to multibox many different games (and some kiosks) since 2006.

Yes, and keyclone is a perfect example of Key Broadcasting Software which is exactly what was made against the rules.

Now whether or not this other software you’re thinking about using broadcasts anything, is up to you to determine.

9 Likes

What you want to do is start a thread in General entitled:

“Discussion of Valid Software for Multiboxers.”

There’s nothing to be had by coming in here to say some decision Blizz made is wrong. This is customer support. You asked a question, you got an answer. You got valid backup for those answers. You were given recourse.

Is there another policy- or account-related question we could help you with?

5 Likes

Yes… keyclone does broadcast keys, as well as single target, but it cannot be used by botters. just boxers. therefore it shouldn’t be on a ban list if the purpose of the ban list was to stop botters

Let me try to clarify:

Blizzard had to do something about multiboxing bots. Clearly, the most efficient way to do that was to ban input-broadcasting software. They understood this would affect legitimate players as well as the botters.

This is collateral damage. That is, the unintended losses associated with eradicating a larger problem. Fact of life. Fact of business.

So now, this is why we can’t have nice things. The bad guys ruined it for us, and I am sorry for that.

But I will say again:

6 Likes

You seem to be confusing things, so let’s offer some clarification:

They made input broadcasting software against the rules, plus they provided ample warning before they started actioning accounts. Multiboxing has never been against the rules, and still isn’t, but it’s also not supported. Meaning decisions/changes they make do not take the playstyle into account.

Yes, which is part of the reason why multiboxing exists. There is a way to do it using only hardware.

They haven’t banned any multiboxers who follow the rules. Multiboxing is still very much allowed.

Botting has always been banned. The change was to combat botters.

If the software is not breaking the rules.

Also, you mention that a certain software was “placed on the same list”. There is no “list”. Blizzard does not ban individual software applications. They banned a category of applications (input broadcasting), and if an application falls into that category, then don’t use it.

Good for those other games. Blizzard makes their own rules for their game. If they don’t want their players to use input broadcasting software, then those are the rules here.

Some might say you should just play the game, and not resort to trying to skirt as closely to breaking the rules as possible. Be that as it may…

First off, they are not going to give a blanket yes to software they have no control over. Say yes today, the developer changes the software tomorrow, and now there’s a real issue.

But above all, they have declared. No input broadcasting software. If the program you want to use does that, even if they guarantee it’s safe, even if other games allow it, even if your intentions are wholly pure, it’s not allowed.

5 Likes