Please Clarify New Multiboxing Rules

Vrak isn’t going to be able to specify beyond what’s already listed in the article here:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23558957/policy-update-for-input-broadcasting-software

There’s no mention of hardware based broadcasting being banned as such.

4 Likes

I wonder why.

I believe if they wanted to include that hardware based multiboxing was also against the rules, then they just would have added it.

But at the end of the day CS is not involved in such decisions. That’s why they tend to defer to the official communications and public info on what their current policies are.

2 Likes

I would assume they defer unknowns to those who do know, and then return that to the user attempting to get the information. But hey, what do I know.

2 Likes

What unknowns? The article is pretty clear that it’s a change to what’s allowed as far as input broadcasting software goes. It wasn’t an announcement to any changes to hardware solutions which have existed much longer than the software solutions.

If they wanted to simply make multiboxing against the rules, they wouldn’t likely allow 8 WoW accounts under the same battle.net nor would they have settings in the launcher to help accommodate it.

5 Likes
  • " use of input broadcasting __ to multiple WoW game clients … " -

There I fixed it for you.

1 Like

I feel like we’re on the verge of channeling the spirit of Donald Rumsfeld in this thread… “There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns.”

4 Likes

But if we know that there are unknown unknowns, are they really unknowns? :thinking:

2 Likes

How would they know? KVM switches don’t install drivers on the connected computers. There is no way to determine that someone’s wireless mouse and keyboard are connected to multiple computers using synchronized dongles. It goes back to how multi-boxing was originally done and why it’s called multi-boxing.

I’m not sure what it is you are trying to accomplish here. Legitimate multi-boxers were collateral damage when Blizzard banned key-cloning software, they weren’t the actual target.

6 Likes

That’s how it should be, but it’s not how it is.

You should only be able to run one instance of WoW at once on any given PC, and there should be some sort of check for VM’s or other WoW running in the system memory.

I’m very salty with botters and multiboxers.

1 Like

Your opinion, not policy. If you want to debate the topic you need to take it to General Discussion.

6 Likes

You quoted Vrakthris… an employee of Blizzard. Being an employee doesn’t mean that have the full voice of Blizzard. An entirely different set of employees have the full voice of Blizzard. They are the ones that set out the legal documents and press releases. It is why the blues so carefully choose to default to the powers that be for the final word.

Vrakthris is also clearly is expressing his opinion in that quote. He didn’t state what Blizzard’s stance was on the topic unequivocally, he stated what he has seen to be the prevailing winds on the topic as it regards to forum posts.

You may take that comment as being gospel. But I can assure you, it has no legal binding. Only Blizzard can state what is and is not allowed on their servers. And that stance can change over time.

1 Like

There literally is less loot. It’s not personal memory. Just log into classic, run an instance, count the loot that drops. Go into the same instance in retail, run the instance and count the loot that drops. Different. Loot tables changed.

It’s not the value of the items as much as the quantity of items. Less cloth drops. Less grays. Less of everything.

I don’t need to prove that it’s different. That’s not the point here. The point here is that people seem far too focused on having some unequivocal proof in hand in order to make any comment. Note here, I said comment, it’s not a legally binding doctrine under which you can be found guilty under a court of law.

People read everything with a magnifying glass looking for cracks in every little word. Looking for that “in”… aha, I’ve got them, take that!

This world has really gone to a bad place when every little thing a person says is considered actionable. You know it was never given in that context, but you apply it without a second thought.

Not everything is about proving one side is right or wrong. Sometimes… just sometimes… it is meant as a discourse… an open to a discussion… to understand both sides of the coin… because there are always two sides to the coin whether you choose to see it that way or not.

Personal commentary on this topic belongs in General Discussion, not Customer Support. Customer Support deals with the current policy. Any feedback on it or suggestions to change it belong in General Discussion, or the forum whose topic is relevant. PvP in the PvP forums, Professions in the Profession forum, etc.

“People” are looking for a loop-hole to allow them to use third-party software to facilitate multi-boxing, as per the original post in this thread. Blizzard is not going to give the OK for any third-party software, as Blizzard has no control over the software.

That discourse belongs in General Discussion, not Customer Support.

3 Likes

Vrak doesn’t give his opinion here. He is the voice of Blizzard policy on the forums. If a policy is to change it will be usually announced on the front page of the website. It also will be posted about here. Vrak is an official voice of Blizzard and posts as such here in that capacity. What he says is how policy is implemented by the CS department. If he (or any Blue here) makes a comment on a policy it is the official stance that Blizzard CS has.

8 Likes

Anyone with an account in good standing can post here. On forums, it is quite normal to have points you make debated and discussed. We’re really not here to discuss online sociological interaction.

Moving on, yes, there is less loot in Retail. It’s irrelevant to the topic at hand, though. You can look up the old change from Group Loot to Personal Loot if you are interested in specifics.

This thread is about Multiboxing rules, and the only way it’s going to continue (it’s gettting really, really close now to the end, I am sure) is if people stick to talking about that.

If you want to discuss and debate the behavior of forum users, or open discourse on PL versus old Group Loot, that’s absolutely acceptable. However, those are discussions for different threads, at a different time, out in General.

2 Likes

um, what? Vrakthris is the voice of Blizzard on these forums.

3 Likes

Good grief, can this thread be put to rest already?

This forum is a forum for players to assist other players with facts so that we can help to solve other people’s issues or help to clarify things as best we can for those who might not know where else to look.

This is not a place for opinions, debates, and conversation. That sort of thing belongs in General Discussion.

10 Likes

Full voice of Blizzard? No, my colleagues and I are generally not tasked to make announcements, updating legal documentations or issuing press releases. That said, Support Forum Agents like myself do speak to and try to clarify what policies and procedures we can, that is one of the main elements of my role here.

It is because of that role and the color of my text that I am very careful in the phrasing I use. If I am giving an opinion or am not 100% certain on my response, the language I use reflects that.

There are some very specific language involved with the policies around this subject, which is why we aren’t able to provide any more specifics than the official announcements and Support Articles.

It’s hard to tell what exactly you are referring to. The quote was responding to a comment that Twivil made stating the “majority” of the player base seems to think multiboxing itself is against the rules. I was speaking specifically to that, as it is not my experience that the “majority” of the player base does. Some do certainly, but not the majority. That really is less opinion and more… the data I have seen doesn’t support the statement Twivil made.

I believe this discussion has run its course so I’m going to be closing the thread.

11 Likes