Instance layering exploit

Steps to reproduce:

Forum Moderator Note: We do not allow posting possible exploits on our forums. If you feel that you have discovered one, please email hacks@blizzard.com and also follow the steps here to submit a bug report in-game.

Obviously there is a layer hop CD but it is much shorter than reclearing all of LBRS/UBRS.

Had this happen to me while in SM Cath on accident and was able to recreate this exploit multiple times.

I’ll take a modest finder’s fee of let’s say 500G delivered directly to me in game :slight_smile:

Exziled - Incendius

31 Likes

Well that’s game breaking right there

2 Likes

Must be fix, it’s OP as hell !

This is how hunters are solo farming princess

I mean, they can farm her w/o this but it’s faster

I’m confused, is the entire dungeon respawning along with the final boss? Or is only the final boss respawning…

Entire dungeon. So you can do this with any boss(es).

You’ve been able to do this with every single dungeon in wow, since the beginning of time. (Except for raids and heroics)

It’s an artifact and unwanted side effect of layering.

Should be easy enough to fix by not allowing layer changes in dungeons…

2 Likes

Is this also layering raids? i.e. infinite Ragnaros?

It’s funny because layering is not a feature anyone wanted, but Blizzard put it in anyways. Nice one, Blizzard.

3 Likes

This isn’t a bug. It’s been a valid way to reset dungeons (not raids), since wow first came out in 2004. This has always worked as a way to reset the dungeon, leave group, assign new party leader and run back in. It has worked with everything except raids and heroics since forever ago.

Is this used for gold farming to sell to the gold sellers? Seams like a total exploit to me. :frowning:

People are misunderstanding the OP. This isn’t a normal instance reset, this is an instance reset while you’re inside. Respawning a boss directly in front of you, via simply switching to a different layer. This is a huge exploit that should have been privately reported somehow, this is as bad as publicly posting a Dupe method.

Regardless, FIX ASAP holy crap

4 Likes

Yep, I looked for a way to privately report it but couldn’t find a way on the forums :confused:

Guess they’re worried it would be flooded by useless ones.

1 Like

imagine being so cheap on the servers u use layering instead and it ruins classic.

3 Likes

Bump for visibility

1 Like

If true not working as intended…

Allow me to clarify something on this. This isn’t normal dungeon resetting and there are a few steps the OP is forgetting to mention that make it work correctly. Namely that you must get phased onto a new layer, otherwise you get teleported out regardless this was something a friend of mine was talking about exploiting within the first few days but I dissuaded them from doing this because it was very likely bannable.

There’s a weird interaction of when you leave the instance group of a cleared ID and join an entirely different outside world layer that when it drags you over there, you’re technically out of that original group’s ID and the teleport goes away but your geographical position doesn’t change. So for an extreme example, one could use this to powerfarm the minibosses + Gandling in Scholomance since it would completely negate the need of having to do the dungeon to open the Viewing Room Door.

There’s also been streamers streaming doing this on Faerlina pretty blatantly but they only pull like 100 viewers so it’s somewhat off the radar.

As for doing this, it’s kind of a moot point because a large reason to do the whole dungeon in Classic is you often get a lot of gold. If you’re in a non trash group, Strat UD is solid gold per hour. When you completely skip the ziggurats it does skip 85% of the dungeon for powerfarming Animated Chain Necklace and Baron Cape but you get next to zero gold which honestly would dissuade a lot of people in and of itself unless they only cared for the cape or the rare chance at mount/sword.

5 Likes

OP is right. It happened by coincidence to my guild group in Mara. Our rogue was pretty much at princess, in a different instance with the mobs and bosses all respawned. It was like we reset the dungeon with him still inside of it and his characters location did not change

I said to my group in discord like “hey, this is totally exploitable. We could farm whatever boss we wanted…best pretend this didnt happen cause it definitely seems like youd catch a ban for something like this”

I figured people would exploit it once word got out. Just wasnt gonna be me…

@ all the people saying this is working as intended, youre misunderstanding. Literally spawning the boss in front of your face without needing to run out or reclear anything. Definitely a bug, and a particularly nasty, easy to repro, and heavily exploitable one at that. Im actually shocked it took me this long to see someone else mention it. Probably because the other people that know about it are using it lol

11 Likes

how is this not the top thread, this is insanely broken and OP

how much do u guys wanna bet that this wont get fixed for another month and no one will get banned or have gear taken away for killing rag 4 times in 1 hour. What a fùcking joke.

7 Likes