I'm fine with 1.12 AV

I want to express my content that 1.12 is the version of AV that we’re getting, given there are numerous threads here and on Reddit bashing the decision.

It appears to me that a common argument for wanting the pre-1.12 AV is that some players want to experience the ‘old days’ of day long AV matches (or longer). I can see why some would want to - there’s a certain attraction to being involved in “epic battles”, where some players have said that they want to feel like they’re really contributing to a war effort.

For those that played AV back in pre-1.12, be honest, do you really want to do that again?

I played in those matches back in Vanilla I can say that, in my personal opinion, it might have been cool the first time but ultimately they were painful. On my server (Jubei’thos) AV would invariably end up in a turtle on the bridge in the north of the map, near the Alliance bosses. Going to bed and then waking up only to join the same match really wasn’t as epic as some might imagine (or think they remember). It amuses me to see people wanting to re-introduce long AVs when I remember back to the amount of complaining that I used to see in those days about turtles.

Sure, there are some that played in those matches and want to re-live the experience. But I do think there is a level of nostalgia clouding some peoples’ memories. Dig deep, it wasn’t that much fun at all, was it? I asked a couple of mates today if they remember those AVs and said there are people on the forums clamouring for them. Not one of those mates said they remember them as being fun.

And for those that are saying they’re not going to play Classic because of 1.12 AV, there is SO much more to Classic than AV to look forward to. Just enjoy the game and be grateful for what we’re getting.

I’m super pumped for Classic and can’t wait for its release.

19 Likes

I remember the first AV on Khadgar. Stayed up all night to play it and it was a riot. Finally went to bed, woke up the next day and rejoined the same battle. We pushed the Alliance across the bridge after another 4 hours of play and killed Van. I died over 300 times just on that damn bridge that day. It was glorious.

But give me 1.12 instead, it was consistently a better experience.

3 Likes

You better hide, the hounds are going to be on you in seconds.

2 Likes

You know, I’m 1500 years old. I’ve killed twice as many forum trolls as that. And every one of them would have rather killed me than not succeeded. I’m only alive because fate wants me alive. AV trolls are just the latest of a long line of nerds, and they’ll be the latest to feel my vengeance - fate wills it so.

4 Likes

The answer to this is an easy “Yes.”

4 Likes

I agree OP.

I think the occasional turtle style match is good to be a part of every now and then, but if they are happening consistently it becomes a pain. I think 1.12 AV will give us the best of both worlds - occasional turtles that drag on and are glorious in the savagery, but also some timely games that still require capping of nodes but that also have a foreseeable end

3 Likes

I mean, even with 1.12 you can still have epic 3-4 hour battles. But according to people on other thread, people these days would rather just zerg because that’s more or less the modern thing to do.

It’s like if AV is short, that doesn’t sound like it’s 1.12 AV’s design that’s at fault but the players for just ignoring each other.

6 Likes

AVs are still going to last so long that by the time you’re halfway through friendly you’re going to wish 1.12 AVs were actually the 10 minute zergs you think they are.

You think you do, but you don’t.

But actually this time.

2 Likes

Issue here is that people want more of a challenge instead of this ‘welfare’ style wow, that’s why people look back to Vanilla wow - because it was hard, a worthy grind, and there was a purpose to playing.

1.12 was know as ‘the zerg bg’ because you could finish it under 15 min and everything else was easily ignorable. This might be more due to gear but we have to remember that not everyone who did AV was geared and you still had low lvl players joining.
We also have to realize that either by the time T1.5 or T2 start to become common AV will once again be zergable making the notion of ‘Vanilla’ that the vast majority remember gone.

I would rather see the NPC’s health/dmg increase to prevent AV becoming zerg fest and more challenging if they aren’t giving us a patch content AV.

@downspirit
You only see turtle style in modern wow because of reinforcements, 1.12 doesn’t have that (they even stated it doesn’t) so there in no reason to turtle as you’d still end up losing, that’s why you zerg and ignore each other.

@anncoulterx
you can get rep from the turn ins making those more desirable to actually do. It also means that turtle style had more meaning (for both sides) as you can get stronger units to help in the final push, rep gain, and it was an honor grind to do it.

1.12 was just pointless to do outside the weekly as you literally gained nothing that another BG would give you.

1 Like

No. Shut up. A group of noisy people have decided that 1.5 is best for everybody and that’s the way it has to be.

1 Like

Do you want ants? Because this is how you get ants.

1 Like

I would love to see pre 1.12 but i never expected to see it so im not as worked up as others are about it I guess. I was there during those times and it was glorious. Im not really upset about it though as 1.12 is vanilla and it was fine.

I agree OP.

1.12 AV is honestly the better option IMO.

1.5 av would be fun, don’t get me wrong… but there is only so many AVs you can play that lasts 4 days until you start to burn out and want them just to end. People only for 1.5-1.7 av are getting a little ridiculous.

1 Like

:cocktail:

I’m fine with 1.12 AV. It was fun then and it is still fun now.

Your question is the same thing current Wow players asked us when we wanted classic to begin with. The answer is, and always will be, yes. We think we do, and we actually do.

Very important:

1. 6 progessive content release phases :white_check_mark:
  2. Progressive itemization :grey_question:

Important:

1. 1.5 AV :x:
  2. No temporarily sharding at release :grey_question:

Would like to have:

1. Spell batching :grey_question:
  2. Progressive debuff slots from 8 to 16 :x:

There are so many cool, lost features of 1.5 AV which people who haven’t played on Nost-type servers are forgetting. I would prefer 1.5 AV for sure but I’m not about to pretend that the world is ending.

I think the original vanilla devs saw naturally occurring problems and tried to solve them with 1.10-1.12 AV. Under the same conditions the problems would return, unless the Classic team did some intelligent editing like what private servers did. I think we’d all prefer the intelligent editing solution but I forgive them having extended the content phases from 4 to 6.

After hitting exalted in AV nobody really wants to go back.

I played on Dark Iron with my first Vanilla toon which was a Medium pop realm that went to high during peak times. I remember being on during those hours and seeing one and sometimes two AV’s going. I remember the queues to get into those games. I’m supposed to believe that this was the best thing ever. Nah.

1 Like

I personally think that’s why they decided that 1.12 was the best in the long run. The thing is people are like omg bring back long battles but the truth is most will be content for a little on that but eventually people will slowly revert back to the complaints of long queues and long drawn out battles. Ya just like before there will be a small handful that will continue to love it till the day wow dies, but the majority will get over it. It just one of those decisions that makes sense in the long run.

2 Likes

Yeah, I understand what you’re saying. I just hate being dishonest with my opinion like a lot of these 1.5 av people are doing. I do prefer 1.12, but I’m not going to lie and say 1.5-7 was all bad… it was fun, I just think it is going to get stale and boring after the 4th time queing.

1 Like