If you're banning GDKP, what alternative solution are you offering?

GDKP has always been an imperfect solution to a very real problem. I exclusively run GDKP for my guild as well as pugs because it is objectively the best option I have, despite the very obvious downsides. GDKP in the current form is a 5/10 loot system (at best), but it is so much better than random rolls, loot councils, or any other alternative we have available.

Here’s a list of things that never happen in a GDKP, but happen all the time in other loot systems.

1. A person winning an item that they don’t actually want.
  2. A person being denied loot because of personal biases.
  3. A person being denied loot because someone else decided it isn’t good for them.
  4. Players winning an item they don’t need for free and trading it to a friend.
  5. Players winning an item they don’t need for free and selling it to someone else for gold.
  6. Players leaving when an item doesn’t drop.
  7. Players that “have to go” after 1 wipe.
  8. Inability to fill a spot when someone leaves halfway through the raid.
  9. Players walking away empty handed.
  10. Players never returning to raid content once they obtain enough the gear.

GDKP solves all of these problems, and yes, creates some new ones. But the community obviously chooses GDKP (despite the flaws) over the traditional methods. Look at WOTLK, you can barely find a raid anymore that isn’t GDKP and the same will happen in SoD. Why? Because GDKP is the community’s best solution to the problem.

Listen, I’m not married to GDKP and I openly accept the flaws, but it has simply been the best tool in my toolkit for all of the reasons stated above. Now you’re planning to ban it without offering anything in its place? What kind of an experiment is that? Who are you to tell the community that we’re wrong for choosing GDKP as a solution to these problems while not even acknowledging the problems or offering any solutions of your own? It sounds like you actually don’t understand the ground truth and think people run GDKPs because they support RMT. That’s not the ground truth, the vast majority of people run GDKPs because it best rewards them for their time (both as a buyer and as a carry). Simple as that.

So what would be an improvement?

Not that anyone asked before banning, but let’s consider a loot system that takes all the good from GDKP and leaves all the bad. I would target a new system that enables the same bidding and distribution to players as GDKP, but does so with a soulbound currency. If we earn raid emblems, for example, and use those to bid on gear - then the only way to farm the emblems is to kill raid bosses and/or get a distribution from completing a raid.

Bottom line

If there were a compelling loot system like the raid emblem bidding one above to take the place of GDKP I would view this change as a positive, but simply posting that “GDKP is banned” with no details and no alternatives is very short-sighted. This is only going to make the game worse and introduce all of the bad behavior listed above, and then some. Mark my words, the GDKP complaining posts will be replaced by posts about “ninjas” “rolling is unfair” “loot council is unfair” “reserves are unfair” and so on just like they were in 2005.

*Based on the feedback given in the interview today (2/6/24) combined with the fact that this post has over 1k comments and over 10k views I think it is safe to say they’ve read this feedback and have remained committed to the strawman argument against GDKP.
The legitimate GDKP player feedback does not appear to be valued. I’m cancelling all 4 of my wow subscriptions.

82 Likes

Deja vu

6 Likes

Soft reserve runs are a great alternative to GDKPs and better actually!

:popcorn:

Eats popcorn

50 Likes

None. Play the game like everyone else. Stop inflating gold. Bye!

93 Likes

Spamming threads is not a good idea.

9 Likes

How many more will cry about this? The more tears I read the better I feel inside.

58 Likes

Players will come up with something, like they did when they came up with gdkp.

4 Likes

The solution is to not buy gold and play the game normally.

51 Likes

I raided with loot council for years, and this is also a list of things that never happened in my raids.

It already exists. It’s called DKP (without the G).

35 Likes

Good luck using dkp, my guild dkp system back in vanilla was hacked 3 times. And the guild died because obviously nobody new wanted to join and start at the bottom.

4 Likes

as i said last time, the alternative solution is to join a guild

7 Likes

You are trading currency for items. Why does the currency need to be gold? Take the exact same system and run with it with DKP as another poster said.
If you want it to be like gold, have everyone start with “100g” of currency. Or, if you want gold to actually matter and have it be unfair from the start, have them start with currency equal to their total gold. You can open a trade and “flash your gold” by putting it in the trade window so people can’t lie about their net worth.

Now you are back to running gdkp but without the RMT influence.
All your so called problems you mentioned go away because the system I proposed above is literally identical to gdkp but without credit cards being in the mix.

Also, there’s not really any concept of dkp being ‘hacked’ if the dkp info is fully transparent and available to everyone. Everyone can see everyone’s ‘gold’ at all times and with a change log it would be obvious if something shady is happening.

1 Like

the solution is DEAL WITH IT… you dont have to play the game if you arent having fun with your loot system

7 Likes

Blizzard literally only recognizes their own as legit, they dont care about basic things like loot council, but you more than likely wont get support when the poo hits the fan.

How many posts you going to make guy lol.

8 Likes

If you have the same raid lead the only difference between Gdkp and reserve runs is that the rich don’t get prio.

3 Likes

Bergelmir runs a GDKP server on lone wolf and has been financially ruined by the ban, F for the man

If you’re looking forward to a world where BIS items are all HR’ed and/or bartered away in every single raid then enjoy what’s coming.

5 Likes

I’m sorry your money making scheme is banned now, maybe go grift somewhere else?

16 Likes

Gold soft reserve is really the only good alternative to GDKP.