I believe a trial by combat(same as Mark vs Zuck) is the last resort to fix this spec, I wrote this in another thread but I consider it deserves its own.
Disc patch 10.2
- mass dispel gutted, the move to a pvp talent is awful as we are already chocked on mandatory ones and on top the cast time is increased.
- mindblast from 2 charges with 9 sec cd to 1 charge with 24 seconds cd and it does 35k dmg and heals for 35k atonement before any damp/ms so its useless…
- Dark Indulgence no longer grants an additional charge of Mind Blast. Instead, Mind Blast has a 100% chance to grant Power of the Dark Side.
We were already getting this from purge dot and it doesnt stack if we get proc the same time, so kinda useless talent
- removal of Solace - we lose dmg and the ability to kill psyfiend/totems/warlock observer
- we lose schism however it gets baked into Mindblast but its bad because before if we were kicked on holy we could cast schism + 2x mindblasts
- Atonement is now 36% more effective in PvP Combat (was 89%).
- Flash Heal is no longer increased by 30% in PvP Combat.
- Power Infusion Haste reduced to 20% (was 25%) and duration reduced to 15 seconds (was 20 seconds).
- nerf on Fade -Dispel/Massdispel
- rotation is forced into penance(too easy to kick or waste trying to fake) and smite
- New Talent: Mental Agility – Reduces the mana cost of Purify, Purify Disease, and Mass Dispel by 50% and Dispel Magic by 10%
- Shadow Covenant has been redesigned to be a passive talent – Shadowfiend or Mindbender enters you into a shadowy pact
- New Talent: Ultimate Penitence – Ascend into the air and unleash a massive barrage of Penance bolts, causing Holy damage to enemies or healing to allies over 6 seconds. While ascended, gain a shield for 50% of your health. In addition, you are unaffected by knockbacks or crowd control effects.
- this is quite cool however its a cheap version of holy pala tyr’s because besides having a cast time it also has a channel time and it can be kicked… 4 min cd reduced by penance bolts…
Atonement is increased by 50% when not in a raid.
Penance healing increased by 30%, Shield increased by 10%, Flash Heal increased by 40%
- seems like we will be forced into playing the mindbender build and its kinda tragic since it requires the pet to be in melee range to do dmg, its not as cool as druid trents… and with the amount of mini cc’s, aoe stuns, aoe fears, aoe slows, aoe roots this bender wont ever connect to the target most of the time
- its way easier to lock down a disc priest with those changes
- our healing power still stays horrible in PvP
- Purge of the Wicked dot still costs 4500 mana when holy priest Shadow Pain/Resto shaman flame shock costs 750 mana
- Disc revolves way too much around Penance now and its not an ability you can fake cast with unless you lose its benefit… just kick penance and bye bye disc
- set bonus is not good at all, we will never have the GCDs to cast smite for 8k-12k dmg and 12k heal before dampening/ms effects
- I had high hopes on the disc rework considering how good the ret/holy pala were, reality is this sucks… disappointed
how to fix disc priest for PvP:
make penance not kickable or fire school(we already have radiant dmg thats fire&holy on dot&radiance) heal/damage or change Dark Indulgence to make penance always be dark reprimand and we can keep dark reprimand(shadow covenant version of penance) the way it is… with this new rework Penance is just way too important in the rotation and you cant be effective at fake casting this ability so having it holy school makes it too damn easy to lock down a disc priest.
make shadowfiend/mindbender a ranged pet same as druid trents, having this as a melee pet its so bad as it always gets aoe rooted/aoe stunned/aoe cc’ed… or gets lost on maps like blade edges arena its just awful… give it some abilities like shadow mend / bake the schism into the pet / give the pet some shadow shield
make minblast a powerful single target heal for arena that has a burst heal or make it apply a debuff so that the next 100k+ dmg done by the target is absorbed, right now you heal for 35k via atonement before DAMP or any MS effect… what do I do with this on a 24 seconds CD?!
buff Lenience talent for PvP, a 3% dmg reduction on on targets with atonement is just so useless, make it 10-15-20% for PvP as disc priest is all about reducing damage… holy paladin Glimmer talent called Light’s Protection is a good example of how this should work.
reduce the mana cost of Purge of the Wicked from 4500 to something similar to Shadow Word Pain from Holy Priest or Flame Shock from Resto Shaman that costs 750 mana… its absolutely mandatory to keep your dot up as a disc(based on class design) and having such a high cost makes no sense. at high ratings disc priests dont even use the dot because its a waste of mana and the atonement heal from it is not strong enough.
rework Ultimate Penitence, it makes no sense to have a cast time and on top of that has a channel time, its too easy to kick this ability that has a 4 minutes cd in PvP. Right now this is a cheap version of Tyr’s Deliverance from holy paladin.
give back the 2 charges on mindblast, the current talent Dark Indulgence is completely useless as we were already getting procs for Power of the Dark Side by using our dot and those procs do not stack with the 100% proc from mindblast. Having 1 charge of mindblast also removes the usage of Expiation/Twilight talents rendering them useless.
buff renew by an additional 25% in pvp
buff radiance by 25% in pvp
buff disc priest mending by 50% in pvp
buff smite in PvP by 500%, right now on PTR with the BIS gear that I have it hits for 8k dmg, yeah 8k and players have around 700k+ hp. So the devs want me to CAST “smite” for 8k dmg and risk getting holy locked? yeah sure
Proving my arguments that the devs have no clue how the spec is being played. have a look at this set bonus or the data linked by our fellow player below:
(2) Set Bonus: Smite and Penance damage increased by 20% and Smite extends the duration of an active Atonement by 2 seconds.
(4) Set Bonus: Smite has a 100% chance to cast an additional time during Shadow Covenant, dealing Shadow damage.
Having a set designed around a filler ability instead of improving the spec’s core abilities is just… sad.
PS. Before writing this post I tested disc priest on PTR, talked with Mehh(top priest from EU) regarding the impact of the changes, possible new builds, tier effectiveness, spec output in PvP…and Absterge also agrees after reading my post that disc priest will still “suck”.
CastSmite streamer(top 10 disc player) also agrees that the current re-design just sucks even more and it’s also less fun… and by the looks of it Blizz wants us to cast smites… but the spell is so weak it doesnt even worth being used…
Smíght(aka Trashdiscx/Jnglpriestx/etc, Rank 1 of R1s on ladder disc) also agrees discipline priest needs buffs as it can be see in the chat down below.